ok so a while back my second cousin gave me his old guitar just cause he didnt want it anymore. im lefty so i dont usually play it but now i want to fix it up for my brother who wants to start playing. its really nice and has a really beautiful vintage sound, problem is there are several things wrong with it and even though ive been playing for a long time , ive never really had to fix or customize a guitar on my own. so ill list the problems it has and hopefully get some feedback on where to start.

1. everytime the strings are strummed, they rattle and loudly buzz in a weird way. i replaced the old ones since they had rust on them (this thing is atleast 20 years old) but it didnt help.

2. something is ****ed with the input jack, cuz when its plugged into an amp the sound will randomly cut out. the jack itself is a bit loose so im going to try tightening it but i dont think it'll work.

3. the two humbucking pickups are really loose, is there anyway i can secure them back into place?

this was really long but for those of you that read and offer suggestions your help is appreciated
1) You should get the guitar setup or if you can be bothered, do it yourself. That will involve adjusting the truss rod and possibly raising the action at the bridge.

2) It might just be a loose connection. Take the jack out and have a look, should be an easy fix.

3) On the sides of the pickup there should be screws, one at each side. They dictate the pickup height so you can tighten them to stop them from being loose.

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
take it to a local shop and have it set up, it should probably have new pots and a new jack installed too.
First of all: output jack.

Now, what's "rattle and loudly buzz in a weird way"? Do you mean fret buzz?

And "the sound will randomly cut out"? If wires have come off the jack somewhere, tightening the jack will NOT help it (in fact, you should never just tighten the jack nut- you ALWAYS take off the jack plate and fix it properly). So- dismantle it, see if something has come loose at either end. Because it sounds like some wire end is just resting against the connector, instead of being properly soldered to it.

And for the humbuckers- How loose is "really loose". Are they directly mounted to the body, or are they on mounting rings? Have you tried unscrewing them to see what's wrong?

Don't be afraid to unscrew anything- you can often find the source of many problems this way.
Maybe all the problems stem from the same sorce. i.e. loose humbuckers. (if they are loose, they are mounted loosly)
If loose it is easy for the wire to moove causing a "come & go" with the signal
The loose output jack needs looking at. I have found with some of my older guitars that the 6mm jacks made now cause exactly that problem. I find i need to pull the jack out slightly about 1/4" (4 > 5mm) & they work o.k.
Man a few pics would help or even tell us what type of guitar. some guitars have generic problems, why re-invent the wheel. If someone else has had the same problem
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Maybe all the problems stem from the same sorce. i.e. loose humbuckers. (if they are loose, they are mounted loosly)

The thing here is, some people think that a pickup is supposed to be on there like Excalibur in the stone, and that the wiggle they always have is "loose".
Rush fan 06 dont be scared to open your guitar up & work on it. After all it is your guitar.
What is the worst case cenario "you stuff it" or have to get it professionally done. So where is the down side if it cost you nothing. But some pics would really help.

A trick i use to find elusive 'buzzing' that i cant track . Is to roll up a piece of paper
into a trumpet (conical) , like you used to do as a kid. Then stick the end in your ear & move slowly up/down the guitar it will give you a precise location of the buzz. The hardest i ever had to trace was a hairline crack in the deck, you couldnt see it. but it produced an annoying buzz but only at certain points on the neck pulling 'F' shape at fret 10 (whatever chord that is) I just know how to play, I dont worry what the chords/notes are called. Does that make me a bad guitarist. LOL Who cares , i can kick it. Give me any song & in 1 day i'll have it down.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!