Page 1 of 3
A genre of metal that I have been into for quite a while, yet gets no recognition (at least that I see of).

Anyways, are there any other sludge fans besides AcidBathsomethingsomething on this board?

Some of my favorites:
Noothgrush
Lair of the Minotaur
Iron Monkey
EyeHateGod (somewhat)
Toadliquor
Ultralord
Corrupted
Men in Search of the Perfect Weapon
Acid Bath

etc...
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by ferretman
Are Alice in Chains classified as sludge metal or are they more grunge?

Grunge for sure.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Grunge is not a real genre. Pearl jam is rock, Nirvana is punk, and Alice in Chains is I don't know what.

On topic: Never heard of such a genre, but I'll check out the bands you've posted when I'll get home.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
I Love Sludge metal I like
Iron Monkey
Boris (kinda sluge i think)
EyeHateGod
Evilwilly (local)
site?
I love music!
I hate how it turns us on each other!
I support music as a whole! not this useless hate!
Buried at Sea arew quite possibly the heaviest band I have ever listened to.

Crowbar also kick hefty amounts of arse. Acid Bath and Iron Monkey (cheers Mike) are also worthy mentions.

My favourite, if they're considered Sludge, are Corrosion of Conformity.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Can't believe I forgot about Buried at Sea.

She Lived For Others But Died For Us is such a kickass song.

You might also like Graves at Sea.

I don't know if facedowninshit are allowed here, but they own massive amounts of kickassery.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

I know its death/black, but goat***** is kinda sludgy, 'specially funeral dirge for the rotting sun. and totally ****ing awesome. Vocals in sludge like eyehategod and crowbar give me the shits. Coffins owns (death/sludge I spose)
Quote by powerhead
I ****ing love acid bath. Try a band called Electric Wizard. Very heavy, very sludgy

I already know of Electric Wizard.

They're actually one of my favorite doom/stoner metal bands.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Sludge owns.
Electric Wizard rape face, that goes without saying really.
13 (Liz Buckingham's former band) and Buried at Sea are also excellent.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
I thought sludge was more like Isis or Cult Of Luna, I would classify the listed bands as stoner metal. But I'd guess I'm wrong.
Isis and Cult of Luna would be atmospheric sludge/post-metal.

Lair of the Minotaur has it's moments, but that's about the only real sludge band I have in my library. I've heard Pelican and Mastodon referred to as sludge too, which are both good bands. Capricorns is great as well, although I don't really know the tr00 sludginess factor of the last 3 bands I mentioned.
Baroness anyone? My buddy showed them to me and they're quite good. Otherwise I'm not a huge fan of sludge, save for atmospheric sludge, but thats obviously a lot different.
^Yes.

They're more in the vein of stuff like Keelhaul and Lair of the Minotaur.

EDIT: And Brodie, I've not heard much from Baroness besides their "Second" EP.
It was pretty cool stuff.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Last edited by kirkisking at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by kirkisking
^Yes.

What about Pelican and Capricorns? I'm pretty sure Pelican isn't (it's really just heavy post rock, but I see it referred to as sludge sometimes), but I'm curious just what exactly qualifies the genre.
I've seen Pelican described as both atmospheric sludge and post metal, I guess both work.
Capricorns are just uptempo instrumental sludge. And are also bloody excellent.

Quote by kirkisking
^Yes.

They're more in the vein of stuff like Keelhaul and Lair of the Minotaur.

EDIT: And Brodie, I've not heard much from Baroness besides their "Second" EP.
It was pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, they only have two EPs (fitfully titled First and Second) I think they might be working on a full length, not sure.
Quote by Metalisourlife
Wheres my crowbar and superjoint ritual fans?????

I have only 1 song by Crowbar, "I Feel The Burning Sun", and holy sh*t, that song kicks so much arse.

But SJR... no.

And Pelican pwnz. Australasia is amazing.
Superjoint Ritual is just plain fucking horrible (as evidenced by said thread).

Crowbar are great though.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Sludge is one of my favourite genres, and my band plays some kind of it. We're playing a gig with Kongh and Sanctuary in Blasphemy wich are among the biggest sludge acts in sweden.

Kylesa and Baroness are gold, I saw Kylesa last summer live before I head of 'em and they became one of my favorite bands. Also the sludgy Boris is exellent.
Cant say I've heard of this genre before. It should be called passed out heroin addict metal. Too slow for my taste. slow tempo morta skuld, kinda boring.

I typed up a big long post name dropping all my favorite sludge bands. And then my ****ing computer freezes so I'm just going to mention ones I haven't seen in this thread yet.

Greif
Buzz-oven
Glaciers
Animal Blood (They're more like hardcore/Wizard influenced stoner rock but they're the shit)
Church Of Misery (more Jap-stoner, just on the sludgier side of things)
Down
Kalas (post-rocky sludge, Matt Pike is the singer)
Soilent Green (A mix of death/grind/sludge, I think a lot of people who aren't into sludge would like them)

Also I just want to say that I dislike Crowbar and I don't see why they get so much credit, the vocals are annoying.

EDIT: Oh silly me, I forgot to mention my band. Vaginal Destruction, we play doom and stoner rock influenced sludge. We just finished our demo last week, theres a bit of mixing left to do and it should be up on our myspace by next week. Right now there is just our cover of Weird Beard by Fu Manchu with a really bad solo if any one wants to hear that.

VD's Myspace

To anyone in the New Jersey area: WE NEED SHOWS!!!
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
Last edited by AcidBath443 at Mar 17, 2007,
Quote by Hells_Bell
Grunge is not a real genre. Pearl jam is rock, Nirvana is punk, and Alice in Chains is I don't know what.

oh my god how has no one noticed this yet. Nirvana is in no way punk. If you wanted to call Nirvana something other than grunge it would be alternative rock. But I think grunge is a pretty good term to describe the sound of those bands.

and to stay on topic, I always thought Lair of the Minotaur was thrash.
I've only heard Iron Monkey, indeed a good band. I have to check some of those other bands to.
Quote by ph3n0m
I have only 1 song by Crowbar, "I Feel The Burning Sun", and holy sh*t, that song kicks so much arse.

But SJR... no.

And Pelican pwnz. Australasia is amazing.

try existence is punishment by crowbar.
Most sludge sucks, I far prefer the post-metal side of the genre.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by kirkisking
I've been listening to a lot of Acid King lately.

My guitarist loves those guys, I never really liked them all that much though.

Take As Needed For Pain is such an awesome balance of groove and brutalness, probably my favorite Eyehategod song. Also there is this death metal band Clit Torture who are quite sludgey too. (forgot to mention them in my other post)
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
This post is out of place but, kirkisking, i just gotta say I LOVE your avatar.
^_^
Quote by Metalisourlife
Wheres my crowbar and superjoint ritual fans?????

forget them, what about DOWN? wouldnt they be sludge metal
Like a lot of southern metal bands, they're kind of a mix of sludge and other metal genres, like stoner and doom metal.
Yea, my sludge knowledge ends at Pelican, Isis, Mastodon, and the list kirkisking gave me in the Recommendation thread a while back (I have them bookmarked, but I'm not at home to reference.).

I really need to get an external HD so I can download more. I need to broaden my horizons of sludge.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Wow, I'm surprised you guys even know who Acidbath and Soilent Green are. They were pretty big down here in their time but I didn't know if they got much attention outside of the state.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Page 1 of 3