I've been playing the same acoustic for about 7 years now, and am ready for a change. I'm a relatively advanced player, and am obviously going to choose one based on feel and sound, but I am just looking for any outside input on different brands and types. I play mainly rock music, and also play a lot of classic finger picking stuff, like Eric Clapton and so forth.

Just looking for some personal opinions on some different brands and models from people with similar styles that maybe I wouldn't have considered trying out. Looking to spend about $1000-$1500. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryder
Last edited by ryder_14 at Mar 15, 2007,
what guitars do you already own? just kind of trying to get an idea of what you have considered desireable in the past as well as features that your current guitars might not have that you might be interested in checking out.

the first guitar that came to mind aside from run of the mill suggestions (i.e. taylor 300 & 400 series, martin D-16) is a new guitar that Martin just started making this year. it's called the MMV. i had a chance to play one recently at my local guitar center and i was quite impressed with it. it has solid sitka spruce for the soundboard and solid indian rosewood for the back and sides. it's got that great martin tone and is a couple hundred cheaper than the D-16. they had it tagged at $1379.99 i believe. it's got white binding (which i'm partial towards myself), a great-looking rosette, and gold hardware. if you come across one, check it out! also, the D-15 custom has the same combo of solid tonewoods, but it sells for like $999.99. if taylor's are your thing... i think the 414 would be an awesome choice to accomodate you since you like to mix it up between rock and fingerpicking.
I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out the Larrivee's. They are EXCEPTIONAL guitars for the money. They are around the $1000 range and beat out many of the taylors and such in the same or higher price range. They are all solid wood construction. I currently own a Larrivee L-O3R and handpicked it out in a room full of Taylors, Martins and other high ends. http://www.larrivee.com/flash/products/products.html
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
if your into the old school things i would get a martin,taylor, ot a breedlove....maybe even an alvarez... but honestly i would personally go for an ovation... i have on which i got for about 1300, beats out martins of a higher price IMO
Quote by jimtaka
what guitars do you already own? just kind of trying to get an idea of what you have considered desireable in the past as well as features that your current guitars might not have that you might be interested in checking out.

the first guitar that came to mind aside from run of the mill suggestions (i.e. taylor 300 & 400 series, martin D-16) is a new guitar that Martin just started making this year. it's called the MMV. i had a chance to play one recently at my local guitar center and i was quite impressed with it. it has solid sitka spruce for the soundboard and solid indian rosewood for the back and sides. it's got that great martin tone and is a couple hundred cheaper than the D-16. they had it tagged at $1379.99 i believe. it's got white binding (which i'm partial towards myself), a great-looking rosette, and gold hardware. if you come across one, check it out! also, the D-15 custom has the same combo of solid tonewoods, but it sells for like $999.99. if taylor's are your thing... i think the 414 would be an awesome choice to accomodate you since you like to mix it up between rock and fingerpicking.

My electric guitars are a Fender Strat and a Gibson SG. My acoustic is an older Fender. I actually love the sound of my acoustic, the feel just isn't doing it for me anymore.

I actually played the 414 the other day, and it had a great feel to it. I checked out the MMV on musiciansfriend and it had good reviews. I'm gonna check it out and see what I think
Quote by Burtonjp
I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out the Larrivee's. They are EXCEPTIONAL guitars for the money. They are around the $1000 range and beat out many of the taylors and such in the same or higher price range. They are all solid wood construction. I currently own a Larrivee L-O3R and handpicked it out in a room full of Taylors, Martins and other high ends. http://www.larrivee.com/flash/products/products.html

Ya, I've never played a larrivee before. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the help
In the $1000 range, I think the Breedlove is the best of the bunch. I tried a ton before I settled on mine. Definitely try one out before you buy. Great strumming guitar. Sounds terrific plugged or not. I started out looking at Taylors and Martins, but I just thought Breedlove crushed 'em in the "bang for your buck" category.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
guild makes some nice stuff in that price range too. they don't get a lot of attention but I love um. Wish I could afford one.