ehx lpb-1 straight to amp or effects loop? what would be best to overdrive my jcm 900?

ive tried straight to amp but it doesnt really add any volume or anything just mucks it up. and when its in my effects loop it can make it hella louder.
Well if you go through the loop, it'll give you a clean volume boost, no added distortion. If you go in front, it'll help you overdrive your preamp. I'd say run it in front, but it's your decision ultimately.
how come it doesnt add that much volume when i drive it into the amp directly?
Because it's an OD, not a volume pedal... It's not making the amp any louder, it's just driving the tubes and overdriving the sound.
Schecter S-1 Elite
Bareknuckle Miracle Man/Cold Sweat
ENGL Screamer
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-3
EHX Small Stone
EHX Small Clone
Quote by jimmy_fowler
Because it's an OD, not a volume pedal... It's not making the amp any louder, it's just driving the tubes and overdriving the sound.

No it IS a volume boost, not an OD. I ran into this problem when I used my LPB before my DS-1. The DS-1 set the volume that the distortion was at, so if I had the LPB before it there wouldn't be a volume jump. However if the LPB is after the DS-1 it gave me a boost for solos because it altered the volume after the DS-1 did. I expect you're running into a similar problem.
My Gear

72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender GA-43SCE Acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
Ibanez TS9
EHX Nano LPB-1

Member #21 of the Fender Armada
Are you using it with high levels of preamp gain? If you're cranking the gain there'll be a lot of resultant compression so you won't notice much of a volume boost. Try switching the lpb-1 on and off when you have a clean tone- there should be much more difference in volume and breakup
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
The4Train, I stand corrected! I thought it was an OD pedal... Good thing I haven't ordered one yet huh...!
Schecter S-1 Elite
Bareknuckle Miracle Man/Cold Sweat
ENGL Screamer
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-3
EHX Small Stone
EHX Small Clone