Alright people, I'm thinking of quiting guitar. I have a few reasons for it you all might think they arent good but I do.

Reason one, I never properly learned how to play which is discouraging me when I do try things. Its mainly my fault but also my teacher that I had when I first started. I dont think he was hard enogh on me to make what I learned stick.

Reason two, because of reason one playing makes me aggrivated and then I stop playing. Its making me think that guitar isnt the instrument for me.

Ok so thats the major reasons why. I guess I'm asking what you guys think I should do.
I dont know why you would force yourself to play guitar, or even force yourself to quit playing guitar. If you enjoy it, you'll do it. If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it as often.

Setting such a mandatory goal for yourself as quitting and never picking it up again seems silly imo. Just do what you feel like.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
if you really htink it isnt the guitar and you dont enjoy it then go ahead and quit, but i would reccomend sticking with it, guitar is very fun once you get the hang of a few pretty simple things. i taught myself so i know how you feel about all of this.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Just like take a break from playing or something or work on easier songs and keep practicing until you get better.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Last edited by kyle100 at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by absinthe5765
why would you QUIT playing an insurment. if you dont like it, dont do it as much, but keep around just in case u get bored and wanna play again.

+1

and also, what guitar do you have?

and also, it's not meant to be just like that *clicks fingers* when it comes to learning songs, but to some people it does hwever, but that's because they're very experienced.
If you have something clever to say, don't bother, most people won't get it.

ZOMFG TEH SP33[) I-I4><!!1!

No... Herman Li's just really good...

"Yes I do like marmalade in my eggs! Thank you for asking!"

Quote by Chubbes_Hammet
How do you sig people?

Play if you enjoy it.

If you hate it then dont bother with it.

Im shite at guitar and i love just farting about on it.
Its called being a n00b at guitar. EVERYONE went thru the same thing you did. Dont think that you can just pick up a guitar and shred like Vai. This stuff takes time. Ive been playing for 2 years now and its not even close to being what i want it to be. Learn patience, and then you will learn guitar.
try some other instruments..
the guitar probably isn't for you
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Disasterpiece08
yeah but like even if I do ever get bored and decide I want to pick it up again I need like to learn actually. ya know.

Then get a bloody teacher!
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by Oreos_own_all
+1

and also, what guitar do you have?

and also, it's not meant to be just like that *clicks fingers* when it comes to learning songs, but to some people it does hwever, but that's because they're very experienced.

I have a Dean Baby Z.
Like when I did take lessons for I think it was 1 month I learned some but like now I dont even remember how to read music(which I was great at while I was taking lessons). I dont know Ill tyr taking a break and getting back to it during summer.
Quote by Metal claw
Don't take guitar too seriously.

Yeah what he said. Don't force yourself to play and don't feel obliged to be as good as other people think you should. It's your hobby (or whatever) and you can do it as you wish.

Only play if you want to. I don't mean all together I mean each time you sit down for a session. Forcing yourself to play when you don't want to will just put you off.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
you just need to get pumped up about it again, listen to some records and pick something that is easy and cool sounding, i played for about a year, then quit for a few until I learned Wish you were here, that got me really pumped about guitar again!!!
ok... thats kind of stupid... like for me its just a hobby, im not that good, but I dont get pissed off cause i suck...
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Quote by The McManus
ok... thats kind of stupid... like for me its just a hobby, im not that good, but I dont get pissed off cause i suck...

Yeah but i do get pissed off because I suck. I dont want to be an amazing guitarist or anything like that I just wanna be able to sit down and play and have fun. I know that takes time.
Quote by absinthe5765
why would you QUIT playing an insurment. if you dont like it, dont do it as much, but keep around just in case u get bored and wanna play again.

+1
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by Disasterpiece08
I got my first guitar last Christmas and started playing it like a month after so about year.

Your just having some doubts I was having doubts about playing guitar for like my entire first year of playing, I wanted to switch completely to bass, but then I got a new teacher, who only teaches acoustic rhythm guitar after I started learning new rhythm stuff for a few months i bought an electric guitar and started learning scales and lead lines. You're probably trying to learn hard stuff to quickly. i'd suggest getting a new teacher and tell him to teach you some really basic rhythms for a while then get into some other harder stuff(scales, arpeggios). You just gotta have the drive and patience to learn the instrument, once you have the basics down-pat then harder stuff becomes easier. Also, don't learn how to read music for guitar unless you plan to play classical guitar, just learn how to read tabs if you wanna play rock or blues or metal for that matter. Above all have fun with it, don't just do what your teacher gives you, improvise. improvisation skills are key if you want to be good.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Last edited by toxicity33 at Mar 14, 2007,
Try to play an easier style, maybe some acoustic stuff.
You may be trying to play things that are too hard.
I was like that a few years ago, I was getting nowhere with my playing and I was kind of forcing myself to play when i didn't want to. So i quit lessons and stuff and stopped playing for about a year. Then I decided to pick it up again one day, and BAM! I wanted to play again. Now I never force myself to play or have a set practising time or anything. Just play when it feels right, that way your playing comes more naturally and flows more easily.
you act like its an addiction
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up