just been reading a thread below about audacity, how do u record using audacity, do u just plug the bass into the mic port without an amp?
You can, if you want a totally natural sound (straight from the pups). But u can also use the line out from your amp, provided you have the right leads to plug into the mic/line in port. Hope it helped
Quote by piop
You can, if you want a totally natural sound (straight from the pups). But u can also use the line out from your amp, provided you have the right leads to plug into the mic/line in port. Hope it helped

Can you explain this more? I tried running my bass through my GK head and using a speaker out to the mic in on the computer, and it wouldn't work.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i have a hiwatt b60 amp and it doesn't have a line out but at the back there is a hole for the "main speaker" could i just run an amp line from the control panel straight into my computer?
to Your41Plague12, this could be for any number of reasons. E.g. You have plugged into the wrong port, your volume is turned down, you havn't got/selected a sound card. Really you just have to fiddle.

to ashlew, give it a try it might work. For me i either play straight in and use effects on my computer or i plug into my Spider in the guitar in and then use the rec. out into my mic port.
I just tried mine out and it worked out well. I ran a cable from my amp's headphone jack to the mic slot in the computer. It ran fine.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I've never been really happy with the sound I get from line-out to line-in connections. It lacks a certain organic feel. Besides that, my low B string tends to clip out on me.

I prefer to set a dynamic mic (I got mine for $35 at RadioShack) in front of the amp, and run it to the mic input on the back of my PC. I tend to set the mic about four inches in front of the amp, at a 45-degree angle to the right side of the speaker.

I've used this method on my 60w bass amp, a 20w vintage Marshall guitar amp, a 15w Crate guitar amp, and a 30w Zoom modeling amp. They all sound awesome. Speaker quality is a large part of your sound, whether you realize it or not.

Also, to record, I have my amp on the far side of the room, while I either sit or stand at the computer with headphones on. I don't monitor the incoming sound through the headphones - I just listen to the running mix, or just the drum track (Hydrogen is your friend, kids). The amp is usually loud enough to cut through the noise-canceling circuitry I've got in my headset.

Ideally, there should be a preamp between the amp (if mic'd or DI'd) and the computer.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Ideally, there should be a preamp between the amp (if mic'd or DI'd) and the computer.

it might be a stupid question but what is a pre-amp?
Quote by ashlew
it might be a stupid question but what is a pre-amp?

A device that conditions the signal before it is amplified further.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
wrooong forum.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!