My bass' setup is crap, and I am crap too at adjusting it, so I thought I'd bring i to the shop.

They're charging me 50 bucks for it, plus polishing the finish and conditioning the fret board and what not.

Is it worth it?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
I'd say yes. The overall sound will be much better, and you'll probably just spend it on booze/candy anyways.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Yeah that's not a bad price, I paid $40 to get my guitar set-up at a local shop, so $50 sounds comparable.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
That sounds about right. And if it extends the life of your bass and makes it better, its worth it.

Another way to look at it is figure out how long it would take you to do it to the level that the shop does, times that times the current minimum wage for your area and see if its cheaper to have you do it. Remember in some cases, time is money .
Erm, on an average how long do they take to do it?

There's only one professional shop I can find.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Thanks, Zeelod.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
$50 bucks for a setup? the most any place charges around here is $25, and thats including a new pack of strings (though if they are putting new strings on your bass i suppose $50 wouldnt be too bad) you should relly just learn to do it yourself, one you get good a basic setup takes less than an hour.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Sorry, the shop I use was set up by a bunch of old players and I guess they just like to be nice.
The time it takes depends really, sometimes just 20 minutes for the basic quick fix, but for what your looking for will take no longer than a day. Like drop your bass off during the day and pick it up the next day. I guess it also depends on if they have to set up any other instruments.

Love the Low end
Quote by 6stringbasshred
What are they actually doing when they say "setting it up" ?
Just fiddling with the bridge etc to give it a better sound?

Action, truss rod adjustment (if needed), intonation, pup height.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Whell it depends on what kinda setup you are looking for.

If it is just basic action, truss and intonation then you are getting ripped off.

But if it is the full on fret polishing, finish polishing, fretboard cleaning, electronics sheilding, tuning machine cleaning, the kitchen sink, etc. then yes it is worth 50$.

Jsut remember, with stuff like action and pickup height, there really isn't a "wrong way" to set those up. Remember to tell them how you want it to play and sound. You can go with low action for ease of play. Or high action for a very clean sound. Low pickups for a softer smooth sound. Or hihg pickups for a deep thrashy sound. Your choice.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
$50 bucks for a setup? the most any place charges around here is $25, and thats including a new pack of strings (though if they are putting new strings on your bass i suppose $50 wouldnt be too bad) you should relly just learn to do it yourself, one you get good a basic setup takes less than an hour.

Question, why $25 ever though the strings itself cost about 30 bucks?

I decided that I can do the polishing and crap by myself because they're charging 20 bucks just to do it when I can buy two bottles of polish for the same price.

I want to a different store. He's going to set it up and gimme some D'Addario XLs for 56 bucks.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Quote by shotbythepope
Question, why $25 ever though the strings itself cost about 30 bucks?

Most shops have their own generic strings, that cost like $10.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.