I remember a long time ago, my grandfather telling me a story about a moonshiner. He was in such a hurry to deliver his moonshine, that he forgot to top off the car. As he was driving, he ran out of gas. He knew the cops could drive by at any time, so he decided to pour a jug of moonshine in the fuel tank. He turned on the car, and to his astonishment, not only did the car start up, but it actually performed as well (if not better than) as his car did with regular fuel in it. Could this REALLY happen? I know moonshine is combustable (especially 100 proof ), but is it enough to make a car run?
Yeah, ethanol can. E85, anyone? But I think it would be highly inefficient because the ethanol would burn too quickly and would lose a lot of the energy in heat. But I'm not up to date on the specifics. So, yes it could work, but don't try it, because it won't be good for your car. You have to have the right components to keep it running correctly.

EDIT: I'm not too convinced 100 proof will burn. We've tried it with 100 proof vodka, and didn't get it to light. I think the proof has to be higher. Bacardi 151 will tho.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
Last edited by rbmason at Mar 15, 2007,
You can run a car on used cooking oil getting the same results as normal fuel. (well thats according to mythbusters) so you can prob run cars on other stuff aswell.
Im pretty sure that if moonshine was only 100 proof its illegality wouldnt be so strongly enforced. Bacardi makes 151 which is legal in the US only because 151 proof is the highest alcohol content allowed by what ever division of the government controls these things. So I would consider anything homemade using a sour mash and with an alcohol content of 152 or more "moonshine". Anything else would probably be considered "corn wine" "rye wine" or something of the sort. But anyway, I dont think that moonshine alone would be enough to power an automobile.
Quote by ckellingc
Well the 100 proof that my grandfather used to make (don't ask for some) was 50% alcohol. So I'd guess that it MIGHT work.

50%?

Shit.
Some Guy?
I could be possible, depending what the moonshine consisted of.

A 100 proof spirit is 50% alcohol per volume, as mentioned above. There are a number of spirits and liqueurs on the market around that mark, and even weaker, that have the ability to catch alight very easily. White Sambuca comes to mind, which is only 40%, which ignites quite easily.
However, things like whiskey won't ignite as readily at 100 proof, and few whiskeys have a higher proof than that.

On the other hand, you're more pure spirits, particularly white or clear ones, like your vodkas, white rums and grain spirits, ignite more readily. You've probably seen people blow insane looking blue/purple flames by spitting out mouthfuls of Bacardi 151 (which is around 75% alcohol/volume) onto naked flames.
I've never got my hands on any purified grain spirit, which can be well into 90%'s alcohol, but i'm sure that stuff would have a good chance of combusting.

If we're talking about very strong moonshine that has been well refined, then this story may be true.
Quote by panasyncp17
whiskey has to be warm for it to ignite

my whiskey sits on the counter... dont think ive ever had cold whiskey...

ummm... moonshine. ive seen an old black guy put some in his tractor and ride the bitch home... sooo i guess it works.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Quote by NotOneWithNames
my whiskey sits on the counter... dont think ive ever had cold whiskey...

ummm... moonshine. ive seen an old black guy put some in his tractor and ride the bitch home... sooo i guess it works.

not room temp, i said warm. warm up your whiskey and light it up, blue flames will dance
Its possible.

Speaking of moonshine, my buddy is brewing a bit. I should give him call. He made a batch awhile back and flavored it with spruce tips. Good stuff.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Quote by garrettwichert
Im pretty sure that if moonshine was only 100 proof its illegality wouldnt be so strongly enforced. Bacardi makes 151 which is legal in the US only because 151 proof is the highest alcohol content allowed by what ever division of the government controls these things. So I would consider anything homemade using a sour mash and with an alcohol content of 152 or more "moonshine". Anything else would probably be considered "corn wine" "rye wine" or something of the sort. But anyway, I dont think that moonshine alone would be enough to power an automobile.

Moonshine's illegal because that the people that make it don't pay taxes to the state for it.
If you didn't know. Sorry if you did.
Quote by rockr09
Moonshine's illegal because that the people that make it don't pay taxes to the state for it.
If you didn't know. Sorry if you did.

I don't think that's why it's illegal.
The main reason why moonshine, or making your own distilled spirits to be more specific, is because the potential hazards associated.

For one stills are known to blow up on occasions when not properly controlled.

Secondly, distilling without proper know-how can create moonshine that is potentially poisonous. Alcohol in the form we know and love, ethanol, is a poison itself, particularly in large doses, just look at the side effects!
But the distillation process has the potential of creating OTHER more poisonous forms of alcohol, like methanol and butanol, which have the potential to kill
Quote by Muggus
The main reason why moonshine, or making your own distilled spirits to be more specific, is because the potential hazards associated.

Secondly, distilling without proper know-how can create moonshine that is potentially poisonous. Alcohol in the form we know and love, ethanol, is a poison itself, particularly in large doses, just look at the side effects!
But the distillation process has the potential of creating OTHER more poisonous forms of alcohol, like methanol and butanol, which have the potential to kill

Which is why it's quite probable that you can use it as a gasoline substitute. Not great for the vehicle, but still can work. Most moonshine is made to be over 50% alc. anyways, which when people don't make it right can cause death because they don't know the percentage of the moonshine they've made.
Quote by Muggus

No, it really is because it's not taxable.
Sure it's not healthy either, cause you don't really know how much alcohol/volume you have. Really, methanol and butanol are harder to produce than what you lead to be. Brewing is a fairly simple chemical process. So is meth, ha. A rather important problem you can lead into is if you let oxygen into alcohol for a long period of time. It oxidizes and produces aldehyde which is bad. baaad!
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212