So i've been figuring out how to relic a guitar and have been playing with all sorts or techniques that I've read. The guitar I was practicing on was an old vintage MIJ guitar. Let me know how u think it turned out....the finish was solid cept for the massive hole lol, not sure how that happened but whatever. i think i will be doing my bass in a more laid back but similar way.

Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
yeah, and the hardware could be rustier, think you went too far with sanding and stuff though.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
cool thanks, this guitar just sits around so i wasn't trying to get it to look relicd, just testing the techniques and stuff.....but thanks !
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Is the action on that guitar too high, or is it just me?

Good relic job, kinda reminds me of John Frusciantes strat.
Nice lookin guitar too, what does it play like? Sound?
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quite a nice guitar you've got there, but my god those strings are high off the body (as are the neck and pickups for that matter).
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
lol the action is super super low, there not high at all, just looks like that cause the body is so much lower and pups are so high, the electronics and tuners are kinda shoddy, but if i was to put work into it it would be great, sounds decent though as is.
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
i actually like the guitars style,i think itd be nice to have one,but id replace the p/u's,the relic is a bit over done,it has a vintage body,but the hardware is new looking...
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
yea......i never use this guitar, i was just testing techniques so i could do a solid good job on my fretless fender bass. which i just did and am going to add final touches too and upload pics tomorrow.
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I don't understand why people like to destroy their guitars. but oh well, i guess it does look old and beat up, so good job.
yeh, just beat up the pickup covers and it will look awesome dude.

ps:more pics
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by Wilki
I don't understand why people like to destroy their guitars. but oh well, i guess it does look old and beat up, so good job.

I agree with this. I find "relicing" extremely, mind-numblingly lame, even if it's fairly well done like this one is.

Yes, worn guitars look gorgeous, but a pre-worn guitar has NO mojo whatsoever. Jike stonewash jeans are the opposite of rock n' roll, so is a pre-relic'd guitar.
okay i've been doing this on my black jazz bass, and i've hit a snag i would like some help with................i've worn out two spots, one by where my thumb would rest on the body and one where my arm would be. the wearing down left scratches outside where its worn down........how can i hide or remove these scratches? using a black gloss paint? help thanks!
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I think that looks pretty damn natural, good job.

How'd you do it then?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by epy
okay i've been doing this on my black jazz bass, and i've hit a snag i would like some help with................i've worn out two spots, one by where my thumb would rest on the body and one where my arm would be. the wearing down left scratches outside where its worn down........how can i hide or remove these scratches? using a black gloss paint? help thanks!

How deep are the scratches? I mean it'll look vintage with them anyway, but black shoe polish or t-cut would work for smaller scratches.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
If the scratches are superficial, fine sanding and a little buffing might do it... After all, arm-wear is really smooth.
awsome thanks so much!!
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by R_H_C_P
I think that looks pretty damn natural, good job.

How'd you do it then?

steel wool, sand paper, a hammer , and some wood finish for the old guitar
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com