So how can i build up downpicking stamina???
im learning MOP and james hetfields a downpicker so i figured if im gonna learn a song i want to learn it authentically
so how can i?

elf
Downpick mid-tempo punk songs. I used to be abled to play Misfits' Scream entirely with down picks. Lost the stamina when I learned to alternate.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
yeah, MOP is a great song to learn for downpicking, ive started learning it too
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Metronome, practice.

Thats what I do, trying to build up to MoP speed myself, so if anyone got any good advice I'd be happy.

Originally posted by kornrules09
well if it comes with pick, I say get it!
Try Shadows Fall - Destroyer Of Senses
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Best way is to put a metronome on at 80, and downpick for 20 minutes at that tempo. It doesn't matter what you do as long as it is all downpicked.

Do this every day, and raise the tempo either everyday if you feel comfortable, or every couple of days...

The beauty part of this is that you can do it while watching tv.

Lewis
If anyone's interested about this, i had the same problem and thats what a guitar tutor at my college told me. It's pretty similar to working out, its more about indurance than speed.

Btw, pick 8th notes! forgot to mention that :P
In Master of Puppets there are Alternate Picking parts, what James Hetfield Downpicks for are "Heavy" riffs such as the presolo to Master of Puppets or the verse parts in Enter Sandman. Hetfield uses alternate picking when needed, For example Metal Militia or Fight Fire With Fire.
Slightly elevating your hand or not anchoring while performing similar excersises may help improve stamina.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Green_Jelly
Downpick mid-tempo punk songs. I used to be abled to play Misfits' Scream entirely with down picks. Lost the stamina when I learned to alternate.

That's not normal, you shouldn't literally "loose" it.
I basiaclly only use downstrokes since i started playing, take songs you'd usually alternate pick, and just downpick them, that works alright
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Check out for the intro riff of Creeping Death and Blackened, they are easier than MoP and is good to start building stamina.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Just play songs you know with only downpicking, start with a slower one and work your way up to Master of Puppets.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398