Page 1 of 2
Sorry if this idea is really stupid, but I thought it may be a good idea...

When I started guitar, I had all sorts of crazy thoughts in my head about guitars, that were totally untrue. Heres where you share your ideas about guitars, that you thought were true...

Ill start: I used to believe a fat strat was a strat with a thicker body
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Epi Les Paul Standard (Plus-Top )
Fender DG-25
Ibanez Hummingbird copy
Fender G-DEC
Crybaby oringinal wah
I used to think you had to pick EVERY note you played (waaaaay way back) and thus developed a crazy picking hand really early, only to realize it's not necessary (though still useful ).
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
I used to think there was only like 5 scales, and they were the ones my old guitar teacher taught me.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
I used to think that guitar FX were produced on the guitar itself...by sheer "talent".....
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
i used to think that to become a great guitarist, u had to be related to someone famous...god i was so stupid when i was 5 lol
when i moved in with my flatmate he thought you needed different guitars to make tremolo, phaser, chorus, flange sounds etc
Quote by Revalk
I used to think you had to pick EVERY note you played (waaaaay way back) and thus developed a crazy picking hand really early, only to realize it's not necessary (though still useful ).

i use to think that too =[
Quote by Jawkster
Pork, Beef, Lamb, Chicken, or Seafood? i say pork- like bacon and pork scratchings

Quote by 4evaroxn
i say vegeterian

Quote by zjp2404
Omg, you like to eat vegeterians?
i thought strats and hollowbodies were the ugliest guitars, and swore i would never play them. i also hated blues jazz and RnB. All of that has changed.
I used to think that my Kramer Striker with whacked out electronics and a Floyd was the best thing ever.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
I thought Power Chords were cords in the sense that you plugged them into your amp and guitar, and it made distortion.

*silently weeps*
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
i used to only bend the string down, towards the floor instead of up. for some reason i thought if i bent it up it would be like pushing down on the whammy bar. im not sure how i thought that but i did.
Quote by subliminaldelta
I thought Power Chords were cords in the sense that you plugged them into your amp and guitar, and it made distortion.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that.... no offence.

I used to think solid state amps with lots of on board effects were the dogs kahunas.
i used to think if i bent the strings downwards that the sound would go down....
even when i played like that and it didnt id drilled it into my head so much i imagined it did lol
I learrned and played only the first position when I started and thought that all the other frets were there just for looks.
I used to think SS amps were way better than tube amps. How naive I was.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
I used to think the Pick Of Destiny made you a good guitar player. This theory has yet to be solved....
Be cool.
I had a friend who thought that guitars were made of metal or plastic. He stubbornly believed this until he dented my guitar and realised that there was wood under that polyurethane.

When I was 8 or so, I thought that you were supposed to the tune the strings of the guitar so that you could play twinkle, twinkle little star on the open strings.

I was a rockin' 8 year old alright...
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
About 10 years ago, I had thought the Bass guitar was responsible for the sound of a power chord.

Oh the embarassment.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I thought my Strat had a Floyd.

Probably the stupidest thing I ever did, I wasn't that stupid a noob.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I used to think hammer-ons were called hard-ons, only to be corrected by my teacher after saying - "I've been doing my hard-ons all week!"

I have a new guitar teacher.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by LightningRider at Mar 15, 2007,
^
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
i used to think that you tune it til you think it sounded cool then that was the standerd tuning (first time i picked up a guitar)
HARDCORE GROUPIE OF THE LENGENDARY ZEPPELINISM
PM The Heartbreaker to join(you should join ) !!

TEH BEST THREAD EVER =]

Quote by DownInAHole.
3 times I've been sigged!

actually four now..^^^
I used to think (long before I picked up guitar :P) that you mades tunes out of playing the strings open, and you fiddled around with the tuning pegs to get more sounds.
when I got my strat (squier) and tried using the tremolo I tried lifting it from the body to change the pitch and nothing changed, the only thing I could do was dive bomb, I went around for like two weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't raise the pitch....hahaha I was an idiot.
Quote by Free
I hope you 'pulled off' your 'hard on'????

God damnit! When I first saw this thread I thought: "Hmmm... 'I used to believe'... there's no way in hell anyone could post a relavent penis joke. Nope, I have faith."

And now you've gone and ruined it!
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
long before i actually started to learn guitar i thought that you could make every not on just one string, which made me think that having 6 was a complete waste of time and money
I used to think that the electric guitar had others note different than the acoustic guitar, the distortion came directly from the guitar switch and once you broke a string you had to buy another guitar.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
^Umm, they are?
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
having "pork sausage fingers," i thought jumbo frets were the answer to being able to play an "A" chord by fitting all three fingers on one fret.
imagine my suprise when my jumbo fret strat arrived, only to find that the frets
were "THE SAME DISTANCE APART!!!"
sheeeeeesh!
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Quote by Bazilisck311
God damnit! When I first saw this thread I thought: "Hmmm... 'I used to believe'... there's no way in hell anyone could post a relavent penis joke. Nope, I have faith."

And now you've gone and ruined it!

That's UG for ya!

Anyway when I first started playing, I thought that an acoustic was always played on the lower frets, and an electric on the higher ones.
When I first got my guitar I thought you could play any note on the sixth string as a chord by barring all of the strings. I played Smoke on the Water like this:

e|-0---3---5-----0---3---6-5-|
B|-0---3---5-----0---3---6-5-|
G|-0---3---5-----0---3---6-5-|
D|-0---3---5-----0---3---6-5-|
A|-0---3---5-----0---3---6-5-|
E|-0---3---5-----0---3---6-5-|
I used to think that Jumbo frets were actually longer (but was confused because all the necks looked the same length)

I also didnt know people used picks to play guitar.
I thought they strumed the strings with their thumbs (i know some do, but I mean I thought Slash was up there using just his thumb)
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
I used to believe in love and hope...oh wait, guitars...I thought barre chords were another name for power chords. and that they were spelled "bar" chords. Also that the bridge was where the neck met the body.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Once, when I was just small and just started playing, my regular school-music class did this thing, and I did the chording for it. I didn't know shite about chords back then, so my teacher gave me a chart. Anyway, it had an F chord and a Dm chord, amonst others.
Upon taking the chart home, practicing forever, and then coming back to school and finding out I still couldn't do it right, I talked to my teacher...
'Hey sir, there's no way in hell I can change from a capo to no capo THAT fast...'

True story.
Page 1 of 2