Hey all,
I'm thinking about purchasing an EQ pedal sooner or later, and was curious about the Boss GE-7. I read the reviews which were very positive, but I was curious if anyone else has used them and what their opinions were. Also, I've heard this pedal is digital. Is this true? Are there analogue ones as well (from Boss, or other)? Does the difference between digital and analogue make a big difference with EQ pedals? Where is the best spot to plug the EQ pedal in comparison to other effects (say a distortion, phaser, and wah), or are there specific placements for different sounds? Anything extra you might want to add would also be great.
Thanks,
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i have a GE7, great little pedal, many uses, can alter you're sound an amazing amount. takes time to figure it all out and get what you're looking for, but it's worth the tweaking.

haven't really got knowledge or experience of others, MXR do a 10 band EQ i believe.

i put my EQ after distortion, before modulation
I've tried the GE7, and I didn't personally like it. I went with the MXR 10 Band EQ. It seemed much more versatile and less noisy then the Boss.
The MXR 10 isn't really a stomp box though, right? You can't turn it off and on?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

^ yes it is.

and if anything i'd put it last in the signal chain.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Yeah you can, the MXR 10-band is a stomp box. Its the best EQ that Ive tried, much better than the GE7 when i used it. A lot of people like there EQ is different spots. I have mine right before my amp, after my distortion (when using my VOX). For example

Guitar > Other pedals > MXR 10 band > Amp

Works great, you'll be very happy with it if you get it.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Just as a note, I did some research, and it's only the vintage MXR's that don't have an on/off switch.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

I love my GE-7, I bought a Monte Allums mod kit for it, and it's improved it loads.

If you do buy it, I can highly reccomend Modding it as it eliminates virtually all noise!

Lewis
Was it a tough mod? I've never modded before, but I've soldered a few times.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

My GE-7 is nothing great. I never use it, I just run it through my board.

It produces way too much noise for it to be useful. I tried using it as a solo boost, but I just use my TS808 now.
High as tits
^In front of an amp, it will just tailor/boost anything you're sending in. In the FX loop it's actually helping you to EQ your actual amp's sound.
Once upon a time I had this ideal that I'd just get all Boss pedals, but it seems a few here and there aren't great. I'm hearing a lot about how noisy the GE-7 is, so I think I'm gonna go for the MXR-10. It's a little pricier, but not that much. I'll probably ebay it anyways.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
^In front of an amp, it will just tailor/boost anything you're sending in. In the FX loop it's actually helping you to EQ your actual amp's sound.

I see, so if I wanted it to complement my amp's EQ and really alter the sound, the loop would be better, and when using it for say a solo boost, before the amp is preferred? Thanks.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice

That makes sense, I mostly use it with my Vox at the moment, which is why I would use it in front of the amp. I use it to shape my MT-2's sound, which sucks huge balls without it.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by maxter0
I see, so if I wanted it to complement my amp's EQ and really alter the sound, the loop would be better, and when using it for say a solo boost, before the amp is preferred? Thanks.

Indeed. And as JesselIbanez said before me, when using a pedal for your tone, use it in front of the amp. Using both is nice as well.
Not to hijack your thread, but I have heard alot of good things about the Fish N chips eq despite the crappy brand and low price, is it decent enough for somebody looking to improve there sound on a budget?
I have a GE7, and I like it a lot. I feel it really beefs up my tone. The order of placement of your pedals is really personal preference. I'm pretty sure placing pedals closer to your guitar makes them subtler, while closer to the amp gives it a greater effect on your tone.

Though I might be mixing it up. >.>
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I'm pretty sure placing pedals closer to your guitar makes them subtler, while closer to the amp gives it a greater effect on your tone.

Though I might be mixing it up. >.>

I think you got it backwards. But im not positive either.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice

+1 in the fx loop it sounds 10x better