for me to restore this guitar and do a little customization. It is a 1980 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom. It is a guitar that was only in production for 3 years, so technicaly its kind of a rare guitar. It has some damages to the finish, but thats about the only thing wrong with it. It sounds good and looks good, but I think it could look better. My worry is that the value of it will only go up, and that by customizing it, I would take away from its values. Does anyone know anything about how that works?
I would leave as much stock as possible, as long as everything works.

Maybe replace the hardware if it hinders the guitar's ability to play.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Alrite. I think I'm just going to leave the pickups and finish alone, but the rusted screws and bridge should be replaced.
It doesn't matter, the Sonex is a complete waste of time. If it plays and sounds good consider it a bonus and do whatever you want. It has no collectible value, and is thought little of by the Gibson afficianados.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
the sonex is a waste of time? I think you might be the worthless one, my friend. A Gibson thats sounds exactly like a Les Paul for a quarter the price. I think thats far from worthless. In fact I think its worthmore, and I think your a snobby jackass who hasnt gotten laid for a while.
Quote by Mudder
It doesn't matter, the Sonex is a complete waste of time. If it plays and sounds good consider it a bonus and do whatever you want. It has no collectible value, and is thought little of by the Gibson afficianados.

That may be true right now but who knows what can happen in the future. People probably said the same thing about old LP juniors, now they are selling for thousands.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Don't be mad when the answer isn't something you like.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.