Poll: How fast is your picking hand (in Notes per Second)
Poll Options
View poll results: How fast is your picking hand (in Notes per Second)
2-3
3 4%
4-5
1 1%
6-7
3 4%
8-9
15 18%
10-11
11 13%
12-13
13 16%
14-15
7 9%
16-17
7 9%
18-19
4 5%
20+
17 21%
Voters: 82.
Page 1 of 2
Hey all,
I'm curious how fast people's picking hand can pick. I'm not talking about actually playing a riff, just picking the same note constantly, for at least a duration of a couple hundred notes. To figure out how many notes per second your playing, do the following:

- Play 16th notes to a metronome and keep cranking up the metronome until you can't play them steadily (at least a couple hundred notes in a row or so). For this example, lets say you get up to 120 BPM
- Multiply by 4, and that's your Notes per Minute. In our example, that's 480 notes/minute.
- Divide by 60, and that's your Notes per Second. In our example, that's 8 notes per second
- Vote on your number!

I can't stress enough here that I would like people to be honest, and if possible, actually do it to a metronome for more accurate results. If you need a metronome (and have an okay internet connection), try this one:
http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Edit: Notes: If you finger pick, please note this, as that might mean you can go faster then a pick (if you are damn fast)
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Last edited by Revalk at Mar 14, 2007,
(off topic, i know)

srry, i thought you were talking about something else when you said, 'how fast is your right hand'

i'll leave now
Quote by lateraluspiral
play twinkle twinkle little star. thatll blow some socks off.

Quote by Cynoxx
I wish I was this badass !
Not particularly fast, I'm a lefty.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by Revalk

- Multiply by 4, and that's your Notes per Minute. In our example, that's 480

Only if you're playing in 4/4

Actually no, there just needs to be one 4. 4 beats per measure... *thinks*

Oh whutevz.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last edited by JamieB at Mar 14, 2007,
About 10 NPS, though I rarely play that fast when I'm actually playing a song. I don't put too much emphasis on speed.
Quote by 10kf.iskickass
(off topic, i know)

srry, i thought you were talking about something else when you said, 'how fast is your right hand'

i'll leave now
Yeah, should have thought of that, as it is the Pit.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

I am the fastest, i am a fingerpicker and my finger can pick faster than your pick anyday!
Mine seems to be 9.53333333333333333333333nps.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I generally don't play a shitload of fast songs, but because of how I developed early on (and probably plus the fact I've been playing 5ish years) my right hand is crazy strong. I'm in around 16.5.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

I play at comfortable speeds 10 nps.

If I am forcing it I can hit 14 nps but thats forced and not very clean.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I got up to 208 BPM for atleast 100-200 notes
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by GiantRaven
16ths at 160bpm on the G String of a Bass

You know, I find it easier to play faster on a bass, is that normal?

Also, has anyone considered strumming the chord 07x9x0 over and over? 4 notes per strum, and technically, it's all the same note ¬_¬.

I expect my speed's fairly slow, maybe, who knows. I'll check in a minute (going to eat now though).

I have SOME speed, not overly fast. I was never taught about quarter notes, 16ths and all that stuff. I picked up the guitar everyday and my grandpa taught me. he never knew anything about those notes either. I just play.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by JamieB

Also, has anyone considered strumming the chord 07x9x0 over and over? 4 notes per strum, and technically, it's all the same note ¬_¬.

I expect my speed's fairly slow, maybe, who knows. I'll check in a minute (going to eat now though).

They key thing to note here is that you must play only ONE string. If you play more, it requires less control, and it's possible you can hit higher speeds.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

About 13. I couldn't find a heavy pick to do this with though, I'm pretty sure I could have gone a little faster (I stopped on 192, I'm pretty sure I could do 16ths at 200 or 208).
Quote by JamieB

I have no idea

I would have assumed i'm fairly slow though
about 14-15nps but that is if im only playing on 1string... if i go on many strings, it goes down to about 5-6nps lollll (not sloppy... I could go higher but sloppiness sucks)
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
I'd say about the speed of light .. :p
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
Quote by Revalk
They key thing to note here is that you must play only ONE string. If you play more, it requires less control, and it's possible you can hit higher speeds.

I know, I was kidding

I got about 10.16 nps. I'm extremely uncomfortable alternate picking though. Actually, I almost never use alternate picking. I just use downstrokes. I know it's not right, but...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by insideac
I can tremolo pick 16th notes at 258 BPM.

Your being sarcastic, right?
Heh, me = self pwned. I checked that using the formula and it only comes out to 17.2.
im pretty fast but im not sure how fast. i know my friend can play atleast 20nps but hes a little better than me. damn his sweep tapping. anyways, i could easily play any slayer song, thats no problem. i can play a few necrophagist songs too (the solos) but theyre damn hard. im not that good of a player really
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by CowboyUp
Heh, me = self pwned. I checked that using the formula and it only comes out to 17.2.

Yeah, its not like, unrealistic lol
Quote by Revalk
I generally don't play a shitload of fast songs, but because of how I developed early on (and probably plus the fact I've been playing 5ish years) my right hand is crazy strong. I'm in around 16.5.

Pretty much the same.

I can get up to 17 bpm depending on how "warmed up" I am.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by andrew12398
Pretty much the same.

I can get up to 17 bpm depending on how "warmed up" I am.

That's some pretty fast shit right there.

10.66666666666666666 fingerpicking a bass E string. Same as Giantraven, apparently.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Page 1 of 2