so this year i started wood shop in my school since this year is almost over im thinking of building my own guitar. the shop has all the machines i nedd,i only have to buy the wood. Should i do it? wat r some suggestion to doing it?
my suggestion is to your homework.

a guy at my school tried to make his own neck.. completly messed up slotting the frets. now he has a new baseball bat.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
My suggestion is to go for it. By now, you have been taught the value of drawing a plan, making templates, etc. My only advice is this:

1) Use a 1/4" thick template to do the body. It is a whole lot easier to sand 1/4" smoothly contoured accurately than it is a badly band-sawn body. Use a pattern-following router bit to form the body contour. Once you make your first pass around, you can simply use that first routed shelf for a pattern, extending your bit further to make the next deeper cut, and so on.

2) Make any test routs of pickup and trem cavities on scrap to check the accuracy of your template and placement. Same with the neck pocket.

3) Try shaping a scrap piece of hardwood to see how to shape the neck with a spokeshave. It really isn't that difficult, but you must know your spokeshave and have it adjusted properly first. Use a contour gauge to check your work relative to your cross-section drawings.

4) Have fun
^ This guy has it right. Necks can be tricky things to get right. Personnally, I know I'm not ready to build my own neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by RPGoof
Buy your own neck and make the rest yourself =)

yeah, fretting a neck sucks... i now have a broken strat becuase i took the frets of the neck, and tried to put them back on.
Quote by Wilki
yeah, fretting a neck sucks... i now have a broken strat becuase i took the frets of the neck, and tried to put them back on.

You can always plane the fretboard off and glue a new one on. If you're careful with the plane and sanding block, it will turn out perfectly.
Quote by Vulcan
You can always plane the fretboard off and glue a new one on. If you're careful with the plane and sanding block, it will turn out perfectly.

good idea. it'd be a bit harder too becuase the neck doesnt have a fret board as such, its just one bit of wood, all light coloured. but i like that idea, i might do that.
Quote by loco1rocker
can u build a body ot of oak?

You could but the grain will be hard to fill and it will be heavy. Not sure as far as sound quality.
bah, just use a hammer and chisel
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals