ok so i was looking around the web comparing distortion pedals. I noticed that the tube ones range from 100-300 dollars while regular ones are 50 or 60 bucks. Is their any big diffrence between the two?
well the tube ones are obviously better but i wouldnt spend to much money on distortion pedals if i were you because whenever you decide to get a tube amp they will be pretty much useless.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

i have a line 6 spider 2 half stack ( yeah i know it is a crappy amp but i got it for $400), do u think its worth it to get a tube distortion pedal?
Actually, not necessarily true. Tube pedals are oftentimes a gimmick. Tubes are really the best when they're in amps. And they probably cost more for two reasons: 1. Tubes cost more than transistors. 2. There's a good chance that they're built to a higher quality standard, just because that's the kind of manufacturer that makes those kind of pedals.

EDIT: To ibanlezbians, not A Musician.
Quote by A Musician
i have a line 6 spider 2 half stack ( yeah i know it is a crappy amp but i got it for $400), do u think its worth it to get a tube distortion pedal?

No. To be honest, most pedals sound pretty arse when used with modelling amps, so make sure you try it in the store with the amp you use before buying.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
There's pedals with tubes in them?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by greendayguitar
There's pedals with tubes in them?

Yeah, off the top of my head the Electro Harmonix English Muff'in springs to mind.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Yeah, off the top of my head the Electro Harmonix English Muff'in springs to mind.

Well then. Learn something new everyday.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Is the Boss DS-1 a SS pedal or a tube?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
Is the Boss DS-1 a SS pedal or a tube?

SS,

some EH pedals have tubes (english muffn', hot tubes, wiggler and tube zipper, i don't remember any other)

i suposse they have a better tone cranked just like a tube amp,
yes the DS-1 is ss (and its cheAp). ANd regarding Tube pedals sounding better, I can only assume it varies. I played a vox distortion and it sounded like balls, yet the English Muffn can sound great, although when I tried it, it could only achieve small amounts of overdrive ( less than a tubescreamer)
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
i think it boils down more to overall pedal design than weither t it has tubes or not (the same thing can be said of amps.)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The Damage Control pedals have them as well.
And some of the Zoom MFX.

I think it is pretty much a gimmick, since they act like pre-amp valves, and most of the tube sound of tube amps comes from the power amp valves.

However, it may be better than nothing.

But for the price - you could buy a low end tube amp I guess.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
actually, quite a bit of the tube amp distortion comes from the pre-amp, especially in high gain amps, i dont know where all of these weird misconceptions on this site come from.

Last.fm
Tube pedals are a gimmick in my eyes, they've only appeared relatively recently as more people with SS amps felt they wanted "tube" tone but didn't want to change amps. A lot of the classic rock sounds you hear are either a guitar run straight into a cranked amp, or a guitar run into a cranked amp through a solid state distortion....not a "tube pedal" in sight.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^ When people say tube distortion comes from the power amp they mean bluesy or classic rock style distortion. Modern sounds come from the preamp. But in reality, (unless you want an ultra tight sound) the best option is a good mix of poweramp and preamp overdrive. And yeah, most modern hi gain amps won't get much poweramp distortion when they're 100-150w.

Quote by cokeisbetter
Tube pedals are oftentimes a gimmick.

Nah, tubes in pedals are ALWAYS a gimmick.

Tube tone comes from a good blend of all tube preamp and poweramp distortion, not from one tube stuck in a pedal. The pedal might sound good, but it's not because it has a tube in it. And one 12AX7 doesn't make a tube preamp either...

Also, you have to think that it's a stomp box. Do you really wanna stomp on a preamp tube all the time? How long will that last? Do you want to carry around spare tubes for your pedal as well as your amp? And you can't power it with batteries.

If would stay away from on for those reasons, even if it sounds great, unless you don't plan on using it live.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
^^ When people say tube distortion comes from the power amp they mean bluesy or classic rock style distortion. Modern sounds come from the preamp. But in reality, (unless you want an ultra tight sound) the best option is a good mix of poweramp and preamp overdrive. And yeah, most modern hi gain amps won't get much poweramp distortion when they're 100-150w.

yeah i know, but ive heard people on here say that power tube distortion is is the way to get tube tone, weither its in high gain metal amps, or marshall plexis, its one of those things thats holds true in some cases, but many people on here think is true in all cases (like people saying hta you should always get a combo over a half stack)

Last.fm
When people say ALWAYS in that convicted, I-know-I'm-right tone, it makes me a bit pissed. There are some situations where you want preamp distortion, some where you need poweramp, and some in between.
Quote by TGM

Nah, tubes in pedals are ALWAYS a gimmick.

Tube tone comes from a good blend of all tube preamp and poweramp distortion, not from one tube stuck in a pedal. The pedal might sound good, but it's not because it has a tube in it. And one 12AX7 doesn't make a tube preamp either...

Also, you have to think that it's a stomp box. Do you really wanna stomp on a preamp tube all the time? How long will that last? Do you want to carry around spare tubes for your pedal as well as your amp? And you can't power it with batteries.

If would stay away from on for those reasons, even if it sounds great, unless you don't plan on using it live.

Somebody has obviously done a lack of research. Let me get you up to speed on things. For one, a lot of these "Gimmicks" actually run at real tube voltage now and many don't make use of solid state circuitry at ALL. You see, for a player like me, who craves the best of both worlds, Fender clean and over the top distortion(That doesn't sound like shit) and does not feel like lugging around two different setups, these tube boxes are a very great solution. I can just use my TR, and then run my little stompable preamp to get my recto fix, it's really great. To the threadstarter, if you're purchasing one of these do your research. There are quite a few that don't utilize the tubes in the way that you're hoping and are a gimmick. But there are also quite a few that run like a true tube preamp. The latter tend to be from smaller manufacturers(no big name companies really) and they do cost quite a bit.