Ok like many others, im a huge SRV fan.

I love to listen to his music and play his style, the only problem is when i try to attempt his style. I keep playing on the first position pentatonic scale and all my improvising stuff sounds the same, ALL of it.

I'd really love to expand my SRV style and be more capable of playing his music.

What stuff would you guys recommend for me?

Cheers,
Dave
I'd recommend the blues forum in the Bands and Artists section.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
use the whole scale, not just the first position. you might wanna use some of the techniques he uses, like trills and stuff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
the problem is... you're ATTEMPTING to play his style. and you will never achieve anything near his style by mere parrotting. throw out all of your sheet music. stop listening to SRV. erase your knowledge-banks of any and all theory.
only then can you rebuild yourself, and reshape your sound and style
^ +1

you can use some of his techniques, like digging in hard with the pick for really emotive blues, in your own playing to improve your own style; but you'll never be able to perfectly imitate him - i've seen a lot of people try this and they just end up becoming a kind of generic SRV wannabe. people like hendrix and SRV were so good because they were unique, and they were doing something that noone else was doing.
Quote by sethp
the problem is... you're ATTEMPTING to play his style. and you will never achieve anything near his style by mere parrotting. throw out all of your sheet music. stop listening to SRV. erase your knowledge-banks of any and all theory.

I agree with his general idea but his idea of you forgeting all your theory is just dumb. Theory is a tool that will never hurt you. There's basically no reason not to learn it. You gotta know the rules before you break them. Oh, and listen to the people that inspiried SRV.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by sethp

you have to know the rules before you can break them. I disagree with what you say. Playing from sheet music improves your playing and you can learn great licks and techniques from copying someone.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.