Iwas wondering if there is a certain way you position your thumb behind the neck. rite now i play with my thumb a little above halfway behind the neck. after playing for a little my thumb starts to hurt.
There are a million different ways to hold a guitar and u just have to do whatever is comfortable for u. I do different stuff when I play power chords...like sometimes I let the neck rest in my hand with my thumb sort of over the top of the guitar, that way if something wierd comes up and u need to u can use ur thumb to play notes on the top string. I even use my thumb to play the power chords sometimes. My thumb also tends to hurt when I play bar chords on a crappy acoustic bc the strings are hard to push down. Maybe its partially the guitar?
Crappy cheap acoustics are great, the one I had helped me strengthen my fingers ten fold... then I smashed the ****er.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
try searching before you post, there is another thread in this forum with the exact same question... and since I hate repeating myself search for that and whatever it is that I told that guy will go for you too... and btw, its gonna hurt.... its because your fingers arent strong... get a cheap acoustic and the thickest acoustic steel strings money can buy, then bar the shit out of it.... play that thing for about 4 months and your fingers will build enough strength to do an entire gig with nothing but bar chords... good luck