Ok so I've started to write my own songs. What happens is I decide I want to write in a particular genre and I start writing a song in that genre and than I decide I wanna write in a different genre and I scrap that song and start over and than I go from genre to genre and I just can't stick with something. Did anyone else have this problem? Did you just force yourself to stick with a genre and than got used to it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: And when I to just write and not worry about genre or style, I end up falling into a certain genre.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
Last edited by Punk Rocker at Mar 14, 2007,
I write blues, sometimes it gets quite a rock touch to it. But i mean, you can bounce around with genres, its ok. Just tweak it to make it "your sound."
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Don't worry about genres. Just write your music the way you write it, you can go every where from emo to metal, jazz to hard rock, it doesn't matter. Also, a lot of the sound is the tone you use. Play almost anything with real heavy distortion and it sounds metal.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I write what I hear in my head. Why would you think you have to write in specific genres?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
When I write...I just write. I don't really think in terms of gernres. I think more like, "Okay, hmmm this sounds good. I'll stick with it. Nah, that sounds awkward *scrap that*" instead of "Uh oh. This is a bit too jazz. *Scrap that*"

However, sometimes, I do feel that non-commitment to a song, but not because of the genre, just because I don't like how it sounds or I lose inspiration for it. Then I move on and I'll come back to it eventually.
Write what you want to write. Don't worry about genres. Remember, this isn't the only song that you'll ever write. You'll have tons of time to write and they'll just gradually fit into a genre.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
When I write...I just write. I don't really think in terms of gernres. I think more like, "Okay, hmmm this sounds good. I'll stick with it. Nah, that sounds awkward *scrap that*" instead of "Uh oh. This is a bit too jazz. *Scrap that*"

However, sometimes, I do feel that non-commitment to a song, but not because of the genre, just because I don't like how it sounds or I lose inspiration for it. Then I move on and I'll come back to it eventually.

you took the words right out of my mouth.
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?