do many of u anchor ur pinky to the body? i do this, and i find it helps me out, if u do this do u find it helps u?
I do, despite being told that it'll slow me down.

I've no desire to shred or play much faster than I already do tbh so I guess I'm ok. From what I've been told and what I've read, its not a problem unless you want to be able to play a thousand notes per second. :grin:
I did, but just like Free said it slows you down so I tried playing some faster songs (like Silent Night, Bodom Night) without anchoring and it felt great.
So no, I don't anchor.
I don't. You can get more attack if you don't anchor.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
There are plenty of great players who do anchor and plenty who don't. Try it both ways, I find myself going back and forth.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I do. I had no idea it slowed you down though. And do you guys not anchor at all, or do you just not anchor with your pinky? Cuz I tried not anchoring, and I have like virtually no control over my pick.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
i dunno, i tried it and cant do it, but about the speed thing, i know michael angelo batio anchors, i would say he is fast haha
Gear

Guitars

-ESP EC-1000 Deluxe - Black w/ EMG 81's
-Squire HSS Stagemaster
-Ibanez AW-100 Acoustic
-Yamaha Classical

Amps

-Peavey XXX 112 Super 40 EFX
-Peavey Rage 158
see i used to not anchor at all but then 1 day i did it automatically and so have stuck to it, iv tried a few times without anchoring and i found that i too had no control over ma pick, think i might try again sometime likes but the now i aint a fast player so i dont really need to move quick as. iv actually got out of listenin to the likes of Malmsteen cos sometimes i fell that wen u play that fast it doesnt sound much like a tune lol
i would say.......... use the search but theres millions of threads of ppl asking this just search.
I anchor on some parts of some songs, and don't on others. For instance, I can't imagine trying to play Drive by Incubus anchoring, it just feels awkward. But, some songs it's just a lot more clean anchored. Usually I dislike anchoring, though. It just feels so much better being free!

But, as for slowing you down, Petrucci anchors at the beginning of video, and it's insanely fast. I just think it doesn't fit with some songs. Just do what feels right. But, on that note, don't limit yourself. Learn to play unanchored as well. It just keeps more doors open in case you change your mind later.

For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
don't limit yourself. Learn to play unanchored as well. It just keeps more doors open in case you change your mind later.

One of the best ideas I've heard in a long while.

Oh...and I hope to GOD the beginning of that video was sped up. lol

..probably one of the best Petrucci vids I've seen btw.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
One issue I've thought of:

If you do play unanchored and you're playing live at a gig, won't it affect your accuracy if you're movin around? (eg, pick the wrong strings)
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I don't anchor my pinky, but I anchor my wrist to the bridge (even when fingerpicking), it helps my accuracy a great deal, with the added bonus of only having to move your hand an inch or so to palm mute.
I tried to anchor for a day with my pinky and it hurt my hand so much...

I quickly got rid of the small habit and went back playing normal.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R