Ok, i know newer members should spend some time reading and responding before they start making threads, but im desperate for some help cause i cant find this info anywhere. i promise, after this, i will attempt to intergrate into the community instead of forcing my way in. i live in a small connecticut town, and there are only two musicians in about a 50 mile radius; myself and my buddy, who plays guitar. we are both huge tool fans, me a little more so. ive been playin bass for about 3 years, and i worship chancellor. but recently, me and my buddy got into a heated debate over some tool basslines. ok, i know this sounds stupid, but this is one of those things where i would simply feel so much better if i proved him wrong.

for those of you who know tool in and out, especially the bass parts...do you guys know those basslines that have loads of affects on them? The Patient, for example, has that bassline in the very beginning that sounds more like a keyboard than anything. he swears its a keyboard and not a bass, but im pretty damn sure its bass. Right in Two is another one we debated heatidly over. this one im not so sure about, but in the intro to the song, it sounds as if chancellor is playing way up on the neck with slight distortion and a wah. guys, heres my request...can i please get some back up? if he sees a bunch of online fans agreeing with me, he'll be convinced. if im wrong, il graciously accept it, but im so confident on this.

i know threads are meant to contribute to the forum, and this is more for my personal gain than the benefit for everyone else here. so il add a little to my request that might prompt interesting discussion for everyone. name parts of songs throughout chancellor's career with tool that are like this(or any bass players career, why not)...anything that a lay-person would not realize is bass, but us holy bass players know is...and describe what kind of affects he uses to achieve that sound.

or, if im wrong, and these arent bass parts...il will take my brutal punishment for wasting your time like a man...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you creating this thread. It serves a purpose, you're not a "noob", and you're respectful. So, you'll get respect back.

The Patient starts out with palm-muted guitar arpeggios, then (what I assume you are talking about) Justin comes in with his bass, using a wah pedal to get that vowel-like expression. So you are correct.

Right in Two's intro is played on guitar, not bass. The bass provides those harmonics you hear every few beats, with a whammy effect making that "warbling" sound.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
use the search button to find justin's pedal board on the forums, that should give you a hit as to how much effects madness he plays with

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by canadianpunk071
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you creating this thread. It serves a purpose, you're not a "noob", and you're respectful. So, you'll get respect back.

The Patient starts out with palm-muted guitar arpeggios, then (what I assume you are talking about) Justin comes in with his bass, using a wah pedal to get that vowel-like expression. So you are correct.

Right in Two's intro is played on guitar, not bass. The bass provides those harmonics you hear every few beats, with a whammy effect making that "warbling" sound.

In the patient I'd say that he has an autowah on, then with his left hand he hammers the notes and with his right hand he raises and lowers the volume on the bass to get that fade in/fade out sound. Well, that's my theory anyways.
Quote by canadianpunk071

thanks dude, i knew The Patient was a bass...

and for Right in Two...i think we may be talking about the same part. i know the first 10-12 seconds is all guitar, but at about 00:12(or maybe 00:11) a harmonic rings out. i thought that harmonic was bass. theres another one at like 00:17, and its followed by something that sounds like a bend to me at about 00:20(i also thought this was probably bass.) between the harmonic and the bend, it creates a little bass riff that plays ontop of the guitar for most of the first part of the song, ending at about 1:40. then justin starts playing some chords that have the same kind of tonality as the first part. my buddy claims the bass doesnt come in until like 2:50...but i figured the whole first 3 minutes of the song was littered with these cool, wierd bass parts.
All of those harmonics and harmonic bends are bass. Those chords also sound like a distorted bass to me.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
If you want some effects help, I think Justin has his wah set to go up a 5th... I think the details are on his wikipedia page, so check there, cos I'm not too sure on that one, but it definately is bass... just as is the intro to Schism, The Pot and pretty much all of Disposition... which is one of the best basslines EVER
Thanks dudes, i knew it...time to rub it ina certain guitar players face

vash...ya, if those harmonics are bass than the chords are bass too. the tonality is too similar to be a different instrument.

delirium...disposition is great dude, im pretty sure he's using delay in that one.