Hey UG ive been playing bass for 2 years and im in to all forms of rock. Ive been looking at two half stacks to upgrade from my behringer combo

this GK head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600-Bass-Head?sku=482534

and this GK cab

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-210BLXII-Bass-Cabinet?sku=601056

or

this Ashdown head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-300H-300W-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=485030

and this Ashdown cab

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-210T-2X10-Deep-Bass-Cabinet-with-Tweeter?sku=605031

which one should i go with and if there are ones that you think are better please post them
I actually just ordered that same GK head and GK cab + a 1x15 + 4x10 so if you want to wait a couple of days I can play the head on that cab alone and give you some feedback.

Also, that cab can only handle 200 watts and the head pushes out 300, I'd be careful.
That GK cab wouldnt be able to handle that GK head since the head is 300 watts at 4 ohms and the cab can only handle 200.

Either get a bigger cab, or the GK backline 300.

Edit* you beat me to it.

I actually just ordered the GK 600 and 410, I'll have them monday, and I could give you a review on tuesday if you can wait.
Duck my Sick
Last edited by GoddamnElectric at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by GoddamnElectric
That GK cab wouldnt be able to handle that GK head since the head is 300 watts at 4 ohms and the cab can only handle 200.

Either get a bigger cab, or the GK backline 300.

It is ok and even desirable to have a head with more output than the cab is rated for. All it means is that you must be judicious in how much power you allow to go to the cab. , i.e. only turning the master volume to 6 or so.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Nope, that's perfectly fine as well.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
^full stacks are outta my price range but if you find one thats under $600 total and is actually decent ill think about it
That amp isn't too bad. It may be a bit weak, but it will probably sound nice.

What I would rally suggest you do is get a slightly more powerfull head and a 210 for right now so you have a good powerfull amp, and when you get a little more money, get another 210 so you can actually have a half stack instead of a quarter stack.

Also, ashdown ftw.
^ Or he could get a 1x15 later.

If you get a cab that's overrated for the head, it's OK, but you still have to be careful. If you drive the head so hard that it distorts it will destroy the speakers alot faster than using a head with higher wattage than the cab at high volumes.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I say get the ashdown, i have tried loads of their stuff out and use an electric blue combo live and it has never disappointed me
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Id say get the Ashdown head and the GK cab
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
I got the GK head today and the tone is amazing! I play through a Peavey 1x15 for now and it's nothing special but the head has amazing tone... Powerful enough easy... My two cabs are coming next week I think.
i was forced with the same decision.

choose gk

the head sounds really good, has a decent overdrive channel, and the EQ really changes the sound, so there are a lot of tone variations.

get a 4x10 cab with the GK
the 1x15 can handle all of the backline 600 by itself, it puts out like 180w at 8 ohms (dont expect the full 300w with a half stack)
the 4x10 is a little bit bigger, but as big as the 1x15 is its not going to make a difference, and it can put out PLENTY of low end (i havent played a 5 string on it)

either way, you will get the same power witha 4x10 and a 1x15, but i would reccomend the 4x10 if you can spare the $80
Like I said before, you should have the cab have more watts handling than the head can push out.

You can get the 1x15 and 4x10 for around $500, or the 1x15 and the 2x10 for around $450 if you want to save up a little longer... Trust me if your not careful you are going to end up blowing out a speaker.

Or you can solve this problem by getting a head with less wattage.
well i just got a g-k 1/2 stack ( a little larger mind you) and i can say it is the bomb. i say definitely go with the g-k
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land