well, I have to play bass infront of about 30 people to help a friend out with his music gcse and i was wondering is using a pick wrong? i just find it more comfortable than using my fingers. i have played before using a pick but with my band so it doesn't really matter when it isn't being graded. But with a music examiner there and the whole schools music department is it still ok to use a pick? The style is sort of pop if that makes a difference.
Quote by Jackolas
If I opened an Indian my slogan would be...

"If you don't crap your pants within five minutes of consumption you get a free warm soda!"
There's nothing wrong with it. You're not the one being graded anyway

Only thing is that the sound may not fit the song, but that's a minor concern.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
ok thanks, yer thats what i was thinkin :P just don't want to look stupid infront of the other people. but thanks
Quote by Jackolas
If I opened an Indian my slogan would be...

"If you don't crap your pants within five minutes of consumption you get a free warm soda!"
As long as you like it and it is comfortable, there is no "right" way to play bass, obviously there are some things that will help if you do them such as using all your fingers to fret but playing with a pick isnt wrong
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
A hell of a lot of really decent bass players use picks.

(Though most virtuoso's use their fingers.)
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
There is no right way to play bass, you could play one upside down and rubbing a pineapple on it if you wanted. As long as it sounds good and you feel good with the way you play. And like the other guy said a lot of good bass players use a pick.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Ranxston
you could play one upside down and rubbing a pineapple on it if you wanted.

Dont say that, the guy from Scissor Sisters may be reading and get ideas...

Threadstarter, just paly with a pick - no one will even notice or care to be honest mate.
Quote by Applehead

Threadstarter, just paly with a pick - no one will even notice or care to be honest mate.

Now you've gone and jinxed it, next thing you know Wooten, Hamm and Sheehan all rush in and carry him off to be deprogrammed in the middle of the gig.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Now you've gone and jinxed it, next thing you know Wooten, Hamm and Sheehan all rush in and carry him off to be deprogrammed in the middle of the gig.

Is that a given? (Goes and grabs a pile of picks in antipation of being kidnapped by Stu Hamm..)

As the Bruces said in the famous Monty Python skit--First rule--there are no rules..
Hopefully they won't care too much, because then it means they weren't doing as good of a job listening to the other guy's GCSE. That is as long as you aren't obnoxious somehow.
Thats one of the things I love about bass... there is (almost) no wrong way of playing it.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
No, there is no wrong way to play it, but some ways are more efficient than others. Personally, seeing kids downpick like mother****ers annoys me. It really really annoys me. If you're going to play with a pick, I suggest you make sure your alternate picking is in it's top form! Up-down-up! Or, more naturally, down-up-down!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..