how are these inferior to closed back?. What difference does it make?. I want to get an ENGL screamer but there is much debate whether it is good for nu metal type stuff..liquid gain etc.
open backs dont have as tight a bass response as closed back
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Open back cabs sound different than closed back cabs. They aren't inferior, just different sounding and are personal taste. Generally, they don't work too well for metal.

As far as the screamer goes-

I don't think that it has enough gain to do more (most) modern metal tones. It can barely suffice to do a very modern rhythm, let alone a significant lead tone without a boost.

I'd suggest another ENGL for something like nu metal. Or a boost, if you like it like that.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Open back cabs sound different than closed back cabs. They aren't inferior, just different sounding and are personal taste. Generally, they don't work too well for metal.

As far as the screamer goes-

I don't think that it has enough gain to do more (most) modern metal tones. It can barely suffice to do a very modern rhythm, let alone a significant lead tone without a boost.

I'd suggest another ENGL for something like nu metal. Or a boost, if you like it like that.

so would you say it has less gain than a jcm2000?. i was fairly dissapointed with that and a planning on running an amp through a boss eq or metal muff plus di'ing a bass combo which sounds beefy as hell. so that would help the bass and the gain..or else get a 5150.
how would one make a piece to fit over the opening? what kind of wood? seems like it could be an easy, if not jury-rigged, extention. in an attempt to simulate the tone?
Quote by Cabron1
so would you say it has less gain than a jcm2000?. i was fairly dissapointed with that and a planning on running an amp through a boss eq or metal muff plus di'ing a bass combo which sounds beefy as hell. so that would help the bass and the gain..or else get a 5150.

It doesn't necessarily mean less gain. It just tightens up the bass.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Cabron1

It (the screamer) probably does have slightly less gain than a JCM2000 in my experience. I didn't try th em at the same time, or even within months of eachother.

If I had to say I'd take a 5150 over either of those for a nu-metal amplifier, though.

As far as the closed/open back cab debate-

The Open Back cabs generally are more airy and spread the sound better than Closed Back cabs, which have a slightly better bass response, and are more focused and directional.

Obviously, focused/tightness and a responsive bass are much more important in Metal than some other forms of music, considering the higher tempos and lower tunings.

So depending on your situation or taste, either cab can be beneficial. However, ALL traditional and modern metal cabs have been closed back. I can't think of any other than a few random 3/4 back cabs which are available.

Quote by sethp
how would one make a piece to fit over the opening? what kind of wood? seems like it could be an easy, if not jury-rigged, extention. in an attempt to simulate the tone?

You would use a plywood made of hardwood. It will be about 1.5x or 2x as expensive per sheet as regular plywood, however it is heavier and its what true cabs are made of.

You could also use regular hardwood in pieces of wood. Like.. Birch, Cherry or Maple and laminate them together to make a piece large enough to cover the opening of your amp.

Then, you need to get ahold of some tolex, particularly that looks like your amp (or different, if you're into that thing) and some spray glue. Spray glue on the piece and wrap it up. You only have to wrap ONE side and the edges.

Place the cover on your amp and get a drill bit with a smaller diameter than the screws you're using. Punch some pilot holes through the cover and into the cab of your amp. This will serve as a guide for the screw so it doesn't go cockeye (assuming you drill them straight) and will serve as a guide for you to drill out the cover's holes slightly more. By removing a bit of wood via drill you'll also save yourself a possibly unsightly bulge where your screws belong.

Get some nice looking screws and washers or fittings and screw the cover on.

Viola, open back becomes closed back.

If you ever need to service it you can remove it. If you want the sound of an open back amp, you can open it up. ETC.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 14, 2007,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
It probably does have less gain than a JCM2000 in my experience. I didn't try th em at the same time, or even within months of eachother.

If I had to say I'd take a 5150 over either of those for a nu-metal amplifier, though.

You would use a plywood made of hardwood. It will be about 1.5x or 2x as expensive per sheet as regular plywood, however it is heavier and its what true cabs are made of.

You could also use regular hardwood in pieces of wood. Like.. Birch, Cherry or Maple and laminate them together to make a piece large enough to cover the opening of your amp.

Then, you need to get ahold of some tolex, particularly that looks like your amp (or different, if you're into that thing) and some spray glue. Spray glue on the piece and wrap it up. You only have to wrap ONE side and the edges.

Place the cover on your amp and get a drill bit with a smaller diameter than the screws you're using. Punch some pilot holes through the cover and into the cab of your amp. This will serve as a guide for the screw so it doesn't go cockeye (assuming you drill them straight) and will serve as a guide for you to drill out the cover's holes slightly more. By removing a bit of wood via drill you'll also save yourself a possibly unsightly bulge where your screws belong.

Get some nice looking screws and washers or fittings and screw the cover on.

Viola, open back becomes closed back.

If you ever need to service it you can remove it. If you want the sound of an open back amp, you can open it up. ETC.

But shouldn't you be careful? I know of my JSX combo, it says to leave a 24" space between the amp and the wall for ventilation. Wouldn't making a cover over the back of the amp 'cause problems?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
You don't need to cover the entire amplifier, just the opening behind the speaker.

I'm pretty sure that its not for the amp, but for your own safety. So you don't accidentally lean it up against something and have it catch fire. I mean, it could be that it would get hot- but I can't really see having a back on the cab that much of a problem considering most of the amps are moderately enclosed.

You could even put a vent on it, or make it a 3/4 or 1/2 back cab (or even just use an extension cab) if you were really that concerned.
Hmm. I guess you're right. I just thought it might have been for cooling reasons, so that the tubes and speakers wouldn't overheat, 'causing a malfunction or fire.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
cool man i just heard a screamer demo and its very very bright and small combo sounding. i think the 5150 is calling me!
Not many amps have that problems with heat. Its rather rare and a pretty big flaw in design. Most manufacturers take things like that into consideration when designing their amps.

Heat of course, is an issue, but I wouldn't worry two much about having that much breathing room for your amp. A 3/4 back cab is still plenty of change!