Without further delay, here are this weeks answers to Frks In-Quiz-Ition:

In-Quiz-Ition - Week 3 : What the Frk?!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Identify the following key signature

_Db _ Major or _Bb_Minor

2. How many 32nd notes make up a dotted eighth note?
3. Give a Roman numeral with figured bass analysis of the following passage (be sure to include key!!)

Ahhh, gotta love analysis work

g: i V i6 i VI V42/N* N6* viiº7/V i64 V i

*in place of the N (standing for neapolitan) i would have also accepted bII as they are the same thing

4. Either spell out (ex. C-E-G for a C major chord), or paste in guitar chord form the viiº 42 / V in the key of G major

the viiº42/V in the key of G means the fully diminshed seventh chord in third inversion of the V chord. As the V chord is a Dmaj, the viiº7 of that would have been c#º7
spelled: C#-E-G-Bb

put that in third inversion (with the seventh of the chord in the bass) and you get: Bb-C#-E-G

5. According to Circle of fifths progression rules, the vi chord in any major key can go to what 3 diatonic chords?

The vi chord resolves to the IV chord, ii chord and the V chord

6. a. What is the Neapolitan chord?

The Neapolitan chord is a major triad constructed on the lowered second scale degree. It is most often found in minor keys but it is sometimes found in major keys as well. It is often notated as N but can also be notated as bII
b. What inversion is it most commonly found in

It is most commonly found in first inversion (with the third of the chord in the bass)

7. From the bass note, what are the intervals that make up a half diminished 7th chord in 2nd inversion?

The intervals stacked on the Fifth of a half dim seventh chord are
Major 6th (M6)
augmented 4th (+4)
Major 3rd (M3)
Bass note

Often times in figured bass the sixth is omitted so as you can see, these intervals are where the second inversion seventh chord gets its figured bass symbol - 643 or 43 (with the ommited sixth) - from

Thanks a lot Forkman. Looks like figured bass is becoming a theme. Guess I need to brush up. Nice quiz, A+.

Props to everyone who participated.

Expect a new quiz in the next couple of days.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by psychodelia
How many people ended up taking the quiz?

I think a handful this time.

dang, glad i didnt do this one because i wouldnt have been able to get much. Im trying to learn a lot from the answers.

One question - about number 7. It says the intervals stacked on the half diminished chord in 2nd inversion. That means stacked on the fifth.
This is what confuses me. I figured that (basing it off the C half diminished, C Eb Gb Bb), the fifth is Gb, making it Gb Bb Eb C.

The interval from Gb -> Bb is a Major 3rd
The interval from Gb -> Eb is a Major 6th
The interval from Gb -> C is an Augmented 4th.

I think i figured it out (had a question, before i edited.) Is this the correct way of doing this?
Thanks

Edit: so based off the major scale, a Neopolitan chord is made up of a minor 2nd, a diminished 4th, and a minor 6th?

last question ( i hope ), an i64 would be.. a minor chord, (basing off C), would be a
Cm (C Eb G), would be spelled G - Eb - C, because G -> Eb is a m6 and G -> C is a P4.
Did i do that correctly?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by nightwind
I think a handful this time.

I would've answered had it been up before Monday. if it went up before then, I didn't notice it. But 2 days was not enough for me to free up time to answer it. I do all my crap on Fridays & Sundays. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
So what are the results. Like who got what place?

Psychodelia?!?!

Orange name!?!?!

Congrats man.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Ahh..I got 3 out of the 4 I tried to answer correct. Hooray!

Once again, I ask: Who hosts the next one
^ If you don't do it Kirb it will be BCG

Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Ahh..I got 3 out of the 4 I tried to answer correct. Hooray!

Once again, I ask: Who hosts the next one

You have an orange name as well. Man, what happened here. Who else has one?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by nightwind
^ If you don't do it Kirb it will be BCG

Well, like I said in the PM I sent you a few days ago (or last week?) I'm busy for this week too. Next week most likely. So I guess BGC will do it.
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Its a modding extravaganza!

Top 3?

yes you made it. i tried sending you your score with an explanation but everytime i hit send, my computer froze. It's prob because i have dial up and my parents refuse to upgrade. oh well.

i don't remember the exact scores because i think my dad threw away the paper that i had everything written down on but the ranks went as follows

1. Psychodelia 44/44 (no wonder your name is orange!!)
2. Kmbuchamushroom 38/44
3. Coffeeguy9 (don't remember your score, somewhere in the 30's)
4. Justin Fraser (don't remember you either. sorry)

i decided to post 4 because that was all that entered

EDIT: nvm BGC is bangoodcharlote right??
hmmmm...
Last edited by fenderfrk10 at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by justin_fraser
So what are the results. Like who got what place?

Psychodelia?!?!

Orange name!?!?!

Congrats man.

Thanks matey.

Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Woot! second place again. No way anyone was going to beat Psychodelia

Well, these quizzes have been pretty straightforward. The uberjazz types would own me if we had a quiz involving lots of substitutions and crap (which we should).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Woot! second place again. No way anyone was going to beat Psychodelia

yep. apparently orange display names are code for music theory beasts
hmmmm...
This quiz and mine both have figured bass analysis questions... the MT sticky doesn't have anything on figured bass, and I only learned through classes. Perhaps there should be a lesson on it that we can put up in the sitcky?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^^yea i noticed that. It's just pretty much everyday in MT class we do a couple analysis passages or a bach chorale for HW.
hmmmm...
Jeez, 4th, out of 4 people. Absolutely terrible. I knew I didnt get that figured bass stuff, Ive never seen it before. And those inversions and what not i have never learned either.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by fenderfrk10
^^yea i noticed that. It's just pretty much everyday in MT class we do a couple analysis passages or a bach chorale for HW.

Yeah, I was notating some Beethoven stuff for AP Theory while doing the quiz
^ This is why I like you.

The basics at least should go up. They aren't too difficult to grasp, nor to explain.

Do you have the initiative, psych?

I have the initiative, but not the time (at the moment).

The last week in March is my vacation; I'll write it up then.
Quote by psychodelia
I have the initiative, but not the time (at the moment).

The last week in March is my vacation; I'll write it up then.

Jazz on. It's good to have you as one of The Boyz.

Ya if we could get some jazz oreintated theory, that would be my cup of tea. Maybe I will have more thatn 25% right then
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
^ Just say the word and the quiz will be yours

Same. Jazz theory sounds like something worthwhile to learn. Ah, this is why I love MT, I learn something new all the time
I looooove Jazz theory. I personally find that contemporary theory is boring (not saying that its all boring and I still enjoy it) but jazz theory is awesome. Oddly enough.

I think a better sentence would be that Jazz theory is a lot more interesting imo.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by nightwind
^ Just say the word and the quiz will be yours

Did you notice that I just got less that 30% on this quiz? And I wouldnt be able to make it hard enough for all these theory buffs. Im sure Mark would be able to whip something up pretty quick. Maybe even John.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Both would be good.

I'd love to see a Cor quiz, that'd set record lows if people attempted it.
Quote by psychodelia
Both would be good.

I'd love to see a Cor quiz, that'd set record lows if people attempted it.

Cor? Whats that?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
^He means Corwinoid.

I did offer to do this weeks, and planned on doing it over the last couple of days - but a loss in the family prevented me from getting to a computer and having the time. (Sorry for letting you down on this one Justus).. but, if no-one else takes the initiative, I have some time tomorrow to write up a nice jazz theory based quiz for you guys, if you like.

Congratulations on becoming a CC, Psych - and you Brando.

Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by justin_fraser
And I wouldnt be able to make it hard enough for all these theory buffs.

Same here lol. If I made one it would basically be like addition to a 4th grader

To John: Thanks, and sorry to hear about the loss in the family.

To psychodelia: I remember in UG's Theory Onslaught thread, Cor posted a big one with a bunch of theory questions. I guess you could call it a "quiz".

Since it's so much fun seeing what people don't know, I'll throw a few in...
I'm real big on the understanding over memorization thing, so in a lot of places I don't just ask for answers, I want you to think about it also.

Define: Counterpoint

What are the four (five, if you're really good) types of contrapuntal motion?

Define: tone row
What are the four melodic variations that can be applied to a tone row?
How do those variations apply to tonal melody?
What are the two basic temporal variations?

As it applies to melody (not computers), what is a sequence? What is a repetition? How are they different? What is a motif, and how does it differ from a sequence? What is a modified sequence? What's the most common element of a motif that's retained through its usage?

Give a basic overview of sonata-allegro form; what types of music does it apply to today?

What does 'strophic' mean, and how does it apply to modern music? "Modified-strophic" form is most common in what two types of contemporary music? Compare to "through-composed", and what types of music you would expect to hear it in.

How would you achieve a final 5-4-3-2-1 melodic passage harmonically? (assume minor... ie. in c minor, a final melody of G-F-Eb-D-C.

What is tritone substitution?
What are the augmented sixths, and what are their function?
How are the two related?

List four ways to modulate between keys. Which are useful for modulating to related keys; which are useful for modulating to remote keys?
What is the Neapolitan 6th? How can it be used for modulation, and to what key most commonly?

Classical harmony: What is the tendency of the fourth scale degree? The 7th scale degree? The 7th of any chord? In what ways does it matter in contemporary music?

Harmony and composition: What's the preferred doubling for root position chords? What's the preferred doubling for first and second inversion? Third inversion? Why don't extensions 'invert'? With consecutive first inversion chords, what's the preferred method of handling the doubling?
What are the three (or four, if you rather) types of second inversion chords?

What are the four basic types of chords, as they relate to chord grammer? (Hint: V-I)
Which diatonic chords belong to which type?

What is paralellism? Who made it popular? What style of music did they (it) greatly influence? What instrument is it easiest on? What types of scales are most commonly used in parallel harmony, and why? How does it apply to contemporary music?

On the same note... what does 'octatonic' mean? What does it imply? What then, does 'diatonic' mean, and what does it refer to specifically (I'll assume you know the common meaning is a major or minor scale)?

What is metric modulation?
What is polymeter? Alternating meter? What's the difference?
What is polyrhythm? What's the distinction between pure polyrhythm, and artificial polyrhythm? How does it compare to polymeter?

What are the most common durations of melodic phrases? Is there a reason? What is the most basic defined phrase group? What distinguishes it? Name two other types of phrase grouping. Why is it important in contemporary music?

I've asked a lot about why things are important in today's music... so I ought to throw this in also. Name the three current musical movements, not including popular music. For the sake of this, use the broadest definition possible on 'popular', ie. rock, pop, hip-hop, r&b, rap, etc.

As an excersize in critical thinking: What seperates high art, or art music, from popular music. Between the two, how would you classify the following artists: Vai, Satch, Hendrix, Petrucci, Robert Fripp, and Zappa? What type of music has had more influence on you as a young musician? Why is that important?

Indeed.
Quote by Johnljones7443
^He means Corwinoid.

I did offer to do this weeks, and planned on doing it over the last couple of days - but a loss in the family prevented me from getting to a computer and having the time. (Sorry for letting you down on this one Justus).. but, if no-one else takes the initiative, I have some time tomorrow to write up a nice jazz theory based quiz for you guys, if you like.

Congratulations on becoming a CC, Psych - and you Brando.

Thanks mate

And at kirby's post, I remember that now... I would be confident in maybe getting half. And somehow I don't think he made it as hard as he could have.

Cor made a post once on creating melody and things, which I glanced at a while back but didn't understand then. Does anyone remember where that was?
Last edited by psychodelia at Mar 15, 2007,
i still have yet to understand figured bass.....anyone care to explain some of the more technical aspects of it in pms or something?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
i still have yet to understand figured bass.....anyone care to explain some of the more technical aspects of it in pms or something?

Well, if you could pm me with what you understand right now, I might be able to tell you some new things..
Unstickied, new quiz is up.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje