so i've got what i consider a problem. the problem is me... yup im the problem. see i cant figure out which way i want to go musicaly. i mean i listen to allll types of music. you name it... ive got. anyhitng from slightly stoopid to robert johnson... frank sinatra to mudvayne and jsut **** i listen to it all. i most ENJOY playing what i call " acoustic surf funk"... its kinda the mellow type shit i can best compare it to g. Love and Special sauce. well see where im from noone really wants to hear that. and this is where i get lost. when i play shows the only thing people want thats even close to what i want to play is jack johnson. well you can only play sweet home alabama and jack johnson so many time before you loose your ****ing mind. most of the bars i play at want to hear the good oldies, and theres nothing wrong with that, but they jsut want so much out of me that i have no time for CREATING my own shit. and when i do i dont write like i want to. most songs ive written are best compared to alice in chains or blind melon. and thats jsut not the vibe im going for. any advice???
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
well if stuff you make is compared to alics in chains i guess thats a good place to go, i do think bands like tool are good because you can listen to them zoneing out and resting or the same song going nuts, my opinion anyways
but thats not what i want... and im having trouble changing is all i guess im tryin to say...
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Don't write songs for the audience. You play songs for the audience, but you write songs for yourself. When you've got the songs you want to make complete, then write something you can play for your bar shows.
Quote by Dan Steinman
You know you are a guitar player when the kids in the elementary school band can read sheet music better than you
You say you are a very open person when listening to music, why cant you be one when playing music? Give the audience a bit of change from what theyve already heard, every muscian has to do that or they cant progress.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
You say you are a very open person when listening to music, why cant you be one when playing music? Give the audience a bit of change from what theyve already heard, every muscian has to do that or they cant progress.

But too much and your paying gig will be gone. Your goal in bars is good times through music, so the people drink more. You don't get that through 30 minute free form jazz explorations. This isn't meant to be biting, mind you.

Threadstarter, I'm not really sure of your question. I'm not sure if you even have one. How do you play mellow music? Listen to the bands you like, find out what they do, learn, develop, innovate etc.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
see i'm of the avid belief of what someone else posted write what you want to write, play what you want to play. i personally enjoy all forms of music as well, my first cd had heavy metal of all forms (prog/thrash/speed) mixed in with industrial, blues, classical and techno. basically everything i enjoy and that is what i wrote and recorded, i heard nothing but good things (noting of course the occasional criticism such as "this part is repetitious" or things of that nature. seeing that i got good results from going with my gut feeling on that i will continue that way. i recommend the same to you, follow your gut, if you want to write a jazz song, then a thrash song, then a blues song, then an alt rock song, then a country song DO IT!!!
I agree with z4tweeny, just jam. Let it flow, your the musician you decide how to write your songs. If you feel a nice jazz jam coming up in the middle of a heavy metal tune, go for it; as long as it works, though. Like I said earlier, just jam.