I want to buy a new guitar for $250-300 USD. I'll be running it through my Tascam CD-GTMK II, and then out to some speakers. I really like the tone of John Frusciante, especially on Under The Bridge and the songs on Californication. I currently looking at a Squier Deluxe Strat QMT. What do u guys think and are there any other guitars that i should look at?
Look for a Mexican made '62 re-issue Stratocaster I really don't know if they make them but I recently bought a re-issue of an American made 70's Strat. John uses vintage guitars, so vintage would be the way to go. The american made sound better but mexicans are usually cheap.
Clean valve amp and a Strat and a Muff and a wah.

But if you want a guitar for that much, get a used Mexican Strat.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Something like the Blues Junior? How would that work with a Big Muff? I know John uses Marshalls and Fenders so the clean might be pretty close, but what about the dirty muffed sound? Yes I've tried the amp once and to my ears it was good but I'm no expert with tone.
Quote by Chips-
^ Something like the Blues Junior? How would that work with a Big Muff? I know John uses Marshalls and Fenders so the clean might be pretty close, but what about the dirty muffed sound? Yes I've tried the amp once and to my ears it was good but I'm no expert with tone.

a big muff would do the muffy tone youre talking about, and a DS-2 for the not so fuzzy stuff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Yep, i would go for a used mexi strat along with a big muff and maybe a crybaby. If you want a tube amp on a budget maybe look into valve jr's. I was thinking about getting one myself for cranked tube tone but i ordered a big muff instead,
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.