i need the wiriring diagram for an a/b switch with out using batteties. please.

also i have a curcuit that has three wires going into it where i want to place an input jack but one wire is red one is black and the other goes to the ground, how will i wire a jack to that?
I guess this would work.

Really simple, no power sorce.
This is, if you want two inputs and one output. If you want one input and two outputs, it would look something like this...

Please tell me if i'm wrong.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Yeah about that, I can't understand what you mean. Could you post a pic or schematic to show?
umm i cant get my pics to work sorry but there are to wires going into the power amp and is it ok to put both wires to one lug(?) on a switch? will it still work?
Quote by The_0thersid3
no that still requires power (DC jack)

the two wires go to the input section of the curcuit.

Oh. Well, you said no batteries.

Why do you need no batteries, anyway?

It's easy for the A/B box to have an unbearable amount of hum...I'd just do a good one. The one on General Guitar Gadgets is nice.
Unless I've completely and utterly forgotten how a switch works, I don't think m_hedborg's wiring diagrams above are correct.

Here's one way to wire a DPDT switch for A/B switching:
^I have never really learned how the more complex switches (i.e. more then two pegs) work, could you be nice and explain that to me? Or link a site or something?

Is it like this:

in one position, these lugs are "activated"

and in the other, these are

Last edited by m_hedborg at Mar 15, 2007,
Sure. A DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) switch consists of two switches that are electrically separate and mechanically connected (meaning, will switch at the same time), and can be connected to one of two contacts at any time. In the schematic I posted above, the two columns (with three contacts each) are the two poles. The middle contact in either column will be connected to either the top or bottom contact.

Let's number the contacts thusly:
1 | 2
3 | 4
5 | 6

In one position, contacts 1 and 3 will be connected to each other, and contacts 2 and 4 to each other. Contacts 5 and 6 will be unconnected altogether.
In the second position, contacts 3 and 5 will be connected, and contacts 4 and 6 will be connected. Contacts 1 and 2 will be unconnected.

Looking at the diagram in my previous post, it should now be evident how the switch works. In one position the input (contact 1) is connected to output A (contact 3), and output B (contact 4) is connected to ground (contact 2). In the second position the input is jumpered to contact 6 and from there is connected to output B (contact 4). Output A (contact 3) is connected to ground (contact 5, which is jumpered to contact 2).

Hope this helped.
Last edited by indrek13 at Mar 15, 2007,
Check out the dragonfly layout gallery at http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php (the link should be at the top 'o the page... 2nd last IIRC)... look under misc. than go to vero layouts. You should be able to find it easily... I'd post the link if I could, but you're not supposed to post it on other sites.
Hai UG!
^^ thanks a lot, very nice of you to explain