I'm getting more serious about my playing and I have already planned out my pedal board. The thing is, I don't understand where to place certain effects in the chain, and up until a month ago, I didn't even know it mattered and just put everything in between my guitar and the amps input. Can someone explain the term "true bypass" and maybe let me know why certain effects should go where?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
first of all its EHX not EH

second.

the true bypass means it does nothing to clog your tone. if you have a non true bypass, itll clog your tone, from different ranges of clogging, depending on the quality of the buffer.
And what exactly does clogging your tone mean? Adding bass? treble? or what else? please explain.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
And what exactly does clogging your tone mean? Adding bass? treble? or what else? please explain.

makes it sound worse, or it just depends on the pedal.

really it just sucks your tone away.
hmm...your effects should be something like this:

compressor/sustainer >>> distortion/overdrive/fuzz (effects that detect an envelope) >>> delay >>> chorus/phaser >>> reverb >>> wah

that's about how you should set them up usually, or at least if i'm not mistaken...i have a little notebook with all of them set up but it's at my bassist's house and can't remember exactly the order...it's something like this though. there's some variations where you would put the chorus before the delay to get an extra delay-sounding effect.

EDIT: i think you can put a noisegate after your distortion/overdrive/fuzz since those are the noisiest effects. a lot of people put their compressor/sustainers after the distortion/overdrive/fuzz, but that just gives you a lot of feedback.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by Arlabester
the true bypass means it does nothing to clog your tone. if you have a non true bypass, itll clog your tone, from different ranges of clogging, depending on the quality of the buffer.

Assuming, of course, that the pedal uses a buffer. It could also simply switch the signal path at the output (half-assed bypass), or use some other switching method.

Also, a tr00 bypass pedal, when switched off, is essentially a length of wire, which can also suck some tone. So true bypass isn't a silver bullet solution for tone loss. What true bypass means is that, when bypassed, the effect circuit is completely, physically eliminated from the signal path.

Quote by USAPeavey

Clogging tone (though I must admit I've never heard that expression before) means that you'll lose some parts of your signal, starting with treble. This makes your guitar sound duller and more lifeless.
Quote by Arlabester
first of all its EHX not EH

first of all
who the f*ck cares?

second

true bypass lets the unaffected tone trough the pedal when the pedal is off
it does that even when the pedal doesnt have a battery in it
or is connected to a wall outlet

a buffer changes ur tone somewhat
for example
my vox v847 drains quite a bit of treble out of my tone when off cuz its not TB

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
first of all
who the f*ck cares?

me.

it bugs me when people dont get things right.
its not that its "not right"

i mean if you say ehx or eh...big f*ckin deal

ehx just implies that -x at the end of harmonix
while eh just is the first letters

come on...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
its not that its "not right"

i mean if you say ehx or eh...big f*ckin deal

ehx just implies that -x at the end of harmonix
while eh just is the first letters

come on...

http://ehx.com/

[/arguement]
Quote by Arlabester
http://ehx.com/

[/arguement]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry but thats class hahaa

anyway, true bypass is when you have your guitar going through your pedals and whatnot- and when it gets to your amp it sounds the same (when the pedals aren't turned on of course) than if you were to plug your crable straight from your guitar to your amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry but thats class hahaa

anyway, true bypass is when you have your guitar going through your pedals and whatnot- and when it gets to your amp it sounds the same (when the pedals aren't turned on of course) than if you were to plug your crable straight from your guitar to your amp