I have been playing for about 6 yrs. I love to play lead and I can do the "technical" part pretty well, but I'm becoming bored with my leads. I mainly play blues/heavy rock (Clapton, GnR, Hendrix, Floyd). I have been jamming with a couple people lately, people that have been playing only about a year. So I teach one of them the pentatonic scale, and proceed to play a progression and ask them to solo. So he does, and of course due to the fact that he just learned the scale, he makes couple of mistakes and its nothing really flashy of course, but its just so much more interesting than my leads. It almost seems like I can't play with feeling anymore. I can't get into the groove with my leads. because of that, nothing new happens, I play all the same licks, the same basic everything. There is just no energy anymore. I don't play in a band or professionally or anything, but playing is my life, and I need help.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
play a gig, feel the rush. it will revitalize you. and finally the inner Rockstar will release!!! or just take a break from playing. u cant stress feeling.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
hey bro, i know where you're coming from. In August I'll have been playing for 4 years. I have gotten stuck plenty of times, all you need to do is expand the music that you listen to. You said that you like blues and rock stuff. Hendrix is a very good start, but also try to listen to some jazz stuff. Those guys can really improvise. Also anything that is technical and flows. But you must know at least your major and minor scales. Pentatonics work really well with jazz, but so does minor scales. If I were you I'd go out and invest in some new music. I suggest these artists.

Acoustic crazy soloing - Al Di Meola/John McLaughlin/Paco De Lucia
(There are three CDS by these guys)
(Rite Of Strings is also a good one)

Electric crazy soloer - John Petrucci (Dreamtheater, Liquid Tension Experiment)
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai (All Three of these are on a DVD G3 Live In Tokyo)

Fusion Jazz/Funky Bass - Greg Howe/Victor Wooten (CD is called Extraction)

JazzGrass/Banjo playing - Bela Fleck and The Flecktones

some of my other favorite musicians
Ottmar Liebert, Guitarist
John Coltrane, Tenor Sax
Eric Johnson, Guitar
Jordan Rudess, Pianos/Keyboards
Dave Larue, Bassist
Billy Sheehan, Bassist
Tony McAlpine, Guitarist
Mike Portnoy, Drummer
Stanley Jordan, Bassist
Chick Corea, Pianos/Keyboards

and hey man if you need some help with some scales just email me bro,

Sublime40ozSTP@aol.com
what i did is i started learning solos from my favorite guitar players, and then slowly there licks became my licks and now i have my own style, although you can tell who i listen to, and im continuing to improve.
learn the notes on the fretboard...

choose a scale...

find out what notes to accentuate...

work on your chops...

really listen to your playing (to develope your ear)

the rest should be easy
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
I have the same problem dude, i can play really badly some of my favourite songs. But when i try to write a solo or even improvise i always end up playin the same thing. I can write good riffs at least i think so anyway, but when i try to play something different it just sounds absolutely awful and exactly the same every time even when i play something else.

It can be very frustrating!

I,ve been playin for just over a year and dont know any scales Can anyone help? Where can i find some tabs for scales? Or something to that effect.
learn the notes on the fretboard, then just learn the intervals
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
I just skimmed threw this thread so i don't know if anyone said anything about Modes.
UG has amazing Mode lessons. And their are many thread where people like Cas helped explain them. and thanks to elvenkindje it wont be hard to find these cause all of them are in the MT FAQ sticky at the top.

Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Wow thanks for all the help guys. I know I need to learnd some new scales, but the thing is I am very impatient and I have severe ADD, so its very hard for me to sit down and learn something like that...I have looked at some jazz stuff but its complicated as shit. Is there any one scale that I can use for most jazz tunes? Just one scale to get me started.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

^ jazz tends to do this thing where the scale gets altered to the chord its being played around (some classical music does this too and i recommend learning this technique as it can give a great sound to your improve regardless of style) for example, say we have a simple progression of
GCDC (all major chords)

the scale(s) you would play would be

G major (with the G chord)
C major (with the C chord)
D major (with the D chord)
C major (with the C chord)

try this out, it can sound pretty fantastic.
I think I understand that situation...
In my case, I just stopped playing that much because I got bored. It had all become too mechanical. I started doing more of other things in my life. After a while I got back to guitar playing when I felt like.
Now it seems more like myself playing the guitar. Moved towards discovering my own style..Think I just needed time for myself and to think.
Learning some more theory helps definitely.
Last edited by shpongle at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by z4twenny
^ jazz tends to do this thing where the scale gets altered to the chord its being played around

Yeah I have noticed, when I am soloing I will play a lick and its sounds awesome. I realized that I was playing along with the actual progression, not just 1 scale in 1 key. The problem is, I only do this by accident It doesn't happen very often. I just don't want to have to sit down and learn something new, I just wanna be able to play it without thinking lol. I feel like I have spent so much time learning and now I just want to play...
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Seriously...watch that Melodic Control video the guy posted. It's a must watch.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
yeah well the altering scales to the chord takes a little while to get used to, you practice it for a little while every day then after a week or 2 theres almost no thought in it at all, you just do it. here's the thing with practice, if you always want to be better, you will always practice. theres a time for jamming and a time for practicing, i recommend more jamming and playing to have fun than actual practice so that you don't become bored or tired of your instrument. but practice is how you get better and capable of expressing yourself more fluently so its a delicate balance.
Quote by nightwind
Mama always told me to eat my Melodic Control

lol wtf? (excellent video though).

Learn theory, and solo in stuff other than the pent. Modes are awesome. Also, listen to some Satriani
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I have Satch's Surfing with the alien album, but I really don't like it. I don't like much of satch's stuff. His tone is horrible...
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

To a large extent your fingers will want to go where they are most comfortable going--
namely to where they have gone most of the time in the past.

It's pretty important to constantly practice new things, When you do enough of that,
your soloing will start to spontaneously go to new places. Assuming you practice those
new things well and get comfortable with them.

One thing that's added a TON of new content to my own soloing has been "Sheets Of
Sound". One of the best books out there for soloing studies.
Quote by USAPeavey
I have Satch's Surfing with the alien album, but I really don't like it. I don't like much of satch's stuff. His tone is horrible...

I prefer other stuff by him than the stuff off of that album. And when you do, some of his stuff sounds exotic, and they're a good use of modes.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Mar 15, 2007,