I've been playing a lot of funk shit recently and I was wondering what your opinions were on the best brand and model strings for funk playing. I'm looking for something that will work with some of the old jamiroquai lines as well as old-skool funk such as Sly and the Family Stone, The Meters, and some old Bootsy Collins shit. I've been looking into Some DR sigs (Bootsy and Miller) mainly but I am looking for opinions on these as well as suggestions. Also I was wondering where the best (cheapest and most reliable) place to pick up strings is? Links please?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
the strings shouldnt make much of a difference, seeing as the tone comes from you as a bass player, and your gear.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
the strings shouldnt make much of a difference, seeing as the tone comes from you as a bass player, and your gear.

Strings make a large difference in tone.

DR High Beams are great for slap, as are the Miller sigs.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by rhcp_freak

I realize that much of the funk sound comes from personal playing style and gear however strings do act as a large factor in overall tone. Also I am a fretless player and for some types of funk, flatwounds don't exactly sound right.

And to CanadianPunk, I was looking at the millers and the high-beams. In your opinion are the high-beams or the low-riders better for jamiroquai type lines?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
Last edited by Beast_Within at Mar 15, 2007,
just go for elixirs, they work fine with any genre and last for ages
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Quote by dudeman_andy
just go for elixirs, they work fine with any genre and last for ages

I know they are good all around but how well do they hold up as far as slap. Do you get a deep tone or a tinny metallic one.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by canadianpunk071
Strings make a large difference in tone.

DR High Beams are great for slap, as are the Miller sigs.

oh sorry, just forget about what i said. im a guitarist you see, but i would like to take up bass
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I would have said flatwounds would be best for most funk, but then roundwounds would sound better for more modern stuff
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I would have said flatwounds would be best for most funk, but then roundwounds would sound better for more modern stuff

The ones I'm playing are Warwicks and they have a great deep tone which is good for some funk but the slap and pop tone is very different than that of rounwounds. I'm just looking for suggestions on the best set of roudwounds for funk.
Quote by Caustic
Roto's!!!!!!!

What model specifically?
Quote by Caustic
I find Hybrid Slinkies are perfect for pretty much everything.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I'm using Roto Swing 45-105 on my bass atm as well. Damn sexy slap tone. Little bit bitey, a tiny bit harsh. Cuts through the mix quite well, if that's what you're looking for...

Very nice strings though.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
flatwounds are great for any genre to me. I actually have 4 extra sets on my computer desk
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
I've always found GHS Bass Boomers to do the trick for slap.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.