what is rhythm guitar? whats there role in a band. What bands have good rhythm guitarists.
AC/DC has a good rythym guitarist. They are pretty much the ones that play the chords/power chords, and in my opinion are more essential to a band than lead guitar, although many would probably disagree.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Claudio Sanchez is a good rhythm guitarist (alot of people think he's lead), but his rhythms...are leads. Crazy!
Quote by 6touch6of.evil6
the role is he keeps the rhythem riff going while the lead guitarist shows off his stuff

+1 for lead guitarists...

well, basically, they strum chords for the lead...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

James hetfield (of metallica if u didnt know) is pretty good and Johnny Cash, I think, is pretty much rythm guitar and vocals. He aint that great on guitar but i like him for his vocals.
John Lennon
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Drew Dolezal
Also izzy From Guns N' Roses is great.

although slash played rhythm and some solos at the same time.
also jimmy page is crazy at double tasking.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Drew Dolezal
Also izzy From Guns N' Roses is great.

my favorite

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by CORT noob
AC/DC has a good rythym guitarist. They are pretty much the ones that play the chords/power chords, and in my opinion are more essential to a band than lead guitar, although many would probably disagree.

It really depends on the band, in Fall out Boy the rhythm guitarist plays a few dropped d power chords while theres the occasianal " lead" guitarist doing a pentatonic. ( but i would have to get a warlock thrown through my head before that happends) But then look at bands like dragonforce both guitarists are probably better then anyone on this site( not offense to anyone). IT really depends on the band and what type of music they are playing. Right??
Pete Townsend.

although he is the only guitarists in The Who, he plays alot more rhythm than riffs.. listen to Pinball Wizard, My Generation, Baba O'Reilly, Etc...
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by ilovemySG
It really depends on the band, in Fall out Boy the rhythm guitarist plays a few dropped d power chords while theres the occasianal " lead" guitarist doing a pentatonic. ( but i would have to get a warlock thrown through my head before that happends) But then look at bands like dragonforce both guitarists are probably better then anyone on this site( not offense to anyone). IT really depends on the band and what type of music they are playing. Right??

Dragonforce's guitarists are very sloppy. My friend saw them live, they sucked. couldn't play half of their own material.

....sorry for double post.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Dragonforce's guitarists are very sloppy. My friend saw them live, they sucked. couldn't play half of their own material.

....sorry for double post.

it all sounds the same anyway, high pitched random bs
rythm guitar is any riff or pattern that you hear that just adds to the song as a whole. a lead guitarist just kinda goes through and adds on top of the song. one of the greatest guitarists of our time is stone gossard (Pearl Jam, Green River, Mother Love Bone, and Temple of the Dog). Most of rythm guitar parts involve strumming chords or banging out some power chords, but everynow and then you get some really cool comples riffs. Some examples of cool rythm parts are:

Rolling Stones- any song has amazing rythm guitar
Pearl Jam - Given to Fly (maybe Stone's best work)
ACDC - any song
BLind Melon - Mouthful of Cavities (really cool acoustic rythm part that relatively complex)
James Taylor - all of his guitar work is rythm guitar. its nice complex fingerpicking
Cream - Sunshine of Your Life (Clapton's got the riff right on this one)
Metallica - Fight Fire with Fire

Hpefuly this is a nice variety of different examples of how rythm guitar can used. dont think less of rythm guitarists. they make the song.
Eddie Van Halen is a cracking rhythm guitarist too...at least when he's sober.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Generally speaking, the rhythm guitarist will be playing chords (usually power chords in rock) while anything comprised of individual notes running up or down a scale will be done by the lead guitarist.

The lead also plays the solo, if there is one.

Note that it's not black and white, and a lot of bands will have both their guitarists playing the same rhythm together, playing lead riffs in harmony or otherwise exchanging roles.

Also, the rhythm guitarist's stuff is usually less difficult to play, and so rhythm guitarists of many (not all...) bands are less technically proficient than the leads. The majority of famous guitarists are famous for their work as lead, though the best guitarists (Hendrix level) can often do both rhythm and lead in the same piece of music.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
Yeah, check out the rhythm guitarist for Dragonforce, his name is Sam Tomtom. He fu**ing rocks
~Washburn Acoustic
~Stratocaster
~Epiphone Les Paul Standard W/Flamemaple top
~Peavy Amp (soon to be Marshall )
~Boss ME-50
*Totman LOL
~Washburn Acoustic
~Stratocaster
~Epiphone Les Paul Standard W/Flamemaple top
~Peavy Amp (soon to be Marshall )
~Boss ME-50
The guy from dragon force (not herman li!!) hes not bad, whether he plays sloppily or not. Matt heafy from Trivium, hes my favorite. the guy from A7X is horrible compared to gates.
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
John Lennon

That guys got a point.

Pete Townshend
Kurt Cobain I like his rhythm work...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Rhythm are def. more important than lead, IMO.

Take a song like Sultan's of Swing, it has alot of lead licks and stuff stuck throughtout the entire song. Well play just the lead, and sing with it... Not that great.

buttttt, now play just the rhythm and sing with that. Sounds good, without the lead, but not without the rhythm, the lead is nothing without rhythm. But lead is still important.
The role of a rhythm guitar is to provide the pulse or rhythm for a song, and to provide harmony that supports the other instruments or voices, in contrast to the lead guitar, which provides melody.

Rhythm Guitarist FTW!
Rhythm guitar isn't about simplicity, its about supporting other instruments, but mainly the lead guitar.
I go to eleven..........
but u cant really say sam totman is a rhythm guitarist go to youtube and put in " through the fire and flames solo" if you havent heard it becuase if you werent on this thread, you wouldnt tel who was lead and who was rhythm

Dude, if life lets you down, remember that YOU were the fastest sperm to the egg
If you look at bands like Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, or Sinergy you have these rhythm/lead guitarists that pretty much do both jobs. They interchange parts and have this nice spidery thing going on.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
so most good bands have 2 kickass guitarists that can be both rhythm and lead guitar interchangably?
Quote by RAbbuk
so most good bands have 2 kickass guitarists that can be both rhythm and lead guitar interchangably?

Not necessarily.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?