Just wondering, how do you guys learn songs? Do you practice one song until you have it completely memorized? Or do you practice some of it then move on to other ones in the meantime? btw, how long does iut take you to memorize..say something like the Sweet Child O' Mine solo. (Just the solo, not the outro), Because I have been working on thsi for two days and can't seem to get anywhere. Is it better if I do multiple songs at a time instead of getting frustrated with just one?
Be cool.
It'll take you a long time to learn Sweet child If youre a beginner, so keep at it.

For a regular song that I want to learn, i learn one part and move on to another song.

And for Band practice, if i have to learn 3 new songs in a couple of days, i learn the whole song at once so i can learn it faster and stay in the mood of that song.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
If it's a more difficult song I generally learn it in parts, but easier songs I learn in bulk.

For example, I'm currently trying to learn Canon Rock (cant get the sweep picking) and Little Wing, and I do those piece by piece.

But in the meantime I've learned a ton of easy songs, I generally just print four or five tabs, learn them, and figure whichever ones I remember how to play the next week are the ones that are worth knowing.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
looks like you've just started playing since christmas.... ok.
dont take it the wrong way but to be honest, if you try to play a song like this after only 3 months its gonna be reaaaal difficult to get the hang of playing w/ ALL or MOST of the correct technique. its better -WAY better- to start w/ some less complicated songs. keeping in tempo....that is REAL important if you want to do the song justice.
so here is wut i can recommend...

find a friend who plays guitar also, preferably one who's got experience. get him to play some kind of rythm and YOU practice soloing (using scales of course) over it. if you dont know anything about scales, the choice of notes slash uses wont make sense and u'll be like a robot...playing ONLY wut you see. NOT rock n roll buddy... if u played it in front of people and forgot a part wut would you do?!?! now if you know at least ur minor pentatonic (basic scale all rockers need to know) you can improvise till you get back on track. THAT is rock n roll. being able to hold urself up like that is VERY important. not many people here on UG really say that to the new wave of amateur guitarists but its something that they NEED to know if they plan on improving at a higher rate than most players.

another thing you can do is play the cd and pause after a phrase of soloing....look at ur tabs....then try really hard to recreate that. PLEASE PLEASE dont half-ass the phrase just so you can go on to the next part. one correctly played phrase of that incredible song WILL sound better than a shitty attempt at all the parts- you might play all the right notes but if u play them out of tempo...without the rite hammerons etc. it will sound SOOOOO amateur.

well i hope you can get wut im trying to say....
i feel real strong on this type of subject b/c 1) G N R are my all time favorite band ever and 2) i use all my advice im giving you and give it to my friends who play guitar. it helps them improve soooo much (not to sound so proud but its tru)

once u understand the connection in the notes you play u will overall be able to play the whole song better. u mite think some of this info is whack but i wouldn't be telling you this if i didn't go thru the same thing...and luckily i found this stuff out and b/c of it improved on my level of playing.

well buddy, this was more about your playing overall than it was about playing Sweet Child O' Mine rite....but you apply THIS advice to ALL the songs you wanna learn....and you'll be coming up w/ riffs and solos that sound better than someone who's been playing 5 years more than you. think it's B.S.? i'm proof that its not man.

enuff w/ this now you need to get to rock n rollin baby!!
good chat keep this stuff in mind as long as u play and u wont lose the desire to keep playing like half the people who pick up a guitar
Quote by slash_rocks2005
looks like you've just started playing since christmas.... ok.
dont take it the wrong way but to be honest, if you try to play a song like this after only 3 months its gonna be reaaaal difficult to get the hang of playing w/ ALL or MOST of the correct technique. its better -WAY better- to start w/ some less complicated songs. keeping in tempo....that is REAL important if you want to do the song justice.
so here is wut i can recommend...

find a friend who plays guitar also, preferably one who's got experience. get him to play some kind of rythm and YOU practice soloing (using scales of course) over it. if you dont know anything about scales, the choice of notes slash uses wont make sense and u'll be like a robot...playing ONLY wut you see. NOT rock n roll buddy... if u played it in front of people and forgot a part wut would you do?!?! now if you know at least ur minor pentatonic (basic scale all rockers need to know) you can improvise till you get back on track. THAT is rock n roll. being able to hold urself up like that is VERY important. not many people here on UG really say that to the new wave of amateur guitarists but its something that they NEED to know if they plan on improving at a higher rate than most players.

another thing you can do is play the cd and pause after a phrase of soloing....look at ur tabs....then try really hard to recreate that. PLEASE PLEASE dont half-ass the phrase just so you can go on to the next part. one correctly played phrase of that incredible song WILL sound better than a shitty attempt at all the parts- you might play all the right notes but if u play them out of tempo...without the rite hammerons etc. it will sound SOOOOO amateur.

well i hope you can get wut im trying to say....
i feel real strong on this type of subject b/c 1) G N R are my all time favorite band ever and 2) i use all my advice im giving you and give it to my friends who play guitar. it helps them improve soooo much (not to sound so proud but its tru)

once u understand the connection in the notes you play u will overall be able to play the whole song better. u mite think some of this info is whack but i wouldn't be telling you this if i didn't go thru the same thing...and luckily i found this stuff out and b/c of it improved on my level of playing.

well buddy, this was more about your playing overall than it was about playing Sweet Child O' Mine rite....but you apply THIS advice to ALL the songs you wanna learn....and you'll be coming up w/ riffs and solos that sound better than someone who's been playing 5 years more than you. think it's B.S.? i'm proof that its not man.

enuff w/ this now you need to get to rock n rollin baby!!
good chat keep this stuff in mind as long as u play and u wont lose the desire to keep playing like half the people who pick up a guitar

I forgot to mention I can sight read the whole song, not throughly, but I can play it at its normal pace. Its just some parts I **** up on. I'm not as much a newbie as you may think. I practice way too much (4 hours + everyday) and some people think I have been playing a year or two(this coming from actual guitar players.) Yes I know pentatonic scales etc etc. I am sorry, I have no idea what exactly you were getting at because it all seemed like mumbo jumbo.
Be cool.
well of course it does, i typed wut i was thinking....its hard to really make you understand without you thinking JUST like i do when i play guitar and improvise...
so when u sightread is it real sheet music or tab? sightreading is (im pretty sure) reading sheet music...with music symbols and all not tabs.
ok you know pentatonic scales? now do you know ALL the box positions of the minor pentatonic? or just the home position?
there IS a reason i ask all those questions.
well if you practice 4 + hrs a day then that is really good man, i make the assumption that most people who start guitar dont actually play it that much till they actually have better self confidence. only b/c i see that in everyone around here who picks up a guitar and realizes there's work involved to sound good.
dont mistake anything i say for any kind of attack at your skill
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well of course it does, i typed wut i was thinking....its hard to really make you understand without you thinking JUST like i do when i play guitar and improvise...
so when u sightread is it real sheet music or tab? sightreading is (im pretty sure) reading sheet music...with music symbols and all not tabs.
ok you know pentatonic scales? now do you know ALL the box positions of the minor pentatonic? or just the home position?
there IS a reason i ask all those questions.
well if you practice 4 + hrs a day then that is really good man, i make the assumption that most people who start guitar dont actually play it that much till they actually have better self confidence. only b/c i see that in everyone around here who picks up a guitar and realizes there's work involved to sound good.
dont mistake anything i say for any kind of attack at your skill

No, I know you weren't trying to attack my skill. Its TAB that I sight read. I thought the term applied to TAB also, but oh well. I know all the box positions and such. I practice on the guitar itself 4 hours +, then after I usually read up on musical theory for about an hour. But I think I might come back to the song when I am ready and practice some others in the meantime.
Be cool.