What it the best Noise gate I can get that wont affect the tone too badly but won't break the bank either? I heard about the rocktron hush and an Electro harmonix. Apparently the boss one sucks. Also there is a behringer one that is dirt cheap and as i have next to no money that may be gd but yeh i need opinions.
ISP Decimator.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
i can tell you that the boss one will be a bazillion times better than the behringer one. With noise gates, you get what you pay for.

i dont think the boss is god awful, it does what it does well, but it really just cuts your tone. Personally, i dislike noise gates, i like to keep the natural feedback on my rig. If youre having noise problems, there are a few things you can try to do to lessen the hums. You can get a power conditioner to regulate the different voltages of pedals and gear and keep your stuff running clean, and you can make sure that your rig isnt giving any ground loops,

noise gates will always steal a bit of tone, sometimes its that extra noise that makes your tone what it is.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Behringer is a clone of the Boss. I must say the Boss is definitely not so bad as you guys are making it out to be. Lots of pros have that thing in their rig. Also, if you don't want your tone to be raped by the gate/suppressor, don't overuse it. Having said all that I'd recommend the Boss NS-2 or the ISP Decimator(Pricey).
the ns-2 only works with pedals. it's absolute shit if you use it on an amp alone.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i have a noisy amp with a loop.

it didn't do shit. (yes i know how to use it's loop feature)

i put the pre-amp in it's loop. even with the threshold all the way up, it hardly blocked out any noise at all. and it sucked tone horribly.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Well I've had a different experience with it than you have. Nothing more you can really say about that other than check the shielding on your guitars and ground loop.
if it only works with pedals then the ns2 wont get rid of my hum due to single coils?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
^He was making a blanket statement because he didn't like anyone suggesting anything other than the Ns-2 sucks (Eg invalidating his opinion.) I'd say get one, but if you need proof, take the guitar you're having trouble with out to your local guitar shop and ask to play the NS-2 on a similar setup.
Well I want a noise gate because the one on my vox sucks but at least it doesnt suck the tone just notes. All my guitars feadback and my pedals hum because of something probably a noisey powersupply and maybe ground loops but I probably wont go for the Boss The behringer is a clone of the boss so no maybe the rocktron dime used that and so do the guys from slipknot.
^If it turns out you're suffering from groundloops or a ****ed up power supply, you know the gate won't do you much good right?
ISP Decimator

/thread
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Hey, don't let me discourage you. But if you're going to buy it, just make sure the place has a good return policy just in case it doesn't do anything for you.
Quote by gpderek09
ISP Decimator.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What are you talking about? The boss ns-2 is great! I have one and use it purely in my effects loop to silence my amp (it's a noisy b-52). Great stuff, complete silence when I stop playing! It doesn't suck tone, because it's not actually doing anything when you're playing. It's meant to reduce noise when you're not playing. Really, just try it. When you are playing, it sounds the same whether the NS-2 is on or not, the difference is when you aren't playing.

EDIT: forgot to mention that i was referring to the gain channel. I find that it's useful to turn off my noisegate when on clean, because the ns-2 cuts off some of your sustain on clean. only bad thing about it, but it could just be my setup.

If you're not retarded you should be able to get good results out of it. I think the guy who said he couldn't get it to work was just impatient and didn't try working with his amp and the pedal; try adjusting the volume on your effects loop for good results. I thought it didn't do anything either, but I just turned down the volume on my effects loop a tad (I couldn't tell the difference in sound), and it worked like magic. Seriously, just don't be a dumbass and you can get great results.
Last edited by wet_dog at Mar 15, 2007,
you have a shitty (imo) amp in the first place. of course you won't be able to tell a loss of tone when there isn't any there to begin with.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
you have a shitty (imo) amp in the first place. of course you won't be able to tell a loss of tone when there isn't any there to begin with.

you, sir, are an idiot (with all due respect). the boss ns-2 has a light indicating whether the noise reduction function is on. the function is not on when i'm playing. i'm fairly certain that when the noise reduction function is not engaged, the pedal is not "sucking tone".

my little baby may not be your rectifier or whatever, but it can get killer sounds for me. maybe because i spend time with my gear and try to get the best sounds i can from it, instead of dismissing equipment as shit because i don't know how to use it.
just because the red light isn't on doesn't mean it's removed from the signal path.

you can have a pedal in the signal chain, and even when it's not engaged, it is still altering the tone. it still has to travel through the pedals circitry and you loose high end. (unless it's true bypass, wich most aren't)

which for me, i use a lot of treble. you may not, so the difference is less noticeable.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Don't mind him wet dog, he came at my opinion with the same attitude. He's probably one of those kids that spend more time bashing other guitars/amps online than playing the Boogie/Diezel his richie parents bought him. I think the NS-2 is a fine pedal. Many pros use it.
Quote by gpderek09

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

That was mildly put.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
Don't mind him wet dog, he came at my opinion with the same attitude. He's probably one of those kids that spend more time bashing other guitars/amps online than playing the Boogie/Diezel his richie parents bought him. I think the NS-2 is a fine pedal. Many pros use it.

Actually, numbskull, he paid for his own amplifier (which isn't a boogie or diezel) and he DOES know what he's talking about.

He owns both the decimator AND the ns-2 and I'd go as far to assume that he would know what he's talking about considering he does own both.

He didn't say the NS-2 sucked, just that it wasn't optimum for using in the loop of an amplifier because it can be a bit of a tone sucker (this is fact, like it or not.) and when you put it right before your power amp section this is MUCH more noticeable than if it were in your effects chain because its after EVERYTHING.

go crawl back under a rock and lurk moar before you go around acting like a retard.

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

That was mildly put.

what's so bad about my amp? i think i'm missing something. may i ask what you use, and why you consider it better, and why you deem it necessary to belittle people's gear over the internet?

can both of you show some more maturity?
Quote by gpderek09
i have a noisy amp with a loop.

it didn't do shit. (yes i know how to use it's loop feature)

i put the pre-amp in it's loop. even with the threshold all the way up, it hardly blocked out any noise at all. and it sucked tone horribly.

Hey, you have an XXX, right? Your saying the NS2 didnt work at all? How about the ISP (I think I remember you saying somewhere else you had one)? Im looking for something to kill the amps hiss when Im playing loud. Thanks man.
blanket statement, but i've only heard derek say good things about the pedal, and his recordings sound good, so, i'll assume it works well.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Before you buy anything, actually sit down with your rig and troubleshoot it to see what's causing the noise. You might just be able to dial it out without buying another pedal. I'm betting you won't because most people aren't willing to actually troubleshoot their rig to see where the problems are happening, most would just rather buy another shiny, blinky box, but you'd save yourself time and money and more than likely the let down if/when the noise suppressor doesn't take care of the problem.
^Yah I use my danelectrp on full gain so it buzzez then when i kick in the morley the buzzing and feadback gets twice as worse. without my pedals the setup is nearly silent with a tad bit of vox noise gate oh and my amp doesnt have a effects loop.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Actually, numbskull, he paid for his own amplifier (which isn't a boogie or diezel) and he DOES know what he's talking about.

He owns both the decimator AND the ns-2 and I'd go as far to assume that he would know what he's talking about considering he does own both.

He didn't say the NS-2 sucked, just that it wasn't optimum for using in the loop of an amplifier because it can be a bit of a tone sucker (this is fact, like it or not.) and when you put it right before your power amp section this is MUCH more noticeable than if it were in your effects chain because its after EVERYTHING.

go crawl back under a rock and lurk moar before you go around acting like a retard.

yeah, i have both too, the decimator is a lot better for killing amp noise. For killing solely pedal noise, it's a lot closer, though I'd still prefer the decimator (mainly because it works well for killing amp noise too in addition to the pedal noise).

Though, to kill ALL the hiss, you'd ideally want another decimator in the amp's loop, and that can get expensive. But one in the front works pretty well, and it's near enough transparent.

Quote by TwoString
Before you buy anything, actually sit down with your rig and troubleshoot it to see what's causing the noise. You might just be able to dial it out without buying another pedal. I'm betting you won't because most people aren't willing to actually troubleshoot their rig to see where the problems are happening, most would just rather buy another shiny, blinky box, but you'd save yourself time and money and more than likely the let down if/when the noise suppressor doesn't take care of the problem.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i have both too, the decimator is a lot better for killing amp noise. For killing solely pedal noise, it's a lot closer, though I'd still prefer the decimator (mainly because it works well for killing amp noise too in addition to the pedal noise).

Though, to kill ALL the hiss, you'd ideally want another decimator in the amp's loop, and that can get expensive. But one in the front works pretty well, and it's near enough transparent.

+1

Definitely.

The decimator is the ONLY pedal I would buy for amp noise which is where I've heard the BOSS is inadequate. But I've also heard the BOSS gets the job done more than well enough at getting rid of noise before your amplifier as well.

So basically if you're looking for something to make your pedals shut up I think boss is the way to go.

But since the OP/Threadstarter said he's trying to get rid of amp noise I'd assume the decimator is the way to go since its known for its transparency.

I'd rather have a rack unit myself. haha.
^ yeah, basically.

Though, I think the decimator takes care of guitar noise a lot better than the boss too- the only thing the boss does half-well is pedal noise, IMO. Also, since you have to use the loop of the NS2 to get anything done, the discrepancy in price is a lot less, as you have to fork out for two more leads.

I know my decimator is in front of my amp (not killing any amp noise, in other words), and there are no other pedals in front of my amp, and it does a lot of good there. The boss, by comparison, if there were no pedals there, would do squat.

I might be doing something stupid, though, which is eminently possible, lol.

Another thing is, the boss sucks more tone the more the threshold is up- if you aren't playing with loads of gain, its tone-sucking may be less apparent.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I also greatly disliked the NS-2. The decimator is much better for all noise reduction purposes. though i feel it cuts a bit of sustain when in the signal chain
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, basically.

Though, I think the decimator takes care of guitar noise a lot better than the boss too- the only thing the boss does half-well is pedal noise, IMO. Also, since you have to use the loop of the NS2 to get anything done, the discrepancy in price is a lot less, as you have to fork out for two more leads.

I know my decimator is in front of my amp (not killing any amp noise, in other words), and there are no other pedals in front of my amp, and it does a lot of good there. The boss, by comparison, if there were no pedals there, would do squat.

I might be doing something stupid, though, which is eminently possible, lol.

Another thing is, the boss sucks more tone the more the threshold is up- if you aren't playing with loads of gain, its tone-sucking may be less apparent.

indeed. That's why you shouldn't spend the $$ on the boss unless you're sure you wont need the ISP decimator.. lol
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?