Hey guys! I got an RG570 and when I got it I realized that it has 4 springs with .09s strings.

Is there any problem with that? I mean, the knife edge wasn't very good when I got it, so I had to set the spring claw more towards the wall, and then it was just fine. (it had super slinkys on)

Later on I tried .09s still using the 4 springs but with a different string brand. I got the D'addarios XL .09s strings. They have the same gauge as the slinkys, but ammazingly enough, it pulled my tremolo up even more. So I had to tight the screws of the spring claw even MORE!

Now that I am using a ESP arming adjuster, I had to set the spring claw a little more tighter... And after a few days it goes out of tune again. I want to adjust a little better the ESP arming adjuster, but I am afraid to tight the screws too much. So my question is: if I use 3 springs, will I have to loose the screws in the spring claw? (The furthest away the better for me, so that I can adjust the ESP adjuster a little better)

Sorry for the long post! But it had to be detailed :P
dont worry about the number. its best to have a level bridge.

so if u need 4 springs with looser screws that's fine.
if u want 3 springs in the "\l/" shape, with tighter screws, that's also fine.

u'll have to judge for urself what holds it balanced and in tune the best.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
on my floyd guitar i have two springs and 9-42 DR strings.... so two also works.. just depends on what feels good to you..
Quote by jj1565
dont worry about the number. its best to have a level bridge.

so if u need 4 springs with looser screws that's fine.
if u want 3 springs in the "\l/" shape, with tighter screws, that's also fine.

u'll have to judge for urself what holds it balanced and in tune the best.

The thing is that the 4 springs is not loosen at all! The claw screws are almost at the limit of the wall. And I still need to make some adjustments on the ESP arming adjuster
well then 5 springs. if ur saying that 4 isnt holding it then put in another spring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Can't use 5 springs... I am using a ESP arming adjuster. So there is no way to fit 5 springs in there. =\

(Invalid img)

This is it ;D
^oh ok i guess that's like a tremol-no?

anyhoo. tighten that, or take it off if it isnt working.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It is working, it keeps the bridge in place when I bend and all... But I just wanted it to last a little more than a day in tune
you can try new springs. if those are the original springs came with the guitar, they might not work very well anymore.
plus they also sell heavier springs.

sorry i would have said this sooner, but i just thought of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i got a question, the springs are there to equal the tension of the strings right, which can be achieved by using two, three or four springs or whatever and all those ways with the smae set of strings should have the same amount of tension? if so then why does 2 springs feel different to 3 springs which feels different to 4 springs?
Quote by Diamond Dave
i got a question, the springs are there to equal the tension of the strings right, which can be achieved by using two, three or four springs or whatever and all those ways with the smae set of strings should have the same amount of tension? if so then why does 2 springs feel different to 3 springs which feels different to 4 springs?

I thought they did, but apparently different brand of strings with the same gauge have different tensions. Maybe because of the material?
^because if u can keep the bridge level or floating with just 2 springs, then that means u dont have very much pull on the neck with that set of strings, with that nut, those saddles, that style bridge, and how it's attached to the body of the strat.

it's an easy movement, back and forth.

if u need 5 springs to keep that bridge level, then the other end is probably yanking at the bridge pretty hard. so, 5 springs is what's keeping it level or even tight against the body.
that will make it tougher for trem usage.

sometimes it's what's needed to keep a fickle guitar in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

That's just fine. I had 2 springs on mine as stock and it was just too sensitive. Changing pitch when I'm just resting my hand on the bridge, so Ive got 3 now and it's dandy.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Ill try and answer all the Qs

Diamond Dave:
2/3/4 springs all have different tension. 2 springs would leave the trem very sensitive and it may affect your bending. 4 would give more tension then 3 and this has certain advantage, your bending wont make the bridge go up too much (but it still does) but the disadvantage would be your bridge is stiffer than 3 springs.

3 springs are the most default settings as its not too stiff/loose and applicable to most guitars with FRs. Another one is angling the springs, by angling you'll add a bit more tension to the springs. So angled 3 would have more tension then parallel 3 but lesser than 4 springs (used best on 10s).

The lifting of the bridge incident during string changing can be caused by; your knife edge or posts may move a bit/strings arent properly stretched/different company-material/spring tension at the back resets and not back to normal/etc..

HeadacheBR:
For best result of the ESP arming adjuster on 9s, you can just use 3 springs parallel. Take note that the ESP arming adjuster is quite strong, as the matter of fact, you can put it side by side with the Ibanez 1987 backstopper system which has double springs and you'd still have the ESP arming adjuster with only 1 spring have the same, if not greater tension.

There is also another hefty combination, a Tremol-no + ESP arming adjuster. That'll eat up all the space you have in the cavity and added extra weight
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
madpick, so if I use three springs, how would I set them up with the ESP adjuster being in the middle of the cavity?

||I/

I Being the adjuster?
no dont angle one side. ull pull towards one side.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What i prefer to do is just normally have your 3 springs all parallel like so | | | . Leaving 2 slots on where you could put the adjuster between the 1st-2nd spring or the 2nd-3rd spring.

There's also another solution like so

Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Mar 16, 2007,
Since my ESP adjuster is already screwed in the middle, I will leave it at that and try to work with that set up on the pics.

But what I don't get is, if I remove one of my springs, the bridge is going to be way up and there will be no tension to pull it back (since I am going to remove 1 spring). And the ESP adjuster does not affect the way the tremolo is pushed towards the spring claw, only away right?
i believe you can adjust the stiffness of the thing. Twist the thumbwheel or something
Thats what she said...
UGmusic