Well, I started off playing bass for a band that was just for fun a few years ago. After that, I picked up an acoustic guitar and started playing it and hadn't really touched my bass besides random days for almost a year. I loved it, and me and my best friend did a small acoustic project(just for work, we travel almost a thousand miles away from home and stay for about half the month...every month) because it was all we could do since it wasn't too loud for the hotels they paid for us.

Now, we are wanting to start another band. It's only 3 people so far(me and my best friend that was in the other 2) and drummers are so rare here. So I decided it'd be best if I started drums. Where can I find a good place to get started? Also, what would be a good set of drums to get for a rock band? I don't want to get a cheap set just for startes to see if I like it, I want to go ahead and look for a set that's good enough to play gigs with. If we ever have to record, our studio has awesome drums they provide for free.

Thanks.
if your going to start a band, get a confident drummer. otherwise it is guaranteed that you will suck.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Hmm..do you know of a friend who has drums? You can try out your abilities on those, I did that this weekend and nearly shit myself at how fun it was. If you know any drummers, ask them for advice, or you can PM Sanctus Ignis, he plays drums and I know him pretty well.

And if you're looking for styles to try out to get you started, look at the jazz drummers before the 60s, a lot of modern drummers get influences from them. My favorite drummer is Philly Joe Jones from the Miles Davis Quintet, check 'em out.

italiaEDIT: Don't be fooled by his stupidity that you may see, Sanctus Ignis is incredibly knowledgeable on drums. He's my lead guitarist and musical partner also. I give him much credit.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Hmm..do you know of a friend who has drums? You can try out your abilities on those, I did that this weekend and nearly shit myself at how fun it was.
And you weren't too shabby, either.

For gear, I would reccommend a 5-piece kit (snare, 3 toms, bass), with a hi-hat, couple crashes, and a ride cymbal. That simple setup will get you where you want to go.

I personally use a Tama Swingstar kit with Sabian B8 cymbals. Pretty cheap stuff, but great quality. If you don't want to spend money on lessons, find a friend who's particularly knowledgeable and go from there.

Hope this helps, and happy drumming!
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx: