I am about to purchase a macbook pro and I am going to do some recording on it to get me started in the career field I want to pursue. I want to buy the new Pro Tools HD 7.3 and I can not find a price on it. The upgrade is $199. Is that all i need? Can anyone help me find a price on the software? Any advice?
Last edited by punkloser620 at Mar 15, 2007,
How can you upgrade if you don't have the original software? All I know is that Pro Tools HD is WAY more expensive than the LE series. I'm unsure, but I think the starting price on one unit I saw was over a grand. What hardware/interface do you have right now? If the answer is none, I would get the Mbox 2 which comes with ProTools LE.

You may also consider getting Logic Express when you order the MacBook Pro. I think Apple gives a discount on it if you buy a new computer with it pre-installed. I know for a fact that have discounts on that for college students. Then just get yourself a simple interface. Garageband comes free with all Macs, but I wouldn't use it for any serious recording. Garageband is a program I recommend to friends who just want to record for fun or for musicians who want to learn basic MIDI sequencing.

How much experience do you have so far? Remember, it's not just the equipment, but it's what you can do with the equipment.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
I have nothing now but i will purchase some kind of Mbox. i don't know which one yet.
I have played with garage band but i would never use it for something serious.

what are the major differences between LE and HD?
ive looked and i see one the digidesign website where you can buy an update for HD 7.3 but not a full version. im looking at the "Digidesign Mbox 2 USB Audio/MIDI Pro Tools LE Interface" and it come with LE. could I buy the update for HD to update the LE version?
I hope this is a joke.
Protools HD is very much over a grand and its a control board basically.
You do NOT need hd if you are just starting with recording.
LE is the best bet if you are just starting to get into it.

You can buy an mbox off musiciansfriend.com and it comes with le

could I buy the update for HD to update the LE version?

no.
Quote by punkloser620
could I buy the update for HD to update the LE version?

Nope.

The two are interchangeable - so you can import an HD recording into LE and vice versa.

The mbox is a very nice piece of software for home recording, especially if you use it as an augmentation to proper recording studios.

best £200 I ever spent.
Quote by boomyouscream
I hope this is a joke.
Protools HD is very much over a grand and its a control board basically.
You do NOT need hd if you are just starting with recording.
LE is the best bet if you are just starting to get into it.

I don't think it was a joke, it was just ignorance. The HD isn't just the software, it's the interface/sound cards. Usually the HD series sound cards, and that's only the sound cards with I/O capabilities, no preamps or anything like that, are not listed with a price because they are prohibitively expensive. In most cases stores/retailers have a package deal so that if you buy all your stuff from them you can get a (very) slight discount on a HD system and that's another reason why you rarely see prices on the HD.

Anyway, for the original question. If you're a rank beginner then the LE/MBox solution is the best. ProTools is the studio standard so learning it from the start is a plus. If you're serious I'd suggest getting the newer MBox2 Pro with FireWire because it has some good expansion capabilities. But more realistically I'd just recommend the MBox 2 Mini until you've learned enough.
Quote by punkloser620
okay that makes sense. So with LE will i be able to do eveything i could do with HD?

AFAIK, you can do everything in LE that you can do with HD, the only restriction is on the interface, there's gonna be more inputs. Something which isn't neccessarily a problem, because you can get a cheap behringer mixer for things like drums and good guitar recordings.
awesome that helps alot. thanx

what mics would you recomend for vox. and other instruments
How many mics are we looking at, and what's the budget?

EDIT: Also, which particular instruments?
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Mar 16, 2007,
money isn't an issue. but i don't want to spend more than about 150 per mic and ill start with one voc. mic and 2 instrument mic.
a smart move would be everyone's first piece of advice: start off with a Shure SM57.

It's good for close-miking guitars, scratch vocals, snare drums and a close overhead for the hi hat / crash cymbal.

For actual vocals, far micing of guitars and drum overheads, you'd need a condenser mic. I use Rode mics, but they're out of your price range, and I'm sure there's a cheaper alternative that's just as good. I hear Samson aren't too shabby.

I adore these beauties for mid-distance guitar mics, and bass drums:

http://www.electrovoice.com/products/91.html

These are about 750 USD new, but apparently "you can get them 2nd hand from the army because it's the mic they use on good morning vietnam"

which is probably not true at all since the guy who said that is full of shit, plus it's not even the mic they use on that particular film. It's still worth checking out if you can get a cheap used one, it's my all time favourite mike and an awesome piece of equipment.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
AFAIK, you can do everything in LE that you can do with HD, the only restriction is on the interface, there's gonna be more inputs.

Wrong, there are also differences in the software. Key commands and such.
Quote by ebon00
Wrong, there are also differences in the software. Key commands and such.

really?

Interesting, i hadn't worked that one out.

The only thing I've found different is the keyboard shortcuts, but that's cause I'm working from PC on LE versions and mac on HD.

Quote by BrianApocalypse
really?

Interesting, i hadn't worked that one out.

The only thing I've found different is the keyboard shortcuts, but that's cause I'm working from PC on LE versions and mac on HD.

Keyboard shortcuts, definitely but you also have that function, can't remember what it's called for the life of me, where you use single key strokes for certain edit/display functions (you also get some slightly different functions from the numeric pad). Lower track/voice count. Processing power. Beat Detective LE is scaled down. And so on...
i thought there was something different about the software. but i saw that the new 7.3 version has some new features. will they have those features on LE and HD?
I wouldnt know coz im still on 7.1

i cant get the update to work for whatever reason beause my internet connection is terrible.
Quote by punkloser620
i thought there was something different about the software. but i saw that the new 7.3 version has some new features. will they have those features on LE and HD?

You can always find that kind of thing out at the Digidesign website. They usually have a "what's new in..." when they release new version software. Speaking historically additional cool features tend to show up in HD/TDM first and then trickle down to LE in the next upgrade in slightly reworked/rescaled form. But from what I could see at first glance the features that were new seemed very similar for HD and LE this time around.