Do they make those? I think I have seen them before but I can never find them. its sort of important for me to have them because thats what to me makes that bass so sexy.

BTW I am not planing on getting one soon but I want to atleast know if there are any or not.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
No, no they don't. However, the cheapest Jazz with block inlays is the Geddy Lee sig.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
No, no they don't. However, the cheapest Jazz with block inlays is the Geddy Lee sig.

damn $800... are they good?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
You can just buy a cheap MIM on eBay and then order a custom neck from Warmoth. It would probably be cheaper than the Geddy Lee too.
Oh man... the Geddy Lee bass only comes in black. This sucks balls.

I wanted a Fender J bass with block inlays in sunburst. I guess that won't be my next bass after all.

Also, I checked that warmoth place and they charge about $200 for a neck. WTF?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Well, the SX basses are dirt cheap, but they aren't too too terrible. The Geddy is apparently an amazing bass (how sweet the sound) with a nice thin neck.

Also, about the $200 neck... how much did you expect them to cost?

If you want a bass that's better than the SX, comes with block inlays, and still is cheap-o, you can check out http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326702521
Although it only comes in Natural (that looks cool).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah you could get the Squier and mod it to Fender specs(or better), unless youre the kind of person who wants "Fender" on the headstock, I'd say this would be your best bet

EDIT: Sorry bout this but has anyone tried the fretless version of those Squiers. I've been looking foe a fretless to play around with and it looks pretty sweet and the price is very reasonable.
Last edited by the_hoople at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by the_hoople
Sorry bout this but has anyone tried the fretless version of those Squiers. I've been looking foe a fretless to play around with and it looks pretty sweet and the price is very reasonable.

The Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz? I've played it and it's really good - I'm buying one when I have the cash. Only thing is it comes with Fender roundwound strings. Best to replace them with flats asap. I only wish it didn't have lines!
Last edited by smb at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by smb
The Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz? I've played it and it's really good - I'm buying one when I have the cash. Only thing is it comes with Fender roundwound strings. Best to replace them with flats asap. I only wish it didn't have lines!

No no no no no no NO!!! The fingerboard of that bass is made of Ebonol (bowling ball material) and it never wears out, so the whole point of the bass is to play it with roundwounds! Just like Jaco did (notice it's 3-tone sunburst with no pick guard)! If you want to put on flats, you may as well get a Fender MIM.

Also, I've played it as well. It's nice and all, but it had maybe 10% of the growl that my epoxied Fender fretless had. Unfair comparison, sure, but growl is what I go for from a fretless with roundwounds.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I know the fingerboard is pretty tough, but for me the fretless sound is with flats - but I see what you're saying. I know it's modelled after the Jaco sig too, but I'm not a Jaco fan and I don't want his sound. You can tell everyone looking at a Squier that they may as well get a MIM but that doesn't mean they have the cash!
I see. However, those basses aren't OMFG cheap, and I think you can probably get a better flatwound oriented bass for that price. The main attraction of that bass I figured is, like you said, to be a cheap Jaco sig.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I tried out that fretless squier and didn't get on with it one bit, i hated the ebonol fingerboard and much preferred the standard fender, so im saving up that extra and buying the standard
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The ebonol fingerboard has a somewhat similar-ish texture to an epoxied board. The feeling of epoxy lies somewhere between the feeling of wood and the feeling of ebonol. I might consider that bass. I traded in my fretless because I was so paranoid of damaging the fingerboard, and was too defensive about it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I love how my topic got turned into a totally different subject.

So how are those SX's? Are the good? How much are they and why does that link say illegal field...?

Oh nevermind, there $160. Hell, I would be better of sticking with my bass now then getting that. BTW I have a RBX170 which I like alot.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Marcus miller bass is the answer!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
If Fender made MIM basses with maple fretboards and block inlays, I would buy one or three so fast. For shame, Fender.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
If Fender made MIM basses with maple fretboards and block inlays, I would buy one or three so fast. For shame, Fender.

I'm with you. I want a Geddy lee, but with the neck to P bass specs. I can't stand a tiny little neck, it feels like a toy in my hands. I much prefer 5 stringers over 4s usually, so that might be the case. I love the feel of a nice P bass neck, the J bass necks feel like they're going to snap.

Anyway, on topic. The cheapest basses fender makes with block inlays that I could find were the Geddy lee and Marcus Miller sigs. I HIGHLY reccomend the Miller over the geddy lee though. Even as sexy as the black inlays are. Maybe Marcus Miller body + aftermarket neck.. oh the possibilities.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
I'm with you. I want a Geddy lee, but with the neck to P bass specs. I can't stand a tiny little neck, it feels like a toy in my hands. I much prefer 5 stringers over 4s usually, so that might be the case. I love the feel of a nice P bass neck, the J bass necks feel like they're going to snap.

Exact same here. I'm definitely a P-bass guy, and I would -love- to have a P-bass with a maple fretboard, natural finish, and black pickguard. But I don't have any love for the MIA Fenders (other than the deluxe models)...I'd rather get a MIM and upgrade the components myself.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Quote by canadianpunk071
Exact same here. I'm definitely a P-bass guy, and I would -love- to have a P-bass with a maple fretboard, natural finish, and black pickguard. But I don't have any love for the MIA Fenders (other than the deluxe models)...I'd rather get a MIM and upgrade the components myself.

Well, in 1974-78, Natural was Fender's "standard" colour. They also favoured black pickguards, and definitely maple fingerboards with block inlays. Basically, if you track down a mid to late 70's P-Bass, you'll track down that bass of your dreams.

However, those late 70's basses are pieces of shit. However, you might be able to track down a well built one. I saw one exactly like your description sell at LA Music for about $2k.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Well, in 1974-78, Natural was Fender's "standard" colour. They also favoured black pickguards, and definitely maple fingerboards with block inlays. Basically, if you track down a mid to late 70's P-Bass, you'll track down that bass of your dreams.

However, those late 70's basses are pieces of shit. However, you might be able to track down a well built one. I saw one exactly like your description sell at LA Music for about $2k.

Oh I'm quite aware of all that. Unfortunately I'm a poor student, so a vintage Fender isn't really in the cards for me

Hence why I want Fender to release maple-fretboard MIM basses.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

You could just buy a Jazz and then get a new neck, trade the old one in towards a new one, or hit eBay up, sell yours and find a new one. However I've only seen Vintage necks and Geddy necks and neither is cheap.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Zofar
Ooh, New discovery! Not sure if it will fit a fender, you should E-mail kurt and find out.
http://www.rondomusic.net/product856.html

Is that a Jazz neck? Because if it is, I'm going to find some Fender stickers and buy that sum' bitch and slap her on my Deluxe Active P. That's the exact neck I've been wanting and looking for on eBay.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10