Page 1 of 4
I searched.

This thread is to discuss one of the great Blues bands. Peter Green, who played with John Mayall on "A Hard Road", was just amazing in Fleetwood Mac. "English Rose", in my opinion, their best album. Can't deny the greatness of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

By the way, contrary to popular belief, Peter Green wrote both "Black Magic Woman" and "The Green Manalishi".

EDIT: By popular (two people) demand, this thread will be to discuss Fleetwood Mac as a whole, any members. Although I am partial to Peter Green.
Last edited by JeffWiredBeck24 at Mar 14, 2007,
I think you should change this thread to accomodate the other side of the Mac man. Fleetwood Mac fans are everywhere and we can really learn about each other's findings and favourites through discussion. Other than that, Peter Green rocks and its really too bad that he wasn't around much after he left the band.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
In any case, there is already a thread about Fleetwood Mac. This should be discussed there, because it is still the band. Besides, what's wrong with Lindsey Buckingham? He's a great guitarist and vastly underrated.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
He is possibly the most underrated guitarist ever, his fingerpicking is awesome. I do like Nicks' Fleetwood Mac, but Green's version is better. Then Play On is a killer record.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Last edited by Cptbeefheart at Mar 14, 2007,
He also had an amazing voice.

I agree with Sloopy, this needs to be about the entire band if you're going to do it because every band member after Green was also great. This will probably end up closed being that there have already been so many attempts at a Mac thread (I've tried before), but you should atleast leave discussion for other Mac members because it's going to happen anyway.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I liked Fleetwood Mac a whole lot. until they got really poppy. you know what I'm saying. they're early to mid 70's stuff was great. Oh Well is probably my favorite song.
Their "poppy" stuff is really good... As great as Green was, it seems that a lot of people just dismiss the more Pop oriented style that they had later on after he left. Buckingham was great and to just dismiss the stuff that was written while he was a Mac member is just stupid. It's one thing if you don't like it and have actually listened, but a lot of people just go off of what others say...

^ Yeah theyre pop songs are great! Nothing wrong with having songs with great melodies and rythyms. Their pop music up until the 80's still had a bluesy tone too.
For me, Tusk and Rhiannon are my favourites from that era.

Page have you heard Buckingham's new record? Its a blast!

Quote by Kartman

I like the song Blue Letter It's a great song. Rockin' rhythm. The whole song is great.

I haven't heard his new solo album... I'm sure it's good though. He's such a great guitar player. I mean, the fingerpicking and such. Did he play bass before he played guitar? His picking style is VERY reminiscent of a bassist just by looking at it to me.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
Their "poppy" stuff is really good... As great as Green was, it seems that a lot of people just dismiss the more Pop oriented style that they had later on after he left. Buckingham was great and to just dismiss the stuff that was written while he was a Mac member is just stupid. It's one thing if you don't like it and have actually listened, but a lot of people just go off of what others say...

Post-Green Fleetwood Mac seems to have a very distinct style that people either love or hate. I, personally, hate it. I don't mind Buckingham as a guitarist, but overall I just don't like the music. The fact that the band was so amazing with Peter Green just makes the post-Green Mac seem even worse to me.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
They were amazing without him too, just different.

yeah, I've heard their poppy stuff. not a big fan. it's ok, just nothing to celebrate in my opinion.

and the fact that radio stations never play their 70's stuff also annoys me.
^ Radio stations always play their 70's stuff....

Quote by Kartman

Dude... All of the poppy stuff that I'm talking about is the 70s stuff with Buckingham. He's so great IMO. I've only heard a single Green song (that I'm aware of), and that wasn't even played by them. It was on the Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes Live At the Greek album, the song "Oh Well".

Yeah, the majority of classic rock stations seem to stick to the 70's stuff. If you mean they don't play the stuff with Green, keep in mind that he left the band in 1970.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Well of course they won't play the stuff with him. Too many CR stations suck You're not going to get such beautiful pieces of Rock on a standard CR station

^ Plus, everybody likes the pop era Mac because its really accesible. The Peter Green version of the band wasnt nearly as well known as the Mick Fleetwood led group.

Quote by Kartman

Peter Green is my ultimate Idol. I think he is better than Clapton, but EC is awsome. Since I got John Mayall with Greeny, my musics changed.

I honestly cant stand the pop-era Mac. I love the flowing improvising beauty of Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. Actually everyone in the Peter era - Jeremy, Mick, John - were insane. I'm slowly building up my collection of Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac Cd's.
Good band. I like what I've heard.

Plus, they are a huge influence on one of my favorite bands, Aerosmith, so they get some points there. Stop Messin' Around and Rattlesnake Shake
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
Stop Messin' Around and Rattlesnake Shake

Searching for Madge and Fighting for Madge are awesome songs as well as basically everything Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac put out.

The band has it's combination of songs meant to sound perfect, as well as others that were nitty-gritty Blues.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Searching for Madge and Fighting for Madge are awesome songs as well as basically everything Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac put out.
yeah, I know...those two songs were basically where Aerosmith took their live Rats in the Cellar/Rattlesnake Shake jam from
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

The band has it's combination of songs meant to sound perfect, as well as others that were nitty-gritty Blues.

I'm looking for these songs. I think Then Play On is the only studio album i dont have
Oh, but it is definitely one of their best. I highly recommend you buy it.

Songs such as My Dream and Coming Your Way are a couple of other great pieces from that album.

I'm not sure why, but some of the band's work reminds me of some of the music created by Santana in their earlier albums.
Great bluesy rock. Great band.

I still think I like some of Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac more, because I heard it when I was a lot younger, and it's great pop-music, but when (one day) I was told what I was listening to was Fleetwood Mac (and it was PGFM) I was like 'No way! This is awesome awesome guitar music!'

Was very pleasently surprised I must say.
Yes they were. Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitarist, just different. I personally love the songs that he wrote.

Probably one of the Cd's of the Box Set. Its callled the Original Fleetwood Mac. Awsome songs, the solo's are out of this world!!!
I love both Fleetwood Mac incarnations, but I've never heard music that stirred my soul as much as the music of Peter Green. Just insanely brilliant music.

Also:

- 'Then Play On' was good, but the band at the time were so much better. I have an amazing bootleg of a gig at the Fillmore West in January 1970 that showed the band on the form of their lives.

- The Green Manalishi was better in the studio, but Peter's live 6-string bass solos were absolutely brilliant.

- Greeny's Mac pwn everything Led Zeppelin have ever done.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Last edited by Encore_God at Mar 20, 2007,
I'm listening to Pious Bird of Good Omen right now and i'm loving, i never knew they wrote Black Magic Women and Green Manalishi, the next time my dad tries to tell me how much better Judas Priest is compared to what i listen to i'm gonna shove it in his face that his favorite Priest song was written by Fleetwood Mac
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

I'm not sure why, but some of the band's work reminds me of some of the music created by Santana in their earlier albums.

This was a period in which Peter was very taken by Santana's work. However, the most 'Latin' sounding song on the LP, Coming Your Way, was actually written by Danny.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker

In concert, the band would start with Rattlesnake Shake, move on to the Madge-inspired jams, then slow down and play Underway, then carry on jamming again... all in one 30 minute song. Immense!

Last edited by Encore_God at Mar 20, 2007,
Quote by Encore_God
I love both Fleetwood Mac incarnations, but I've never heard music that stirred my soul as much as the music of Peter Green. Just insanely brilliant music.

Also:

- 'Then Play On' was good, but the band at the time were so much better. I have an amazing bootleg of a gig at the Fillmore West in January 1970 that showed the band on the form of their lives.

- The Green Manalishi was better in the studio, but Peter's live 6-string bass solos were absolutely brilliant.

- Greeny's Mac pwn everything Led Zeppelin have ever done.

Mate thats a big call. PWNS Zep. I'd watch your back around here, some people are crazed Zep fans.
Whats the Set list from the Flimore West gig??
Did they play the Otis Rush cover of a song i dont remember whats name it is??
I like the Buckingham/Nicks era but I heard some Peter Green-era songs maybe a month ago and it was definitely a different band then, probably better too.
Quote by Blues Breaker
Mate thats a big call. PWNS Zep. I'd watch your back around here, some people are crazed Zep fans.
Whats the Set list from the Flimore West gig??
Did they play the Otis Rush cover of a song i dont remember whats name it is??

I know mate, I've been dealing with them here for nearly 5 years

They kicked off with the Otis Rush song 'Homework', then blazed through a set containing Before the Beginning (a gorgeous performance of it too), Like It This Way, Coming Your Way, Albatross, Green Manalishi, I Got To Move, Stranger Blues and a 20-odd minute jam of Rattlesnake Shake. Greeny also played a solo blues, a stunning version of B.B. King's If You Let Me Love You.

Quote by Blues Breaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17dFmYZ8Kk
I'm looking for this Fleetwood Mac song. It Takes Time. BTW this guy is a freak!!

It's from a rare bootleg, 'Dead Dust Blues'. He's actually not a freak, he's a very good guitarist.

Page 1 of 4