I have a math test tomorrow and i'm stuck on this question I came across while reviewing.

okay here is the question in french, and I will try translating it into english

J'ai 140 pieces de 5 cents, 10 cents, et 25 cents, mais j'ai 15 pieces de 25 cents de plus que de pieces de 10 cents. Si je possede en tout 20$, combien de pieces de chanque sort ai-je?

I have 140 pieces of 5 cents, 10 cents, and 25 cents, but I have 15 more pieces of 25 cents than 10 cents. If I have 20 $ in total, how many of each do I have.

The way our math teacher told us to do it is write it out like so.

5x

10x

25x

and Then I got this from the problem

5x
10x
25(x+15) = 2000

the 2000 because you need to turn the dollars into cents.

Anyways, I know your all smarter than me but when I get

25(x+15) + 10x + 5x = 2000 and I simplify that to

40x + 375 = 2000

You are supposed to minus the 375 from itself and the 2,000 and then divide the 40 into 2,000, but it doesn't go in evenly.

So UG! What am I doing wrong?, because I remember doing this in school, I lost the answer, but I know the answer is even...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Jesus Christ, can we get a ban on homework threads?

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK

Why the Hell would you come here for help anyway? Study, read your books, go online.
Poor advice.
I no longer am required to take a math class, so my brain doesn't work at the moment.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
whats wrong with homework threads? there aren't THAT many of them, and people really can help.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
whats wrong with homework threads? there aren't THAT many of them, and people really can help.

Because it involves work, and I didn't come on UG to work
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
So don't bother opening the threads. But anyways it's okay, turns out the teacher didn't ever want us to do the question anyways.

Okay, this isn't homework, it's studying for a test so I can understand how to do the problems!

Thanks everyone though

Oh, it's in french because i'm in french immersion.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Quote by AthenasGhost
So don't bother opening the threads. But anyways it's okay, turns out the teacher didn't ever want us to do the question anyways.

Okay, this isn't homework, it's studying for a test so I can understand how to do the problems!

Thanks everyone though

Oh, it's in french because i'm in french immersion.

French immersion ftw!

Which french school are you going to? I used to go to Louis-Honore Frechette. The school is literally north of Toronto (if you crossed the street to the south, a sign said "Welcome to Toronto!").

Damn, I miss the innocence of elementary.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Metal-X
I no longer am required to take a math class, so my brain doesn't work at the moment.

ditto

seriously after i finished my final exam for maths i forgot everything within a week
Quote by Kutanmoogle
French immersion ftw!

Which french school are you going to? I used to go to Louis-Honore Frechette. The school is literally north of Toronto (if you crossed the street to the south, a sign said "Welcome to Toronto!").

Damn, I miss the innocence of elementary.

Neat, but I'm from Winnipeg, and I'm currently still in Junior High School, well technically grade 9 is high school, but i'm stuck in a Junior High environment for the rest of the year, then I'm going into full French IB at a high school, which should be.... Interesting.

I've been taking french immersion since grade 7, it was a late french immersion program.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
That's a grade 9 math problem? Shit, I never realised how big the jump from grade 9 to 10 and then 11 was.

French IB is probably better for your French than my current one is. I started in gr 1, and spoke alot of French until after grade 9, where I barely spoke any.

Now my french is pure merde. But at least I know how to say shit in French.
Quote by Metal claw
The answer I got is:

45 pieces of 5 cent coins
55 pieces of 25 cent coins
40 pieces of 10 cent coins

That's 140 coins that add up to 20 dollars, where there are 15 more 25 cent coins than 10 cent coins.

Yeah that's right.

If you're curious, the way to set it up is as follows:

You assign a variable to each number of coins:

5x
25y
10z

So that gives you an equation where 5x + 25y + 10z = 2000

Then, another equation where x+y+z = 140

And then a final equation where 25y - 10z = 15

You can then either substitute or eliminate in order to find the value of one of the variables, and then use that to solve for the others.