I have no troubles learning, improving and all that glory with scales and modes and arpeggios and the such (mostly by ear but I know the knowledge). My big problems is timing.

I'm usually ok with drum+bass player but that's because I don't have to think about it. I just jam to their beat.

But when it comes to me holding my own beat, if I do just a little bit over a regular little riff to change chords my timing goes to hell. I can't keep the timing if I fully try to solo.

Would simply playing every day every time to a metronome eventually build up towards being able to keep that timing in my head as I solo w/o a metronome? Or is it always best to just perma-play with some type of beat keeper?

Basically, the simple question is, do you think timing is possible to subconciously "learn"?
I think that the best way to "subconsciously" learn to keep in time is to go around your normal buisiness during the day, and whenever you hear music just tap to it and keep that. You can do this with anything, roadworks are quite good.

Anything will do, it will just get you into the habit of keeping a beat without accompaniment, which may help when you solo so you know the beat. No ones going to shout at you for playing a note slightly longer than it should, just make sure that you know what the beat is doing and you will be fine.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Good advice, never thought to do that.

Also yeah, when I hold a note too long, I try to hold it a bit longer just until it sounds like I meant to do it. I just do that automaticly if i mess up from habit.
Quote by Xerk
Also yeah, when I hold a note too long, I try to hold it a bit longer just until it sounds like I meant to do it. I just do that automaticly if i mess up from habit.

Thats good thinking, really as long as the audience see that you think you know what youre doing, theyll be happy. If youre playing in an exam or someone who knows the song well then I advise not to do that, and just learn the timing.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
metronome, more or less end of story. the thing is most people aren't born with the innate ability of keeping absolutely perfect time. but the more you play with a metronome or drum machine the more you will get used to it and eventually you will "learn" to play in time, the more often you do it, the better you will get at it.