Page 1 of 3
I play ALOT of Muse and would appreciate some suggestions for a Bellamy-like sound, especially that of the OoS era, but any Muse-esque guitar would be great!

Ibanez? Don'r be a smartass mand say "Get a Manson" cause I know they're like £8000 and I only want £200-£400 (?) guitar! Cheers!
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

id say some kinda telecaster, i used to play shitloads of muse myself haha and i think his mansons are designed around tele's so id say one of them
He used a Peavey Wolfgang EVH before he got the mansons in OoS, so try one of them.

otherwise, any humbucking tele?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Personally I'd go with a fat strat and a fuzz factory
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Try a blackout fmt tele. I used one for a while, while I was into indie and just plain rock and it worked great.
i'd also say the 72 Telecaster custom, but it would also be worth checking out a digitech whammy pedal, i know that Matt Bellamy uses that a lot
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
He uses Ibanez on some of the heavier songs live, eg stockholm syndrome. My Ibanez S470 produces a pretty authentic Muse sound, and it's a similar shape to the Mansons too.
Hmm there are alot of suggestions for Fender here... I was expecting more of an Ibanez-type modern rock guitar with dual humbuckers!
I thought Fender were quite overrated, are they actually really that good?
Also, I like the Telecaster design and always have, so what about the '72?

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Last edited by ponnightingale at Mar 15, 2007,
i would have assumed a LP style guitar without a maple cap would have been better suited to Muse?! arent his current guitars mahogony?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

The amp's the most important part, I think a lot of guitars could pull his sound off.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
fenders arent overrated.

neither is gibson.

i just dont like them

its all "OmG BIGGZORS BranD11!" so you think theyre overrated.

id say a '72 tele custom.
72 telecaster... in black with a mirror pickguard to get the look somewhat down

and a bareknuckle nail bomb in the humbuck position(you dont have to but thats the main pickup he uses for distortion)... and you keep the bridge pickup for the nice cleans best of both worlds

and the a whammy would be good as well
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Where would I get a Telecaster, '72, with a mirror pickguard?
I'm lost :s

Anyway from what I gather they cost like £500 and I don't have near that much...

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

He used to play an SG, well at least thats what guitargeek and some other sites said so maybe you could get an epi or a faded
the mirror pick guard would be seperate sorry if i confused you

but anyway just get a normal tele and have the guitar shop mod it to have a humbucker IN THE NECK (the bridge is where you get that famous tele sound from)and plus its easier
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by Arlabester
fenders arent overrated.

neither is gibson.

i just dont like them

its all "OmG BIGGZORS BranD11!" so you think theyre overrated.

id say a '72 tele custom.

Hmm... That's funny. As I recall, you dislike Gibson because of "OmG BIGGZORS BranD11!"

Anyway, like every other freaking post said, I say a tele.
teles is a godess in a sea of cows
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

the best guitar for muse is obviusly Manson, but to bad he refused to remake any of matt's guitars
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by latinosuperstud

and a bareknuckle nail bomb in the humbuck position(you dont have to but thats the main pickup he uses for distortion)... and you keep the bridge pickup for the nice cleans best of both worlds

Wrong. He only has a Bareknuckle pickup on the Broken Mirror Kaoss Manson. The others have other brands, mostly Rio Grande, if I remember correctly. He used Kent Armstrong Motherbuckers, but he even replaced his on the Black Manson for a Rio Grande (I saw it live).

Anyway, the best guitar for a Muse sound is probably the Les Paul BFG, I think. P90 + high output HB and mahogany body, plus a killswitch. For a "whammy bared" guitar, you should go for an Ibanez.

Forget about the Fuzz Factory. He only uses it for noise and for Plug In Baby.

And you should get a VH4, a Vox amp and a Marshall amp, DOZENS of Line 6 rack effects, a Digitech Whammy 4 and an AdrenaLinn II (MotP).

If you don't have the money, get a cheap Ibanez or the Pacifica 120S (first guitar Matt used in Muse and the one that "inspired" the Mattocasters design).

I dunno why everyone is pointing towards the Teles, since Matt uses mahogany guitars, but whatever...
Quote by ponnightingale
I play ALOT of Muse and would appreciate some suggestions for a Bellamy-like sound, especially that of the OoS era, but any Muse-esque guitar would be great!

Ibanez? Don'r be a smartass mand say "Get a Manson" cause I know they're like £8000 and I only want £200-£400 (?) guitar! Cheers!

Tbh I would buy the fuzz factory, Imo be better than a look alike guitar minus the tone. and that pedal is where most of he's tone comes from so.. (Well on previous albums)
Quote by k*CMYK
Wrong. He only has a Bareknuckle pickup on the Broken Mirror Kaoss Manson. The others have other brands, mostly Rio Grande, if I remember correctly. He used Kent Armstrong Motherbuckers, but he even replaced his on the Black Manson for a Rio Grande (I saw it live).

Anyway, the best guitar for a Muse sound is probably the Les Paul BFG, I think. P90 + high output HB and mahogany body, plus a killswitch. For a "whammy bared" guitar, you should go for an Ibanez.

Forget about the Fuzz Factory. He only uses it for noise and for Plug In Baby.

And you should get a VH4, a Vox amp and a Marshall amp, DOZENS of Line 6 rack effects, a Digitech Whammy 4 and an AdrenaLinn II (MotP).

If you don't have the money, get a cheap Ibanez or the Pacifica 120S (first guitar Matt used in Muse and the one that "inspired" the Mattocasters design).

I dunno why everyone is pointing towards the Teles, since Matt uses mahogany guitars, but whatever...

hes used a fender according to guitar geek... they are generally ash or alder... and the fender telecaster extremely versatile...and plus i like the tone of his broken mirror manson
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by False_God
Tbh I would buy the fuzz factory, Imo be better than a look alike guitar minus the tone. and that pedal is where most of he's tone comes from so.. (Well on previous albums)

NO. FFS, HE ALMOST NEVER USES THE FUZZ FACTORY! Why do you think he got a new guitar without internal effects? He uses it for PIB, now. On Abso tour he used for PIB and for noise (after the piano intro of New Born, for example). On OoS he used it also for noise (Showbiz @ Hullabaloo, Hyper Music @ Jools Holland, for example) and PIB.

His tone comes from Mahogany, P90s or high output HBs, Line6 POD XT Pro, POD Pro (yes, both), Echo Pro and Mod Pro, and Diezel, Vox, Marshall and, probably, still Fender and Soldano (he didn't used the Vox before).

You can go to Musewiki and Musegear at what you'll find there about his amps is outdated. This is his new amp setup:

You can even see that he uses the fuzz from his rack effects. The fuzz factory has a VERY distinctive tone...

hes used a fender according to guitar geek.

He used the Aloha Strat that he bought from his old tech, but he didn't used it very much, when comparing to his old Les Paul, the SG, the Mansons, Ibanez DTX120 and whatnots. The only tele he used was on the New Born video.

Seriously, trust me on this. I'm a Muse fanboy. |:
Last edited by k*CMYK at Mar 15, 2007,
Get a les paul double cut, or an ibanez. Just make sure it is a mahogany one with a good trem. Sgs would probably cut it aswell, he used to use one for all songs he needed a whammy on.
Quote by ExplorerFreak
Hmm... That's funny. As I recall, you dislike Gibson because of "OmG BIGGZORS BranD11!"

Anyway, like every other freaking post said, I say a tele.

no.

cos theyre greedy (melody maker, VERSIONS of freakin studios and specials) and just jerks (cutting my music store AND joe elderly.)

fenders a big brand, and im a fan boy.
Quote by Gibson Phoney
Get a les paul double cut, or an ibanez. Just make sure it is a mahogany one with a good trem. Sgs would probably cut it aswell, he used to use one for all songs he needed a whammy on.

That Les Paul he used isn't made anymore. I think there isn't a single LP double cut on production now... The BFG is the one that might get a similar sound, though.
Quote by k*CMYK
That Les Paul he used isn't made anymore. I think there isn't a single LP double cut on production now... The BFG is the one that might get a similar sound, though.

you couldnt be more wrong.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Double%20Cuts/Faded%20Double%20Cut/

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Double%20Cuts/Les%20Paul%20DC%20Pro/
Matt in a Fender!!!???? Are you sure???
I think a LP double cut or a BFD Les Paul will be the closest to his tone but since both are also expensive guitars too. I think he should get an Ibanez with a mahogany body. either the S or SZ series.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Quote by Arlabester

Oh, thanks. I totally forgot. |: I'm not too keen on double cut guitars. |:

Matt in a Fender!!!???? Are you sure??? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPxHWCjJ_P0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3P-sTHmOU

http://musewiki.com for more info. It lacks the PRS and Jackson guitars he used on this tour (and then trashed them). It was a Jackson RR, I think (X-plored design) and the Good Charlote signature PRS.
well im not going to argue with you because you are obviously ovsessed with them... and rightfully so they are awesome...

but we recommend the tele because its not as over priced as the les paul bfg and any other gibson product... while gibson does make quality products they are far out of his budget

the tele is a good affordable versatile solution and 1.he can mod it with a kent armstrong/ nail bomb or p-90 in the neck or 2.buy a whammy and fuzz pedal... so he isnt stuck with one tone if his musical ambitions change
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

well im not going to argue with you because you are obviously ovsessed with them... and rightfully so they are awesome...

I'm more of a gear freak |:

But with the tele you'll get a sound that's to bright, I think. I think he would be better with an Ibanez or the Pacifica and then he should get a DS-1 or ProCo Rat. After that, pickups and/or other effects, but the Fuzz Factory ALWAYS in the end.
To clear things up, I have a Fuzz Factory already, and have a Roland Cube 60 amp.

My budget: <£400

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Telecaster with humbuckers probably... though a big part of his sound seems to come from a zVex Fuzz Factory
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Quote by k*CMYK
I'm more of a gear freak |:

But with the tele you'll get a sound that's to bright, I think. I think he would be better with an Ibanez or the Pacifica and then he should get a DS-1 or ProCo Rat. After that, pickups and/or other effects, but the Fuzz Factory ALWAYS in the end.

thats the beauty of a tele though the tone knob does far more than on most guitars and i think the new ones have a special dark circuitry but it may be the american models
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

It's just...

Well a telecaster isn't what I had in mind, and I can't afford it "<£400 max" and I'm kinda confused cause I can't remember Matt ever using a Tele...

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Well, you'll never find a guitar that sounds like his, and the small little things being suggested in this thread won't be substantial enough to get you his tone. He has a very expensive Fuzz pedal built into his guitar to give him that sound, so the best place to start out would be buying a Tvex Fuzz factory (I believe that's what it is) and then whichever amplifier he uses. Being that an amplifier creates about 80% of your tone, with the fuzz pedal you'd be able to get his sound much better. However, a guitar that costs 400 euros will not help you get his tone any more easily then any other guitar unless your current guitar has single coils (in which case buy a bridge humbucker) or you guitar is generally just crap.
Page 1 of 3