Hi, i have been sight reading for a while. I can do it pretty well, but I think it is doing me damage. Because now I just sight read all of my songs. I become too lazy now to memorize them, and when I try to...it seems my short term memory is crap when trying to. Should I stop for now and go back to memorizing?
Be cool.
Quote by ResidentRocker
do both man they're both good for you.

Thats what I am trying to do so far, but it seems memorizing has become very hard.
Be cool.
Quote by JC13
Sight reading isn't causing you trouble, laziness is.

Hit the nail on the head.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
How do you sight read???Always wanted to do that....
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
That's the same way I was when I played bass clarinet in the school band. I could sight read just fine but I could never memorize anything without putting a lot of effort into it. When I started playing guitar I remembered everything that I played because I wasn't sight reading and I was playing songs that I'd written or listened to a lot.

I'd do both, sight reading is a really useful skill and it sets you apart from a lot of guitarists, especially if you ever want to do session work- then it is a necessity. I wish that I would have kept my sight reading skills up, I can't do it for shit anymore.
EDIT: Wait, are you talking about tabs?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 14, 2007,