Right, there seem to be so many guitarist around and so few bassists that it's difficult to get a decent band going. So i'm considerering switching to bass.

I found a reasonably priced active bass, a Washburn XB120. If that's not a wise choice tell me now.

I've looking through some bass amps of a gig-worthy size but i haven't seen anything that's caught my eye that's not ridiculously priced. So do you have any suggestion for a good bass amp?

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Washburn basses are pretty nice...especially for starting with. As for an amp, Ampeg and Ashdown get a lot of credit around here as nice amps. GK and Hartke are great too though.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
What's your price range? Will it be a gigging amp? Bedroom practice? Band practice? Wembley Stadium? What kinda music do you play?

I'm sure we all want to help, but nobody can do anything worth a damn if you don't give more info than that.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
if your going to be playing shows, look at something like an Ashdown Mag 300 head and either a 410 or 210 cab depending what size you want. They're good, reliable and sound so sexy. some of the gallien krueger backsline series heads are good. if your looking at combos, maybe a fender bassman, ashdown mag combo, ampeg ba series, that kinda stuff
Quote by Caustic
What's your price range? Will it be a gigging amp? Bedroom practice? Band practice? Wembley Stadium? What kinda music do you play?

I'm sure we all want to help, but nobody can do anything worth a damn if you don't give more info than that.

I'd say price 200-300. Yeah, band practice and gigging amp. I play pretty much everything under the sun; blues, rock, metal and i study classical aswell.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
save up a few more quid and get a Warwick profet 300 and a nice 2x10
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Cool, thanks. The ampegs look a tad expensive though =S

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
My opinions on the amps mentioned thus far:

Cheaper Ampegs do not sound like real Ampegs, and you're paying for the name. They are not good economy at all. The BA series sounds really muffled to my ears (and I've tried some nice basses through them). I really wanted to like the BA115HP when I tried that but I just couldn't. Maybe the speaker needed breaking in or something but it sounded like there was a towel over the amp.

I own an Ashdown MAG 400W 410. To my ears, it was the best amp for the money. However it is not for everyone by any means! If you want a big round warm sound with a strong fundamental then Ashdown is probably the amp for you. I also like it with a decent overdrive or fuzz in front of it. However, if you want super-versatile then Ashdown isn't it. Also, I'd recommend the 10" speakers over the 15.

G-K have got really popular over the last few years basically because Flea raves about them. They're well specced and very versatile - especially popular for slap. I've heard that the Backline series speakers aren't the best but I haven't had the chance to compare to other speakers myself.

Ibanez aren't known for their great amps. I've never tried one though.

I haven't tried any Fender bass amps. Nowhere in Cornwall carries them!

I wasn't happy with the Warwick amps I tried. I think I'd probably like them better if I was more into slap or funk, but they sounded too cold and sterile for what I was after.