Now I know they're not technically punk, but they made a huge impact on punk and they're typically associated with punk. I hadn't seen any threads on them, so I figured I'd start one. So what do you guys think of the Sonics? I don't think anyone has ever wailed like Jerry Rosalee. Best song IMO is Strychnine. Any thoughts?
Don't they do have love will travel? If so, yeah that's the ticket.
Dont ask me what I think of you
I might not give the anwser
that you want me too...Oh well
I found "Here are The Sonics!!!" in a record store in Delaware for $10.

It's good but there just aren't enough original tracks.
Quote by Valhalla
Don't they do have love will travel? If so, yeah that's the ticket.

Yeah they do.
And they have seriously been my favorite band for a few months now. My favorite songs are Strychnine and The Witch, although I really like Have Love Will Travel as well.

Random Story Time:
I actually found out about them from the the guy I bought my amp from. I heard Have Love Will Travel on a television commercial sometime over a year or so ago but at the time I didn't know the name of the band who performed it or the name of the song so I was going fucking crazy trying to figure out who it was. Then five months ago I was trying out an amp and I played the riff from Have Love Will Travel and the guy who owned the amp was like" Hey man, you like The Sonics too?" and then a years worth of musical frustration was lifted and I finally figured out who did the song.

I meant to get the guy's band myspace because he had really good taste in music but I all remembered was his first name and I forgot to ask so I forgot all about it until last week. I was googling the Zachary Thaks because I'm trying to buy their album and while searching for it I came across this awesome punk/garage rock band that listed the Zachary Thaks as an influence and I totally loved their music. I checked out the band a little bit more and **** me, the guy I bought the amp from was playing guitar for them . Its just one of those weird small world things.`I've been looking for a band with that sound for so long and when I finally find it, it turns out to be right next to me and and I didn't even know it.

If you like The Sonics you'd probably like em
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=98504745
And then his other band is a bit more NY dolls sounding
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8906050
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 14, 2007,
Some folks like water, some folks like wine, but I like the taste of straight strychnine.

Nazis from Mars do an awesome cover of that song.

If you don't like the Sonics you don't appreciate good punk rock music and good rock and roll. It's not an opinion. That's a ****ing fact.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
^That's a cool story, and I like that guy's band.

As for the Sonics, they are good. I've been digging around in garage rock/punk/revival for the past few months. There are so many good bands that never get any exposure. If anyone is looking for some good tunes, listen to the podcasts at garagepunk.com.

Also if you like the Sonics, try out the Limes.
Quote by opivy21
^That's a cool story, and I like that guy's band.

As for the Sonics, they are good. I've been digging around in garage rock/punk/revival for the past few months. There are so many good bands that never get any exposure. If anyone is looking for some good tunes, listen to the podcasts at garagepunk.com.

Also if you like the Sonics, try out the Limes.

thanks for the links, that garagepunk.com site looks awesome
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Oh, it is. I just started listening to the podcasts a few days ago. I have some big catching up to do.
Yeah the Sonics are awesome. 'The Witch' is one of the punkest songs from the 60's garage bands.
But overall I'd say that The Seeds are my favourite 60's garage/psych band.They are just too damn good.

It's crazy to think how many amazing bands were formed in that decade. But I guess that's why so many got forgotten along the way.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Mar 15, 2007,
man, the sonics are incredible. Thee Headcoats do a good cover of "strychnine" as well. In fact, that was the first place I heard the song.

A+
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE
used to listen to them like 2 years ago. i forgot about them actually. i think theyre a decent band.
Hi!
Does anyone here has a good source for sonics tabs? i couldn't find any one ultimate guitar tab search...please pm to me.
thank you very much!!!

garage rock forever
yeah, I'll have the rents buy me a cd or summat

Who here like the Trashmen? I love the photo of them where they're smiling like good '50s kids, but look utterly evil. It's brilliant.
^The Trashmen are cool - quality surfy music. But like alot of the 60's garage bands they were a bit of a one hit wonder.

They have such a cool name though.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Who here like the Trashmen? I love the photo of them where they're smiling like good '50s kids, but look utterly evil. It's brilliant.

All the pictures of 60s punk bands are funny because they play wild music and were legendary for driving parents crazy, but in the pictures they're all smiling, and they're often wearing matching outfits with their guitars jacked up to their necks. I can't fault the music, though.

I recommend that anybody who likes 60s garage punk to buy some Back From the Grave comps on Crypt. I have a couple volumes and they're great. There's tons of other compilations too, like Nuggets if you want to get more into Psychedelic stuff, but I think most people here would already know about that.

As for the Sonics, I just ordered Here Come the Sonics a few days ago. I'm sure it'll be good.

And for lightningboy, I'll give the same site I gave in the Garage Rock thread.

http://webrock.free.fr/

Just glancing over a few of the Sonics tabs I see mistakes, but they should be a good starting point. Also, garage rock is probably a good style of music to help you tab by ear since there's a lot of the simple stuff and repeats of progressions between songs.
Quote by opivy21
All the pictures of 60s punk bands are funny because they play wild music and were legendary for driving parents crazy, but in the pictures they're all smiling, and they're often wearing matching outfits with their guitars jacked up to their necks. I can't fault the music, though.

No, it's brilliant, because they dress really smart to keep the authoratives happy, but still look punk. It's subversive!

i really...don't....care...for the sonics....
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
You poser. You're so un-punx. The Sonics pwn so hard. OMG OMG, you probably like Fall Out Boy, faggot.
but...the sonics are not really punk...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.