Alright people. I'm debating between a Line 6 Spider III 75 and the VOX AD50VT. I was talking to some people yesterday and they seemed to liek the VOX better. So, just give me your opinion on the two.

80th best UGer
im leaning more towards the VOX cuz i found a great deal its 40 dollars cheaper than what it would normally be so I think I'm gunna go ahead and order the VOX tonight if it doesnt sell.

80th best UGer
vox.
spiders suck
ull be glad you got a vox
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
a used hot rod deluxe. about the same price...but so much better. Although if refuse to go tube, definitely the vox. Line 6 generally sucks (although in rare occasions they do well).
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
hey ledzep you've got the same amp i want... are the effects like the autowah and phaser any good?

80th best UGer
I had the AD50, and the effects are decent, but if your serious about guitar, youll definitely end up wanting tube. Save yourself the time and go with the hot rod.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
a used hot rod deluxe.

+100.
In the long run you wil not regret it!!

And yes it is a fender!!
oh crap... the cheapest one is $600.... and im only 13 and my budget is around $350. So I'll probably go with the VOX. that hot rod would be nice but its just to expensive.

80th best UGer
acctually im glad i got the vox becuase its so versatile
i can get any tone i want
and i was able to expirament w/ tones until i found the 1 i liked before spending the money on a tube amp
so if you know the tone you want then go for the tube amp that suits that, but if you still arent 100% sure then sacrifice a little tone and save some money and get the vox.
p.s. i get compliments on my tone all the time
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
wtf is it with the forum and tube amps "I want to get a small practice amp" "no, dont bother save up and get a tube amp" =/
i would save up and get a tube amp, but my parents said they dont even want me spending over 300 on an amp and ill be lucky if i can convince them to let me buy the vox. plus it would take me like a whole year to get another 300 bucks.... and i dont wanna wait.

80th best UGer
Quote by CraigKing
wtf is it with the forum and tube amps "I want to get a small practice amp" "no, dont bother save up and get a tube amp" =/

Ha, more like, "Get a *insert 15 watt or less tube amp here." And tube amps are better, by the way. But if it's between the Vox and the Line 6, get the Vox. It's a great amp (I have the AD30VT).

EDIT: ^ Why won't they let you spend more than that? It's your money, am I right?
Quote by CraigKing

Because in the long run they are so much better.. If you had one you would know.. You may not be in a band but when you do and you have better tone than your mate you will be thanking the guys who recommeded it to you!
definately the vox
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
im still readin bout the vox and some dude who reviewed it said it had a tube.... do any of yall know if it does. and yeah, it is my money, but they don't think i should be spendin 700 dollars on an amp yet... plus itll take me a long time to get that. and whenever im really serious about getting a tube amp like the hot rod i could sell this vox and probably only lose about 100 dollars..... woah i sound smart there... that dont happen much.

80th best UGer
http://www.daddys.com/t_content/thegear/thegear.php?itemnumber=FEN6813A

if you go there personally, they usually sell it for 420. ANd yes the vox has ONE preamp tube, it is, however, merely a gimmick (regardless of whether the vox actually does sound good). It contributes little to the tone and an ALL tube amp will be so much better.
oh ok.... i still dont wanna spend over 360 which is the price of the vox. i only have about 320 now so itll still be a few weeks til i can buy it, and i might find one i like better in that ime.... who knows.

80th best UGer
Quote by HeartInACage
http://www.daddys.com/t_content/thegear/thegear.php?itemnumber=FEN6813A

if you go there personally, they usually sell it for 420. ANd yes the vox has ONE preamp tube, it is, however, merely a gimmick (regardless of whether the vox actually does sound good). It contributes little to the tone and an ALL tube amp will be so much better.

Well, you can't really say it's a gimmick, cos you can't compare it to a completely SS amp with the same circuitry. OK, it probably is a gimmick, but whatever. It sounds good for cheapsies.
I'd get the Vox, it'll hold up loads loads better at gig volumes.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
okay the vox does have a preamp tube and it is not a "gimmik". the tube adds so much color to the tone and when you crank the amp it really heats up. just get the 30 watt version. its PLENTY loud enough, i have it and i dont regret buying it. i am borrowing a Cube 30 from a friend and i played on it for a few days and i found myself going right back to the vox. it really does sound like a tube amp and work like one. it also has a power attenuator so you can get cranked sounds at LOW volumes.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Get the vox but you'll need to spend 15 bucks on a new tube. The Electro Haronix tube in there sucks donkey balls.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by voxdude26
okay the vox does have a preamp tube and it is not a "gimmik". the tube adds so much color to the tone and when you crank the amp it really heats up. just get the 30 watt version. its PLENTY loud enough, i have it and i dont regret buying it. i am borrowing a Cube 30 from a friend and i played on it for a few days and i found myself going right back to the vox. it really does sound like a tube amp and work like one. it also has a power attenuator so you can get cranked sounds at LOW volumes.

No, the tube itself does very little to the actual sound. Its the quality of the amp that allows it to sound great, as I had one myself. But, it is no tube amp, and although the one tube may color the tone in the smallest degree, it is absolutely no subsitute for an all tube amp. And considering you dont own a tube amp, nor does it seem you use one regularly, Im not sure your comparison of how 'it really does sound like a tube amp' is supported at all with experience, although I could be wrong.
Quote by HeartInACage
No, the tube itself does very little to the actual sound. Its the quality of the amp that allows it to sound great, as I had one myself. But, it is no tube amp, and although the one tube may color the tone in the smallest degree, it is absolutely no subsitute for an all tube amp. And considering you dont own a tube amp, nor does it seem you use one regularly, Im not sure your comparison of how 'it really does sound like a tube amp' is supported at all with experience, although I could be wrong.

yes you are wrong. i know about tube as i owned a Fender Blues Junior before the Vox. Although, I was forced to sell the Blues Junior to help pay for my truck so i got the AD30VT as a sustitute until i get a Hot Rod. no they are not full tube amps and cannot sound just like one but they are closest thing to tube that you can get without blowing your wad. and cheap tube amps arent even worth a second look (...valvekings...). the vox really are good amps and do have tube characteristics.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
True, they are good amps, which i never debated. What I DID question, however, was the actual use of the preamp tube, which has a very small effect on the tone. Example of this can be seen in both popular hybrid amps/series: the AVT and Valvetronix. The AVT is built poorly and overpriced, and thus it sounds bad and is ill recieved, regardless of the single tube. The Valvetronix is built well and thus sounds much better, not to mention its priced much cheaper. It is NOT the solution/subsitute for a tube amp. It is merely the next generation of solid state, which is STILL solid state. The tube is placed in there for perhaps minor tonal changes, but mostly because young naive players will associate tube with tube amp and assume its the same thing. Its not, and it wont sound nearly the same. Turn the vox up to its highest and the low end completely dominates the sound, much like a solid state. Turn it down, and yes, it sounds nice, but still not nearly at the same level at which a tube amp operates.
With the valvetronix series you have to moke some of your own modifications to make the "low end" mess go away. i replaced my speaker with a Celestion G-10 and when i crank it it just sounds beautiful. the bottom end doesnt dominate nor dissapear. the sound gets clearer and just more full. i also replaced my preamp tube with a Groove something (i got it from a friend) also ive noticed that the voicings on the AD series amps are different. they seem to get worse as they get bigger. the ad15vt has the best voicings.
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Well on the differences between the amps, I am ignorant as I only played my AD50, which i believe has a celestion speaker. I did not, however, change the tube, which may alter the tone positively. If it works for you and your happy, then thats great, but for me, Im just glad I upgraded to tube, and if the threadstarter were to spend around 350, it may be wiser to save the extra 50-70$ if hes going to go tube in the long run. Make no mistake though, the AD series sounds great; tubes amps obviously just sound better, and if you can get one comparebly priced, it may be worth it in the end.
Vox for sure man wouldnt even question it!

I've used the PODS tried the spiders the vettas all overrated and subpar compared to pretty much anything else out there. Another great option would be a roland cube! Amazing amps the BEST SS amps IMO.