at what genre?

they both have pros and cons
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Depends what kind.

Classic metal wise, 900. Its a much brighter amp than the 6505, and posseses that great marshall middy 'crunch' tone

The 6505 is more low-mid focused, very dark, tons of gain etc. Great if you want death metal tones etc. The cleans arnt great though, the marshalls cleans will be better.

But the marshall wont have the same level of gain, you might need to boost it with an OD
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
All depends on what type of metal. A JCM900 is gonna need a boost to do anything really heavy, whilst a 6505 has more than enough gain to handle any situation. They are just voiced for different genres - the JCM being bright and middy - the Peavey being dark and crushing.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

The 900 has better cleans, if that interests you. For straight metal the 5150 is more popular.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I had the same question. But I settled on the 6505. The JCM does have an amazing tone, but the 6505 just straight rips on heavier metal. Machine Head used 6505, but they also play in drop b on any of the new stuff. Megadeth and old Metalica style I'd say JCM 900. For any new high gain stuff the 6505. But so help me god if you scoop the mids you might as well not waste your cash...bc any amp scooped will sound like balls against a microphone.
6505 for brutal metal such as...idk...arch enemy & in flames
JCM900 (actually an 800 would be better) for Metallica, Judas Priest e.t.c

Quote by Sora 01
listen to my youtube cover of metallica for most youll get out of a jcm900 for heavy stuff. any higher and youll need an OD keep in mind its high output emgs to...

I clicked your sig, nice video, i checked your other ones....do you play ambidextrous??
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yea. The 900 can be good. But The 6505 owns man. No JCM 900 is in the same ballpark as a 6505 in the over the top gain catagory.
Quote by Sora 01
listen to my youtube cover of metallica for most youll get out of a jcm900 for heavy stuff. any higher and youll need an OD keep in mind its high output emgs to...

If that clip was without an attenuator then you will definately get more out a 900 when cranked. That amp was so low I could hear your pick hitting the strings over the amp.
i'd go with the 6505 in your position.

you really don't sound like you'd know to properly eq the marshall for metal, or be able to play at the required volume (and be smart enough to wear ear protection).

the 6505 doesn't matter as much on the eq, at least from what i've tried.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
in my opinion, the 900 only sounds good if you're standing right in front of it. stand any farther than 10 feet back, and all you hear is this high-end sizzle that envelopes every note. i don't have much experience with the 6505, but the 5150 is great so i imagine the 6505 is even better.
^ 6505 = 5150

same exact thing, just new name and decorations.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yeah.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

they renamed it because the "5150" was eddie van halens signature amp. when he left contract with peavey, he took the 5150 name with him (he had it copy written).

so, peavey, not wanting to discontinue the amp changed it to 6505, for their aniversary. 1965-2005.
65-05

you can get a 6505 on ebay for just as much.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

they had to rename it since EVH took the 5150 name with him when he left.

edit: lol, beaten
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Owned.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Ubershall404
Yea. The 900 can be good. But The 6505 owns man. No JCM 900 is in the same ballpark as a 6505 in the over the top gain catagory.

No 6505 is in any other ballpark set with the JCM900.

In my honest opinion, all the 6505 is good at is gain, only when turned up too much, even that sounds muddy.

Go for the JCM900 and buy a Metal Muff or Overdrive like a TS9.
High as tits
Quote by treagar
If that clip was without an attenuator then you will definately get more out a 900 when cranked. That amp was so low I could hear your pick hitting the strings over the amp.

Yeah i know but my mum and dad were in and they dont like it being to loud...it breaks up about 3 or 4 though on the 25w setting. does sound alot better and the more you crank it the more of an overdrive increase is noticed
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
No 6505 is in any other ballpark set with the JCM900.

In my honest opinion, all the 6505 is good at is gain, only when turned up too much, even that sounds muddy.

Go for the JCM900 and buy a Metal Muff or Overdrive like a TS9.

Any amp can sound muddy. The 6505 isnt a benchmark metal amp because it sounds muddy. When EQ'd right....like any other amp, it can and will sound amazing. They are both great amps....I would go for the 800 over a 900 though. It really all depends on the style of metal.
What I think a lot of people miss is that

A) The cleans on the Peavey are extremely under rated. Theyre fine. Granted, there not quite in the same league as a Fender, but they still can be pretty good.

B)The 'crunch' mode is a pretty decent mid-gain sourse.

C)The amp is much more versitile than most people give it credit for. Listen to some Devin Townsend music, and then some of the more 'heavy' bands mentioned earlier. Pretty different stuff.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet