Hey, just started playing a few weeks ago and I have a Squire Strat (yea I know, stupid me ). It is already starting to f up. I play for a few minutes and I have no output, shake the shiznat out of it and it comes back for 5 minutes then the same thing over again. Anyway... Looking at the G-400 as a upgrade. Looking to play some classic rock to metal. Mostly somewhere in between leaning towards metal (A7X mostly to start). Should I get the G-400 Vintage or the SG or something else. Only difference I see in the two is the finish and pups. They are the same series of pups but a slightly different version. I like the look of the natural finished vintage better.

BTW have a Roland Cube 20x.

Vintage
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/product/reviews/so=asc/rpp=10/sc=overall/page=1/base_pid=518669

SG
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Mar 15, 2007,
Dude...Look in your toolbox, get your screwdriver, open up the jack socket, and tighten up the jack. Make sure you put it back neatly. I have the same problems with my Squier, I have to do it about once every 2 weeks. Sucks, but it stops that annoying problem of cutting out.

Anyway, I don't think you should be buying a new guitar since you've got a perfectly 'ok' one (unless it's one of those affinity squiers).

If you do have the affinity series then buy an SG. If you really feel you need a new guitar, get the SG. More pricey but...:P
Only a few weeks and your looking at buying a new guitar. Can't you take it in to the shop where you bought it at?
Be cool.
get the SG, if u like to play metal. i would also recommend the Tony Iommi signature series, both Epiphone and Gibson make it, but get the Epiphone. obviously its a hell lot cheaper and the pickups are EXACTLY the same for both makes. if u get the gibson u just b payin for the name. u might wanna get an ibanez tho. its really suited for shred n the bridge is good 4 metal.
if you want to spend 300 to 400 on a new guitar and you want to play metal i would suggest looking at schecter's they are what A7X plays in the first place.
whats wrong with squiers, the only reason they dont sound great is because the people playin them are starting out and they r rubbish at playing, if u go on youtube there are sum awesome players who plays squiers.

however, yeah, if ur going for a new guitar then the 400 is good, and for a little more the joe perry boneyard ibanez is good. uses burstbuckers, and the zakk wylde epi is also good.
GEt a new output socket its only £3 includin fitting price then the guitar works unless ur a poser who only got a guitar to say oh look i got a guitar then i say can u play then u say no and i beat u up

nah im only joking but yewh output socket and also wait a bit i waited 1 yr b4 i got my G400 Limited edition and it makes it more exiting get ur heart set on it but dont alow urself for a yr or untill u are gd enough to shredish
Last edited by mrperson at Mar 15, 2007,
Yeah, get it fixed, not a new guitar. I had my Squier for two and a bit years before upgrading to a Fender, so it'll be fine for a while. Come to think of it, I've still got that. I should probably get some cash for it quick.
I can return the Squire Affinity Strat and not take a hit. Buying it was a kind of a spur of the moment decision (listened to the sales person when he spoke of quality, he was full of bs). I perfer to buy something of quality and buy it once. That Squire is all plastic. I can fix the output port that is no biggie but I don't want to be fixing it every freaking week b/c some sub par part borke. I mean if it starts breaking after a few weeks how long is it going to last. This is not a matter of technical ability to keep a guitar working it is a matter of not wanting to have to f with it all the time. I like to set down and play and not take 5 minutes to tune every half hour, rip the guitar apart and fix something ever couple of weeks. And yes I understand every guitar requires tuning but I should be able to do it before a session and play for a few hours w/o worrying about it.

So it sounds as if the 400 is good for the style I am looking for and I love the look of the vintage w/ the brown finish. Played a few Ibanez and there is something that turns me off about them. They just don't have the feel I am looking for.
Last edited by Immortal_Hero at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by Immortal_Hero
I can return the Squire Affinity Strat and not take a hit. Buying it was a kind of a spur of the moment decision (listened to the sales person when he spoke of quality, he was full of bs). I perfer to buy something of quality and buy it once. That Squire is all plastic. I can fix the output port that is no biggie but I don't want to be fixing it every freaking week b/c some sub par part borke. I mean if it starts breaking after a few weeks how long is it going to last. This is not a matter of technical ability to keep a guitar working it is a matter of not wanting to have to f with it all the time. I like to set down and play and not take 5 minutes to tune every half hour, rip the guitar apart and fix something ever couple of weeks. And yes I understand every guitar requires tuning but I should be able to do it before a session and play for a few hours w/o worrying about it.

So it sounds as if the 400 is good for the style I am looking for and I love the look of the vintage w/ the brown finish. Played a few Ibanez and there is something that turns me off about them. They just don't have the feel I am looking for.

Mate, it takes about 30 seconds to tune your guitar.

It takes about 50 seconds to undo your screws and tighten the jack up.

I've been playing for about a year with my Squier, and I have to do it every 2 weeks.

50 Seconds...Two weeks of quality playing..50 seconds...2 weeks...
A Squier Affinity Strat is definitely not that bad a guitar for starters. In your problem it might not be set up that well but if you get a professional to do that for you im sure you'll have one heck of a time playing on it. I remember when I started, I wanted to get a new guitar and was dying to get it but I just kept on playing and improving til I thought I was good enough for it.

Seriously, be a little more patient. It'll pay off.
@Don_Humpador: I now how long it takes me to tune it up and how long it would take to fix the output jack. The time required is not my point it is the fact I have to do it. With a quality instrument you should have not to do maintance ever couple of weeks to keep it functioning. My question is will the G-400 fit my playing style. I am not looking for buying advise I am looking for details about this paticular guitar.

@Jehuty: It was professionaly setup and the shop I bought it from will check everything any time I want to bring it in for free. The guy I deal with (not who sold me this one as he was out the night I purchased) has been playing since he was 10 and he is 35 and plays in a local band. He knows how to setup a guitar. He is responsible for setting up all the new guitars.

I love the way it plays. I am just thinking of longivety and durability. I can return it now and step up for not a lot but if I trade it in used it is worth $75 tops.
Quote by Immortal_Hero
@Don_Humpador: I now how long it takes me to tune it up and how long it would take to fix the output jack. The time required is not my point it is the fact I have to do it. With a quality instrument you should have not to do maintance ever couple of weeks to keep it functioning. My question is will the G-400 fit my playing style. I am not looking for buying advise I am looking for details about this paticular guitar.

@Jehuty: It was professionaly setup and the shop I bought it from will check everything any time I want to bring it in for free. The guy I deal with (not who sold me this one as he was out the night I purchased) has been playing since he was 10 and he is 35 and plays in a local band. He knows how to setup a guitar. He is responsible for setting up all the new guitars.

I love the way it plays. I am just thinking of longivety and durability. I can return it now and step up for not a lot but if I trade it in used it is worth $75 tops.

one you wont need a guitar to suit your playing style at the start because frankly youve only been playing guitar a few weeks and havent got a style and is more than likely rubbish at guitar, bying a g400 which isnt a huge upgrade is not what you need, you need to get your guitar set up and practise a hell of a lot after maybe a year or more then you should upgrade also if your guitars ****ed up after a few weeks take it back and theyll replace it, its probably just a small problem which they should fix free or replace the guitar. You are a fool if you think you should upgrade after a few weeks or else rich (and foolish)
Quote by Immortal_Hero
I am not looking for buying advise I am looking for details about this paticular guitar.

Your post = useless to me.
dude if u want an SG, get the gibson faded special. its to DIE for.
R O C K

www.myspace.com/jimmywoody

KISS ARMY 4EVER

"Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold"
Quote by Immortal_Hero
Your post = useless to me.

so your goin against all rationality just because you want to burn money on a new guitar which you wont be able to even use well for another year or so, fair enough but dont say we didnt warn you.
Quote by ch715dallat
so your goin against all rationality just because you want to burn money on a new guitar which you wont be able to even use well for another year or so, fair enough but dont say we didnt warn you.

how do you know he's not a really fast learner?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you wanna spend the money, go for it. I've heard really good things about the G-400.