Well last month I got my Epiphone Sheraton Semi-Hollow new from my local music shop. It was fine at first, until recently. First off, I noticed a buzzing coming from either the D or G strings, so I raised the action to try to fix it. I had to raise the action like a mile off the fretboard to get it to stop buzzing. Then I go try and intonate it, and when it gets to the G string, the guitar just decides that it doesn't want to intonate. No matter how far I adjust the saddle, the note is always sharper than the harmonic, and when I even just get a little close, the saddle would have already reached the point where it can't be moved any further. Also, when I bend sometimes, a strange sort of "snapping" noise can be heard, either from the neck, tuning post, or saddle. Any help on how I should fix all these problems? Should I just take it to a pro? Is all this normal, or is my guitar just garbage?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
If you are getting fret buzz no matter how high your action is, then you probably need a truss rod adjustment.

Unwound G-Strings have intonation issues (unless you get something like an Earvana Compensated Nut).

I'm not sure what the snapping noise is. Maybe something with your nut?

It probably wouldn't hurt to just take it in.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Take it to a pro. Lets go through your list. Raising your bridge like that dosen't do anything unless truss and string relief in on tack. The G string probably won't intone because the Truss is out, Or your pick up it too low to pick up the harmonics. That snapping noise is because the NUT is catching the string. That effects tuning. Alot. Every problem can be fixed, BUT NOT BY YOU! That is a great guitar, You messing it up by messing with the settings ( You can easily break that top, Or twist the neck due to the body ) isn't a good thing to do. Pay the extra money to get a GOOD set up, And you'll have a GREAT guitar.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Yeah, suppose I'll just take it to a pro. How much do they usually charge for a general set-up?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

Take it to a smaller place instead of Guitar Center.

$15-30 I would think, depending on what they have to do.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^I'll be taking it to my local music shop for sure, there aren't any GC's within a 50 mile radius from where I live..

Quote by FacingUsAll
Take it to a smaller place instead of Guitar Center.

$15-30 I would think, depending on what they have to do.

If you are paying that much for a good set up, You need to tell me where! :P I pay generally around fifty dollars. For everything. This includes electronic calibration, intone, truss, action, nut checking and possibly replacement, and Trem set were able. Alot of people just use cheap tuners to put a guitar intone. If you can find a shop that uses a " Strob " tuner, Pay the price and go there.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
hey i just got u back at your other thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011