Can anybody give me an idea of comparison in tone, output etc between the various fender SC strat pickups?

I know jack all about them, up to now ive been a humbucking player, im after a funk/disco feel.

Cheers.

these are the ones ive seen on the fender website, but it doesnt give much of a description of the tone:

CUSTOM SHOP:

Custom '54 Strat Pickups, Custom '69 Strat Pickups, Custom Shop Fat '50s Pickups, Texas Special Strat Pickups

FENDER-LACE SENSOR STRATOCASTER:

Various "colours"

STRATOCASTER:

Hot & vintage "Noiseless" Strat Pickups, Original '57/'62 Strat Pickups, SCN Strat Pickups, Tex-Mex Strat Pickup
Godin Progression; Ibanez S320 (Dmz HBs); Ibanez Artcore (Lollar HBs) --> Blackstar S1-45

Selling: Vox AD50VT

GAS: Volume, delay, Digitech Whammy,

http://www.ampworks.co.uk
I have used and installed all of these in my various strats.. Fenders site should have all the ohm levels listed.

the laces are crisper and have more output compared to the CS. if you are doing laces in a guitar i would recommend only placing laces in. I have a silver lace in with 2 noiseless coils and the silver lace has a louder volume. fender's site reviews them nicely and is pretty accurate.

the CS pickups are pretty warm. you can hear a distinct difference between the various series. musiciansfriend has a little more info on these pickups so check there..

what kind of sound are you looking for? if you can be descriptive and I can try to help narrow which pickups you are looking for. thanks
Hey thanks for replying.

I play in a pop covers band (amongst others). At present i use a hollow body 335 style with humbuckers, (Ibanez AFS). This suits well for a large number of the songs, but there are a few where the combination does not really work (disco tracks, "never can say goodbye", type thing).

I have a squier strat (ouch) which i hope to improve by fitting new SCs to it. I dont know what your opinion of "improving" squiers with aftermarkets is, but id appreciate the pickup advice regardless.

Obv i need SCs and fender seems the obvious place to look. I'm after the kind of glassy sound they got in funk/disco songs in the 70s.

Cheers,
Rowan
Godin Progression; Ibanez S320 (Dmz HBs); Ibanez Artcore (Lollar HBs) --> Blackstar S1-45

the glassiest pickups i have played and used were the fender lace golds. the custom shop 69s are pretty close, but the laces have a little more brighter tone. if you dont mind used, grab the pickups from ebay.it will save you a great deal of money.

i'm also all for modding squiers, specifically the older korean and japanese ones. i prefer them over the indonesian or china ones. if you are going to do this, than i suggest replacing the 5 way switch and pots as well. these will clean up your sound.

this is only my opinion, but if your squier is indonesian or chinese, i wouldnt upgrade it. i would sell it and use that money toward parts or for an older korean squier.
Cheers mate, great help, just out of interest, why do you dislike the chinese squiers? (thats what i have :s ).

some newer squiers are ok. i modded an alder wood squier tele. worked out great for me.

what amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
some newer squiers are ok. i modded an alder wood squier tele. worked out great for me.

what amp are u using?

Im "between amps" atm in electric terms. Ive sold my Laney solid state to put the money towards a valve, and in the meantime just about get by with my hollowbody thru a marshall AS80R. I just use it as a power amp and tone shape beforehand, not ideal, but havent the money atm.

then i highly recommend you put the pup upgrade money into ur next amp.

imo, it just makes more sense.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have a question that I might as well add to this thread....

I have a Fender Mexican Strat that I play through a DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory. I play rock (RHCP, Pearl Jam, RATM, Audioslave) and bluesy stuff and just from reading descriptions I've narrowed it down to:
SCN $200
Hot Noiseless $150
Vintage Noiseless $150

Which set would fit me best and are the SCN worth 50 bucks more than the others?

Also, what would be the price range for getting them installed?

Thanks!
Last edited by BMat830 at Mar 26, 2007,
I have the Hot noiseless set installed on my strat.
it has a high output, but no noise. i like it personally.
i had others, like seymour duncan single coil sized humbuckers, but
these hot noiseless are the ones that suit my needs.
i play blues, all the way to hard rock.

ps: the hot noiseless may be a little too hot for the bridge...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by BMat830
I have a question that I might as well add to this thread....

I have a Fender Mexican Strat, and I play rock (RHCP, Pearl Jam, RATM, Audioslave) and bluesy stuff and just from reading descriptions I've narrowed it down to:
SCN $200
Hot Noiseless $150
Vintage Noiseless $150

Which set would fit me best and are the SCN worth 50 bucks more than the others?

Also, what would be the price range for getting them installed?

Thanks!

the vintage noisless would be fine for the sounds you posted above. should cost you no more than 50 bucks to get them installed. i do it for 30 bucks for people locally.
texas specials are really nice
so are scns
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!